DPMS LR-204

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

DPMS LR-204

Post by abqautoxer »

This weekend was the debut weekend for me with a CZ 527 in 204 and my dad and I had a blast. He was using my 17HMR but often most of the targets were about 150-250 yards and the ones he could hit with the 17 just limped away. So I'm looking for another 204 for him to borrow we when go.

I have an opportunity to buy a DPMS LR-204 with less than 50 rounds through it and looks to be in excellent shape for $750. Any reason to pass on this and build one? This seems cheaper than I could do it myself and is only a trigger and grip away from being exactly what I want. Background is that I was a Marine and have a lot of experience with the M16A2 as I was a rifle coach so I am excited to buy my first AR-15.
Tom
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Re: DPMS LR-204

Post by jwc41 »

It's a mixed bag for me with DPMS.

I built my own 204 AR several years ago when DPMS began selling their 24" fluted barrel. I got one from Brownells and got a DPMS hi-rise upper from Midway. Although I didn't notice it at first, the upper was out of spec so badly that the gun rarely functioned properly for more than 5 shots in a row. I finally replaced it with a Model 1 flattop upper that works perfectly. However, the barrel is extremely accurate. After lapping and with handloads it likes (mostly with 39 gr. BK's) it is capable of sub .5 MOA groups all day long. Of course, a good trigger and good glass are a must.

If you can test fire it to rule out any obvious problems, the price sure seems right.
abqautoxer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by abqautoxer »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately its a shop that has so test firing is not an option. I was able to inspect/field strip it myself and it all looks to be in excellent condition but of course no way to tell if it will have issues you describe.
Tom
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I just built a ar 15 204 Ruger. 750.00 on a maybe would not get it for me. I built the midway usa ultimate ar. I found a local ffl to get me a Rock River stripped lower. Waited and bought dpms lower parts kit on sale. Later standard stock and buffer tube kit. Recently the rest of the upper, Model one upper Shilen Stainless match barrel with numbers match bolt. Gas block etc. Finish price for a tack driver, with limited discounts 965.00 with Nikon scope just under 1200.00 . Worth its weight in gold
BLUE72CAMARO
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS LR204 - AR15

Post by BLUE72CAMARO »

I recently bought a used lr204 that is in extremely good shape with a Jard single stage target trigger, a harris bipod, and target grip for $800 shipped to me for reference. Other than a couple issues with the trigger setup the gun runs perfectly and looks to be very promising on group sizes from what little I have shot it.