204 Ruger Loads in the AR

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

204 Ruger Loads in the AR

Post by GaCop »

Everything I find relates to bolt guns, not a lot of data for the AR. I checked my OAL to the lands with the 30 gr Berger, Nosler 40 gr B.T. and 39 gr SBK. I can't even reach the lands with the Berger, 39gr SBK reads 2.070" and the Nosler was 2.060" Only load I've tried to date (other than factory Hornady 40gr) was the Nosler 40gr BT pushed by IMR 3031 (listed in data obtained from Walt Berger) 22.5 to 23.1 grains. The 22.5 grain load seated to 2.259 shot .713" at 100 meters the remainder of the loads shot like crap seated at 2.266". My C-Products mag will take up to 2.268" max but, considering the first tight group, my Model 1 upper appears to like the bullets seated deeper. Being a long standing bolt action benchrest loader, seating the bullets so deep makes em look like they're about to fall into the case! Anyone else loading for an M1S 1/12 twist? M1S is not high on my list but, this rifle was obtained in a trade with a friend and I was intrigued by the caliber as I've never tried it before. So far, I'm not impressed with the upper's accuracy.

I'm using Forster full length dies with the competition seater. Brass is RP fully (prepped and weighed) and to date I've tried Rem 7 1/2 primers with the first load using the IMR 3031 and the 40 gr Nosler. I've got a number of loads made up using the BR4 primer and IMR4895 / H4895 to test next. These are seated from 2.228" (Berger 30 gr) to 2.272" for the 39 gr SBK.

Tom
204 AR
.204 Ruger Guns: custom 204 AR15, DPMS

Re: 204 Ruger Loads in the AR

Post by 204 AR »

I've never tried any bergers, but I shoot a 1-12" shilen tube in my ar, and it loves H335 behind 32 gr noslers. 5 shot groups in the high .3" low .4" range, depending on me mostly. 32 gr vmax's shoot almost as well. 40 grainers may not shoot in a 1-12", mine shoots them fairly well.

I load everything to mag length, 2.260". I've been using wolf 223 primers with great success.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Ive got an M1 1:12 twist barrel. I shoot 27.8 of H4895 with the 39 SBK seated at 2.254 currently. I've shot groups as small as .392 but I've been getting some flyers occasionally so I've got the gun at a custom gun maker to give my AR a thorough going over. Sooner or later I will just change it to a 1:11 twist Krieger barrel.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
GaCop

Post by GaCop »

ryutzy wrote:Ive got an M1 1:12 twist barrel. I shoot 27.8 of H4895 with the 39 SBK seated at 2.254 currently. I've shot groups as small as .392 but I've been getting some flyers occasionally so I've got the gun at a custom gun maker to give my AR a thorough going over. Sooner or later I will just change it to a 1:11 twist Krieger barrel.
I too am getting an occassional flyer. I did discover that my front scope ring had loosened up so grouping, naturally, was hinkey. I've remeasured and discovered I can seat the 30 grain berger to 2.259" COAL. I'll find out today how well they shoot. I'm also testing th 39 gr SBK pushed by H4895 and retesting the 40 grain Nosler's also pushed by H4895. Near as I can determine, my rifle may not like the Fed 205M primer and is only slightly more agreeable to the Rem 7 1/2. The Berger's seated to .228" shot no better than +1" at 100 meters. One group of 4 rounds (IMR4895-26.1 grains 205M primer) measured .630" but a flyer opend up the five shot group to 1.023" (3539fps). 25.9 grains gave me a five shot group of 1.110" 3467fps). I've been single loading my test rounds so the bolt will lock back to cool the chamber faster

I polished my Forster expander button for a bit more bullet tension and it slides so smooth through the neck now. I've been worried that the bullets may be jammed into the case upon feeding OR being impact pulled when fully slammed into the chamber by the bolt. Though I can't prove either supposition. I did check a fired and sized case and got the following measurements: fired neck diameter .232", sized neck diameter .227". I checked with Lee and they don't have crimp die for the 204 so, if bullets moving in the neck become a problem, I'll have to get one custom made by Lee. Am I needlessly worrying about this?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I'm shooting a Rock River 24" bull. I loaded to what I considered a good magizine length (2.250") and ran tests beginning at that length and going shorter in .005" increments. My expereince was that the max length tested the best. My best load so far is (Lee Neck, Wilson seater and I've only tried 32 VMAx's so far):

Nosler brass
CCI small mag primer
32 gn VMax
26.8 gn Hogdon Benchmark
COAL appx. 2.250" (wilson seater stem at 1.8000")

At 300y, this will put 5 of 10 shots in 1", and the other 5 orbiting out to 3"

I'm not crazy about that :| ... but I'm hoping :duh: its a matter of recoil control, because I'm having a very hard time getting it consistent/minimal. I do all my testing on my belly, off a harris, with a bag in back. Which ain't good, I know, but its "real" if you know what I mean...

