To build or not to build, that is the question

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

To build or not to build, that is the question

Post by DarkNight »

So I've been wanting an AR in 204 for some time now. I've looked at DPMS, Remington, Bushmaster, this website, other websites, & on & on.

I reload the 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings for my bolt rifle and would most likely use this particular bullet in my AR, whenever it comes into being.

My question is this: how difficult is it to build my own AR? I read a lot of posts and there is a lot I need to learn about... Giselle triggers, complete lowers, complete uppers, free-float tubes, picatinny rails, etc. Is it a matter of picking which complete upper I want and attaching it to whatever lower I choose? I guess I need some sage advice from several experienced AR builders.

I am mechanically inclined but by no means a gunsmith so if it takes specialty tools to build my own, perhaps I should be ordering a complete Bushmaster or DPMS but to give you an idea of what type of shooter I am, I like by bullet holes to connect as often as possible....it's just the way I am! :mrgreen: Is it possible to achieve that type of accuracy from a complete, production AR?

Thanks,
DarkNight
-Relentless pursuit-
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: To build or not to build, that is the question

Post by Captqc »

Dark, it's not hard at all to build an AR! But you should get a few items to help the assembly go well.
1. AR wrench (around $25)
2. Assembly Block (around $30)
3. Good punch set (around $20)
AR's are like Ruger 10/22's, there is no limit to the imagination when picking out what goodies you want.
Two areas to spend wisely are the Barrel and the Trigger.
Have fun and keep us posted.
Gary
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

Captqc- can I get those tools through Midway or Sinclair?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

DarkNight wrote:Captqc- can I get those tools through Midway or Sinclair?
Yes.

I'm a rookie in the AR world, but I was looking for almost the exact same product that you described. I ended up getting a heck of a deal on a complete Rock River Varminter, so that was my starting platform. Next I ordered a Krieger 24" bull barrel chambered in .204 and had a local gunsmith swap out the original .223 barrel for my new Krieger. I've done a couple of minor things like change the pistol grip, but otherwise the gun is completely stock. I barely have the new barrel broken in, but all signs point to this rifle performing as well as I had hoped.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Yup, the tools are available from places like Midway USA, Sinclair International, Brownells. Gary
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

I am amazed at the simplicity of design, and ease of assembly every time I try something new, it is easier than I thought.

I originally bought RRA stripped lowers and parts kits and assembled myself, using an armorers manual. Then I bought two complete uppers. I did alot of reading before I did any of this. But they pop right in with two pins. Add a nice NM 2 stage trigger and both rifles shoot and function great. With factory ammo and hand loads. My varminter shoots. 33" groups at 100, all day.

I just got my first barrel and will be building my first upper as well. This will also be my first 204.

There are some things you need to know. You can mess up, but avoiding that just requires some knowledge and consideration. It's not rocket science, it's more like hypervelocity 'bb' science.
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

So another rookie question, I'm looking at the JP handguards and like these...

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg.php

My question is this: When I buy a JP free-float tube is this what they are talking about? Is it just the handguard or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help!
DarkNight
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Darknight, that's whats called a free floating handguard which means that it mounts only at the receiver and not out at the gas block end. This eliminates the stress on the barrel from the handguard. Free floating handguards come with a special barrel nut which the handguard attaches to and each company does the barrel nut their own way (some even provide a special wrench to mount the nut). Hope that helps. Gary
bigcatdaddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Darknight...

I know how you feel. Never built one myself either....but today I took the plunge. I ordered a DPMS upper kit from Midway with the same handguard you posted, and a Shilen 204 barrel with a matched bolt from Midway as well. Scrounged some parts, some on ebay, and some from Midway. Guess I'll be starting on her in a couple weeks.

My buddy is laughing a bit as we are shooters, not 'smiths. But I keep telling him I get half my kick out of putting it together and then using it. Hoping to pull some good groupings at 200-300 out of her...rodents and 'yotes will be it's main use. Friend says I'll never be happy with 300 yd accuracy building it myself....I'm hoping to make him eat his words.

Post some pics along the way if you do build.
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

When I recently completed my first upper (I have built 2 lowers already), I was like...that was it?

If you do your own brakes and oil changes, and can follow instructions, you can build an AR.
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

So I bought the AR-Stoner multi tool (Product #: 271183) at Midway to use for torquing on the rifle length receiver extension (buffer tube) and noticed the hole in the middle that I put over the end of the buffer tube would slip, preventing me from getting a good torque on it.

The buffer tube is a DPMS. Do you guys have any advice on a better tool that will fit over the end of the buffer tube better? Or am I doing this torquing incorrectly?

Thanks,