Shilen 1-9 twist barrel

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Shilen 1-9 twist barrel

Post by Grayfox »

Brownell and Midway have these barrels in stock.They have high reviews with no problems as far as accuracy.Has anyone used a 1-9 twist with 39-40gr bullets? These are the weight bullets I use for PD's? I have a DPMS 204 Ruger 1-12 twist that will only shoot 39gr Sierra BK's with any accuracy.This limits me to a one bullet barrel.

Is there a good reason not to go with this fast twist?

Thank you,
Grayfox
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Shilen 1-9 twist barrel

Post by ryutzy »

It would probably work just fine, but you will have more friction in the barrel resulting in some FPS loss. I'm from the school of thought to send the bullet as fast as I accurately can. A 1:9 should stabilize the 50 grainers very well. I believe a 1:11 twist is the perfect twist for the 204 in all bullet weights up to 40+ grains and maybe even the 45 grainer. Nothing necessarily wrong with a 1:9 for a 39 grain bullet, but it wouldn't be my choice.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Post by MT204 »

Put one on my AR a few years ago and have had great luck with the 1/9 twist.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

With the velocities of the 204 I would wonder about spinning the jackets off anything under the 35grs with the 9 twist. Might not happen but I can see the potential for it.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

Thanks all for the feed back. If it worked for MT204 then it should work for me. I only want to shoot the 39gr thru 50gr bullets at PD's. Heavy bullets buck the wind better and has alot more ker-plop when you hit them.

Ordered out the barrel from Brownells today.
Thanks,Grayfox
MT204
.204 Ruger Guns: custom ar15

Post by MT204 »

I ordered my barrel direct from Shilen back during the "black gun" scare and waited 4 months. My how times have changed.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have been shooting a 1 in 9 twist shilen on a rockriver lower ar, for over a year now. BYE IT! This gun is amazing. groups 26 grain v grenades right with 50 grain and even 55 grain bergers... 32 grain vmax is good but not as great. In the 40 grain range the accuracy is asstounding out of automatic. This thing shoots groups like a good bench bolt action. I will swear bye the 1:9 twist shilen!! Period! 400.00 barrel that is worth double in my book! My hunting partner bought one as well , and is totally impressed! Shoot a dime at 100 yards consistently!
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

It's great to here that you both like the Shilen in 1-9 twist.
I was very happy to receive my barrel from Brownells two days ago.When I took it out of the package and looked it over, I noticed something black inside the barrel by the gas port. What ever it was was hard as a rock and I could not remove it. When I took a .093 drill bit check the hole I found it would not go out the bottom of the hole.The gas port hole was not drilled and finnish reamed. The hole was melted out and the slag was stuck in the grove of the barrel.When I ran a wet patch down the barrel it really draged across the black area.

My first thought was how did this get out of the factory.If anyone inspected this you would have seen the black slag in the barrel.

I called Shilen and they said to send it back to Brownells for replacement.Brownells said they would send a new one and reimburse me for the bad barrel.Now I will wait to see if the new one has the same problem.

Hopefully I can get the rifle built before it freezes!!!

Grayfox
Grayfox

Shilen 1-9 twist barrel update 10-26-11

Post by Grayfox »

MT204 and Valar.

Received the replacement barrel yesterday by UPS. The gas port hole in this barrel was fine. I polished the feed ramps and took off all sharp edges that would scratch the brass. After assembling the upper, I cleaned it and let it sit over night to let the blue loctite on the gas block set.

Today I loaded 15 rounds of ammo to breack in the barrel.My load was a Nosler BT,CCI 400 primer,Hornady brass, 26.5gr of IMR8208 powder.Estimated velocity of around 3600fps.

The first 5 rounds I cleaned the barrel each shot.Then I shot a 3 round group at 50 yards.This first 50 yard group measured .182".Cleaned the barrel and moved back to 100 yards.

Then I shot a 3 round group at 100 yards that measured .228". After cleaning the barrel I shot the last 5 rounds at 100 yards. This group was .486" for five shots. Four of the shots grouped into .278". On all groups fired the first round was high and right of each group after cleaning.

Nosler BT would never group better than 1 1/4" groups out of my Savage or AR15 rifles with 1:12 twist. I am vey impressed with the accuracy of this Shilen 1:9 twist. I will have to save up for a new barrel for my Savage VLP. Now I can finaly shoot the Nosler 40gr bullets. I still have to test the Hornady 40gr and 39gr Sierra bullets for accuracy.

