New to AR- in 204 ruger

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

New to AR- in 204 ruger

Post by hemiallen »

Pretty much new to the 204 ruger also, but expanding my collection rapidly. I picked up an SPS rem 26" stainless fluted varmint, put a shim under the front action screw to reduce forend pressure ( has worked before to get an idea of freefloating) and loaded 34 grain dogtowns , 39 Blitzkings and with the crappy breaking rem trigger at ~ 2.5# got all 4 groups under or right at an inch, and the holes that opened up 3 or 4 holes above 1/2" were called "poor breaks) so I feel it will be more likely a 1/2" gun with the new Jewell trigger.

I have coming a VLS 204, and also a DPMS upper in 204. Addressing the DPMS, their website says "designed for sub 35 gn", but the seller says it does well with 40 gn Bergers.

Anyone have a DPMS ( sst fluted 24") upper verify this, and /or suggest a bullet to try?

I have been reloading for rifle and pistols for 35 years, but always learning something from everyone....

Redding 2 die set w/ lee neck sizer, but haven't reloaded anything but new brass so far. BTW, I have a boatload of H335, and hope to burn it up before switching to maybe 10x. I also reload for a 221 FB, so shared powder is good also, but it likes H335, 40 BT's into 1/2" or less, in a CZ that I had to pillar bed to shoot under 2"....

Thanks for any help

Allen
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Re: New to AR- in 204 ruger

Post by jwc41 »

I've loaded for a 24" DPMS-barrelled parts gun for a couple of years. Mine likes the 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKings the best, with the Nosler 32 grain Ballistic Tips a close second. With the 39 BK shooting so well I haven't tried the 40 grainers. Nor have I tried the 35 gr. Bergers in the AR, probably because they found their niche in my bolt 204's and because I feel more comfortable feeding the plastic-tip bullets through an AR's magazine.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks

Interesting on the feeding, I had not thought of that.

Any loads the sierra 39's your DPMS liked you can share?

I was thinking of trying some rel 10x also.

Thanks

Allen
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

I've settled on 27.0 grains of H4895. While less than max in my gun, that's my barrel's sweet spot for the 39 gr. BK. I haven't tried 10x.

I found that GI 20 round mags are nearly perfect for a 204 AR. They are the best compromise between capacity and shootability off a rest or prone and they offer nearly the longest cartridge over-all length capacity. The most generous is an HK 20 rounder, but I don't see them offered for sale any more--only the 30 rounders. The popular Mag-Pul P-mag, great for 5.56 GI ball, is way too short for long loading. I like to load my AR 204's as long as physically possible, with just a tiny bit of clearance, as my barrel seems to prefer it that way. It is my belief that the tip of the plastic-tipped bullets offer less resistance than a lead or hollow-point bullet if they come in contact with the inside front of the mag during shooting. I have not experienced any magazine related hang-ups after a several thousand rounds.

This is what works for me. I'd be interested to hear what works for you.