First test fire today

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

First test fire today

Post by Valar »

Well I started barrel break in today on my Ar. She has a Rock River arms Lower and a Model one upper. Shilen 9 twist Stainless Bull Barrel, Les Bear Bolt carrier with shilen Bolt serial numbered and matched to the barrel. As of now she has a stock dps trigger. I ordered JP springs till I can save for a good trigger. I have a 6x12x40 Nikon mounted on a yankee hill riser with Weaver windage adjustabl rings. It was to windy today to work on load development so I shot 30 rounds of light load dogtown bullets thru for breakin and scope zero. She seems to shoot extremly consistent. I cant wait for a CALM DAY! I have worked up test loads in half grain powder increments, For 26 G Varmit Grenades. 32 Grain V maxs, 40 Grain Hornadys and34 grain dog town bullets. I loaded some rounds with IMR 4895. I was talking to local gun shop and he showed me some targets he shot in 20 cal. He likes 10x powder even in heavy 55 grain bergers. So I loaded some with ten x as well. I will let ya know what works best for me. I was amazed at the zero barrel jump and recoil like shooting a 22 short! I gonna kill lots of Coyotes with this Bad Boy!
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Re: First test fire today

Post by 204Shooter »

You might want to try this for your trigger:

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

I have done this several times with very good results. I use it in conjunction with the light JP trigger springs (the yellow ones) and I also back the trigger screw (the one you install under the grip) out 1 to 1 1/4 turns to make sure I have plenty of trigger engagement. It is cheap and drastically improves the trigger.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Valar

Post by Valar »

Thanks 204 my jp springs came today.
Charlie AR15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Charlie AR15 »

Humm, I'm confused. You have a RR lower with a DPMS trigger ? RR has a much better trigger than DPMS . Be that as it may be; about the powder. I liked 10X ; but it is VERY sensitive to temp. changes ! A very good powder for the 223 in ARs is 2520. Hope this helps.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Charlie, was your RRA trigger a single stage? Mine is and it was really bad. I hear that their 2 stage is excellent though.

I did the trigger job that 'shooter references on my single stage though, and things came out fine.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Charlie, sorry forj et lag this is a oldpost. I built my gun from scratch. I started with a stipper rock river lower. I am happy to say this gun shoots in the low 3s. I am amazed at the consistancy froma gas gun! I have since polished the dpms trigger after trying a old model Jewell. The Jewell jamed to much with no luck fromthere tech support.