Thanks,Grayfox
Valar

Post by Valar »

Grayfox,
I knew you would be impressed. I have to wonder about 1:12 twist barrel recomendations? Mine and buddys as well shoot so impressive. The 32 grain Hornady vmax is its downfall. Oh well, it shoots 40 grainers with such presision. I prefer 10 x powder, which has a very close burn rate to what you are using. I had to go to IMR 4895 for the 50 grain heads, as pressure comes up fast with 10x on heavyer heads.
Mine will shoot 26 grain varmit grenades in the 3s and 40 and 50 grainers in the .200s. This barrel is so versatile. My 204 will outshoot both my 22-250 rem 700 and my .308 Rem varmit all day long. I may rebarrel them with Stainless Shilens in the future. Take Care
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

Valor,
I used Reloader 10X in the 204 Ruger for all my Prairre Dog loads for 4 years. My average is 600 rounds a year. One bad thing I noticed with Rel 10X is that a carbon buildup inthe throat area of the barrel. I had to get JB Bore pollish compound to remove it. Also the bolt and carrier would build up with a hard carbon deposit.

When Hodgdon came out with IMR 8208 XBR I bought some to try in my 6.5 Grendel. I shoot NRA Hi Power matches and this powder was perfect for the Grendel. Last year I loaded 650 rounds of 204 Ruger with IMR 8208 for Prairre Dog shooting. I shot about 300 rounds in the Savage VLP and 300 rounds my AR15. What I found was that I did not have a carbon build up in the throat and the bolt and carrier were alot cleaner. This is the cleanest powder I tried in an AR15.

Here is some Chonographed data with the Shilen 1:9 twist barrel shot yesterday:
WW brass fired 5 times, Nosler 40gr BT, Rem 7 1/2 primer, COL 2.255"

26.5gr = 3584fps / 26.7gr = 3603fps / 26.9gr = 3642fps /27.1gr = 3724fps / 27.3 =3673fps

Loaded 5 rounds at 27.0gr for a target of 3700fps max load.
3734fps / 3714fps / 3652 fps / 3703fps / 3714fps
average = 3703fps es = 82 sd = 30

Same components but with a 39gr Sierra BK
26.5g =3633fps / 26.8gr = 3673fps / 27.1gr = 3724fps / 27.3gr = 3781fps
Loaded to compare velocity difference between the two bullets.

Greyfox
Valar

Post by Valar »

I may try some 8208. This is good information thank you. As of now the most consecutive shooting with mine is load workup. I primarilly hunt coyote,but hope to go doggin when i retire in 7 years. I am very happy with consistency of 10 x in 204. When I told my uncle i was using it he thought they pulled it off the shelves ,due to high pressure issues? I will due my coyote hunting with 10 x for now , and give 8208 a shot in the spring when she warms up. Keep the reports on the shilen 1:9 coming, good to here! What gas block due you use? I am considering switching to a clamp on style as opposed to the slip on set screw style I currently have? I have been reading that the set screw style can make accuracy fall off with time? Hard to beleive with a stainless bull barrel? I dont want to chance ruining accuracy if i can help it. This Ar was my first personal build, and the most accurate gun I own! I also may try Noslers ,as I shoot them in 22-250 I have excellent results with hornady and Berger. My buddy prefers sbk, But i am not impressed in the 1:9. They seam to perform very good but not as cutting edge consistent as Vmax 40 g and Berger 40 and 50 G.
Happy shooting , thanks again.
PLATAPUS
.204 Ruger Guns: DMPS w/ 1-9" Shilen

Post by PLATAPUS »

I know that this a old post but i'm glad I found it. I should be receiving this barrel I purchased later in the week. I have some 50 grn Bergers to try out. I'm pretty excited. I have some Varget and Benchmark to try out. I would love to hear the updates you guys have on this barrel set up and some loads that are wprking for you. Thanks
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

I plan on working up some loads in the spring.It's getting a tad cold in Wisconsin. Right now my fingers get to cold to shoot accurately.
It's just right for ice fishing and I need to get out on the ice.

I plan on trying the Sierra 39grBK, Nosler 40 gr BT, and Hornady 40 gr V-max bullets.
IMR8208XBR will be the only powder tested. I want one powder for match and prairre dog shooting.
I want to see how they all group at 300 yards. Hopefully they will all shoot good.

Grayfox
Valar

Post by Valar »

Fox about three or 4 weeks ago my buddy and I went out and set up at 300 yrds with 40 grain vmax and bergers. Partner had one three shot group inside a half dollor! This wasnt off a bench but harris bipod sitting in a field! You will be shocked! Plat I have posted a few of my pet loads but I doubt they will be what shines in your barrel. My shilen prefers a bit different load than my buddys! Do the load workups and you wont be disapointed