Alswo, I have to use the bolt assist quite a bit. I don't like that either :eew: ...
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

GaCop If you are concerned about your bullets moving in the case, run a few through your gun and then eject them without fireing. Let the bolt slam forward just as it would during fireing. Measure each round before and then after to see if their is any shift whatsoever in COAL.

bow shot-----do you need more oil in your action? better quality oil? you really shouldn't have to use the bolt assist. :(
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

ryutzy, I think you have it right, I've only had it apart once for cleaning, and went pretty light on the lube. I'm using Rem Oil.

If the weather holds, I should get some trigget time tonight, so I'll crack it open, pay more attention to lube and see what happens...

I'll let ya know.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

bow shot---I've been less than pleased with Rem oil in an AR, so I've been trying Mil-Tec oil. It's supposed to be really good and it's not supposed to attract dirt. Its more of a hassle to apply since I need to heat up the bolt prior to application for best results. I will report in the near future how the new product holds up after more use.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Funny you should mention that, I usually go kinda light on lube (I believe most people use way too much..) but I didn't think I was realy that skimpy. I cracked the AR open, and did see that I had what I would consider a decent light film on everything. I hit it again with a Canadian product called Jigaloo, and that has worked so far, through 20 shots. I was hanging up about every 4th-5th shot before.

I got this stuff at an auto parts store when they were getting rid of it and really like it. Its supposed to be a silicone base, but it feels much more permanent(?) than WD-40. I hit my .22 with it, and each time I go for it it just about squirts out of my hand. As I understand it the propellant in the Jigaloo is tolulene and I think that it (tol) is now illegal to sell... or something like that. We used to use it (tol) a lot where I work.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

GaCop, sorry to get off point...

I should have mentioned that I had one load seated down to 2.230" that grouped 5 shots into 1.5" @ 300y. Also, I'm using my seater setting as my reference value so to speak, rather than the COAL because the VMax's that I use vary quite a bit in length. My 2.5 and 2.23 readings are averages.

ryutzy, I think I'll check to see if slamming th bolt home is changing my COAL... never thought of that. Gotta load up another 50!!
GaCop

Post by GaCop »

I measure all my bullets from base to ogive when loading for my bolt action bench rifles. The differences in lengths is astounding! I do the same for the AR. I did finally narrow down my accuracy problems to the Vortex 8X32X50AO scope. It finally crapped out and wouldn't hold a zero along with the AO acting hinkey and constantly having to be adjusted to bring the view in clear. The scope is one it's way back to Vortex for repair or replacement. I've delt with their customer service in the past and have to say they are great. My last 6X24 Crossfire went belly up after they repaired it. Vortex made me an offer on a Viper upgrade I couldn't refuse. The Viper is the bomb! If I get offered the same deal to replace this Crossfire, I'll jump on it in a New York minute.

On the subject of lube. I've been using Break Free's lube for full auto's and have to say it performs admirably. It tends to stay where you put it unlike the old Break Free. I do tend to shoot my ARs wet and it makes a big difference in reliability. I've never tried it but I've heard from a number of AR tactical instructor's that "Mobile 1" works extremely well in the AR and a quart goes a looooooong way.

Tom
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

We use prolong and keen bore. It gets mixed one part to foor parts. It also is better if the bolt gets warmed up for the racing oil to sink in. I also used some zmax for the linkite. Just don't use it on barrels. Unless you aren't ever going to machine the barrel. Because when they went to cut crankshafts for engines it just tore chunks out and ruined them. But for bolts you don't have to use much cuz it sinks in real purty
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Nosler brass
28.0 Varget
39GR SBK
seated so they will work in the mag
CCIBR4 primer

AR is a custom built gun by John Noveske with a 23" 1-10" pac nor barrel. Shoots less than half inch, measured some in the .2's and .3's. Best PD whacking gun in my Arsenal..
Doveryai no Proveryai
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Another recipie for my RRA (24" bull, 12:1):

32 gn Sierra Blitz King
Nosler brass (fired 4x)
Trim 1.845 +/- .002"
COAL (appx) 2.250"
26.5 gn Benchmark
CCI small magnum primer
flash holes preppec (didn't need it)
weight sorted +/- < 1 gn (didn't need it)
VLD chamfered (didn't need it)
Primer pockets uniformed (didn't need it)
(can you tell I love Nosler brass? )

Regular 5 shot group: 2" @ 300y, (excluding one shot: 1.3" @ 300y)
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Nosler brass is the best. I have been slowly changing everything to Nosler, Lapua and some Norma. Of course still use Remington and Winchester but prefer Nosler over all others.
Doveryai no Proveryai