Newbee build

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
bigcatdaddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Re: Newbee build

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Yup, I like shooting coyotes and will def use this for that purpose...but main purpose will be PD's. I have found that at least for my 'yoting skill (daylight within 100 yds)...any old scope suits me fine.

I want a min of 20X at the high-end...but some scopes might offer 24-30. A friend last yr in MT let me plug a few with his .223 AR and topshelf Vortex. Have to tell ya I was impressed!

I would love to use some Luepold glass before buying. So far, there are other brands with as good a review as Luepold, for 100's $$ less. I don't mind paying for top-shelf, but I hate paying extra "fluff" for brand alone. Now if that brand surely offers better performance, then that's something different. Looks like I'm leaning towards a $400-500 Vortex tube as of now.

Tempted to put some of my cheapie scopes on it just to play. Patientce is something I need to learn.
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Ended up with a mid-range Vortex Viper 20X glass. Scope got here yesterday, rings arrive today.
Range trip this weekend if it's not snowing.
Starting with factory Hornady.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Awsome, I went with a Nikon 4 -12 x 40 I am pleased started barrel break in last weekend but quit after 25 rounds as I planned to use various load workups. 30 wind was just hard to hold steady. I want it dialed in perfect. from what I did shoot the consistance was the best I have ever seen, Good Luck I hope the vortex woorks out. When sightro came out I ordered a 6.5-24xx50mm Itwas only 300.00 then It was way backorder so orded Leupold 6.5-20X50mm it came next day and so did sightron. I sent sightron back! Wish I had kept it they have gotten Pricey. I am very happy so far with Nikon.
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Thx Valar. Have I seen your build pics yet?

Well here she be

I ordered "high" rings...knowing I'd need some elevation with the flatop. Problem is I need more height yet! Will probably pick up a picatinny elevated platform to give it some more riser.

So this Newb .204 build (assembly would be more appropriate) ended up with:
...Shilen 24" SS, 1:9
...Yankee Hill lower
...DPMS upper
...Gisselle 2-stage trigger
...JP Enterprises VTAC Modular free-flaot forend
...DPMS multi-position stock
...Vortex Viper, 30mm tube, 6.5-20 X 44mm with side-focus and sunshade
...High Burris 6-hole tactical rings

These aren't top-end rings by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, they're the most expensive I've ever put on a rig. Decided to pick up an alignment and lapping kit. Wow...these were dead-on aligned and lapping only removed what looks like some paint on the lateral aspect of the rings about 3 and 9 o'clock. Perhaps that was overkill?

Can't wait to she what she can do! Might have to "borrow" a bipod from one of the kids.

Added...if anyone would care to answer....what does one apply to the bare metal of inner ring surfaces after lapping, before you place the scope? Perhaps nothing?
Valar

Post by Valar »

I didnt take pics during build but i will post a few of completion. Going in the morn to finish break in and work on load work up. I have been reloading test bullets . When she snows I want to be ready for the yotes!
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

Looks good!

I put my old 3-9x40 nikon on mine for now. We put a 4-12x40 bushnell dusk to dawn on my sons rifle. It's nice.

I need the light gathering of the lower magnafications, since I'm hunting at night most of the time.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Big Cat. I noticed you did what I did, Take note builders, Go light on the anti seize on the barrel nut threads, Gads Im still getting residue! Go Light I used too Much!
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

yup...it comes off with some break-free or acetone though.
The Birchwood Black touch-up paint pen, worked just fine for my idiot marks.

Can you believe I still haven't got to the range with this baby yet!
Valar

Post by Valar »

Oh Man wait till you do. If it shoots like mine you will be amazed! Do you reload?
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Valar, I'm very new to reloading. Been reloading pistol for about 6 months and am getting very comfortable with it...380 ACP, 38/357, 45 colt and ACP. So decided it's time to try a rifle, shouldered cartridge, high velocity for accuracy....like the .204. I've got some new Redding dies, plenty of brass, primers, some Varget. Thought I'd start out with just one bullet at a time. Just picked up a small box of Sierra BK, 39 grainers.

Guess I'll dive in this winter some time after Christmas. Too much to do and too little time. For now, plan to break in the AR with factory Hornady.
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Well, I couldn't wait any longer...local range is still closed for another 1.5 months. Called my neighbor for permission to use his 100 yd lane. Snow was 3ft+ deep, I'd say thigh deep. Trudged 20 yds to his bench, cleared off mountains of snow. Temp was 3 degrees....subzero coming up so it was today or never. Spent 20 min trudging the 100 yds, cleared off backstop....and found my adhesive targets didn't like to stick too well. After alot of cursing, it stuck. Trudged back, setup, and finaly got bullets on paper.

36 clicks right and 32 clicks up....and WOW! This barrel is dead on. SubMOA but I wasn't walking back the 100 yds to measure as I was sure another trip through th snow would produce a stroke. :D This with Hornady factory rds, 32 grain.

All I need now is little snowmelt, and let the reloading begin! Going out to sit in a snowbank this weekend and call for Wiley Coyote.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

bigcatdaddy wrote:I ordered "high" rings...knowing I'd need some elevation with the flatop. Problem is I need more height yet! Will probably pick up a picatinny elevated platform to give it some more riser.
Your rings don't look like Burris's "Extra High" rings. If not, try them out. This is what I use and they are perfect!
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

They are the "highs". You can also see anther newbee mistake in my pic. Placed the scope for eye relief that felt good with my natural cheek placement....PROBLEM...too far reward to reach the charging handle. Fixed that problem today before the trip to the range.

I bought a riser platform...but didn't like it.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Hey Cat glad to here you got to shoot her , Make sure you be careful and break barrel in proper. My hunting buddy just ordered all the components to build the same rifle. I am going to oversee his construction. Bad news is barrel is on back order. I built same gun and as you have seen it is a tack driver. Only difference is I used a Les Baer Bolt Carrier. I also have a jewell trigger now and cant wait for a decent day to try it on paper! Trigger is smooth as glass. With this trigger I beleive this will shoot in the 2s. My stock dpms trigger kit was so gritty and long pull. Happy shooting and keep me posted! :D
bigcatdaddy

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Thx Valar
The first trigger pull after the adjustment was through the bull. It's minus 29 right now heading for -36 tonight....Wondering if my coyote partner will crap out on me this weekend?