DPMS AR-10 Upper Question

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
JDB
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP 204 w/ Konus Pro M30 8.5X32x52

DPMS AR-10 Upper Question

Post by JDB »

I have an Oportunity to pick up an Unfired DPMS AR-10 Upper in 7.62x51 with a 1 in 10 twist 18" barrel. I have no experience with AR and was curious if anyone knows the accuracy of these barrels or any known problems.

Thanks
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Re: DPMS AR-10 Upper Question

Post by NESHOOTER »

I have a through my daughter-inlaw uncle works for hornady and they put a DPMS through an extreme torturer test on accuracy and how the hornady bullets would shoot on a auto fire load. Well the barrel was so hot they had to use the heat gloves they use on steel mills workers just to hold it and they said did have a dull glow of the unit getting so hot after so many rounds in auto mode it functioned flawlessly, and when they let the unit cool down to normal. They fired for accuracy and it was the same after the test as it was before the test, with very little difference. The one they were testing was the AP version of the DPMS line. This is all the info I have heard on the DPMS hope this helps.
NE
Semper Fi
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

Last year i bought a brand new DPMS SASS, it out shoots my Rem. 700 Police rifle. So far my best 3shot group at 100yds. is .197". I did not even break the barrel in like DPMS says to. The ammo i shoot in it is 168gr. Fed. Match. Never had any malfunctions with it so far either. Only wish it has a longer barrel, the 18" with a flash hider really blasts! Amsome gun though! good luck
remy_vtr
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500

Post by remy_vtr »

I have an DPMS LR 308, 24 inch stainless bull barrel.
I wish I had ordered the shorter barrel.
So far my 308's best group at a 100 yards is .211, 5 shots with Hornady TAP 168 gr. and the Blackhills 168 grain match hollowpoint.
I also shot a 2 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 635 years with this combo.
Any chance of a trade for uppers? 'bang bang'
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

Sorry not willing to break up the gun, sounds like yours is a real tack driver also though. If i was you i would just pull the barrel off and have it cut, and recrowned. I had a 24" .223 AR that i did that to and it shot better after i shortened the bbl. I whent to 20" on that rifle.