Shilen 1-9 twist barrel

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Re: Shilen 1-9 twist barrel

Post by Grayfox »

Valar. Have you tried the Nosler 40 gr. bullet? The last time out shooting I shot two 5 shot groups. Both groups were 3" groups at 300 yards. I loaded these loads near maximum. My original 100 yard testing was with a mid charge load. This was the first try past 100 yards. I shot my other rifle for about a half hour and was shooting really well at 600 yards. I was shooting without gloves in below freezing weather. My trigger finger was pretty cold when shooting my 204 Ruger. What I am trying to figure out if it was me or the ammo.

Whats your thoughts on Nosler bullets?

Grayfox
PLATAPUS
.204 Ruger Guns: DMPS w/ 1-9" Shilen

Post by PLATAPUS »

Thanks for the replies Greyfox and Valar. I should have the barrel this weekend. I hope I have enough time to swap it out and go shoot before having to head off out of state for another hitch. I have been researching some loads and think I have a starting point. I try and stick to the Hodgdon powders due to the temp spreads we have here.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Fox sorry for so long in postingI have been working on allot of projects as of late. I have also been coyote hunting. As for Nosler they make a excellent bullet. I shoot them in 22-250 and 308 as well. The 308 shoots awsome! 22-250 is a light barrel 700 bdl and I am not impressed with most light barrels. I have to say in 204 Nosler is a bullet I havent tried. I am hearing good reports. They have always made good bullets, in my opinion. I have to say price wise they are getting a bit off the charts? I wonder why this is? I can bye 40 Grain Hornadys about half what nosler wants. I caught a excellent sale on 40 grain bergers, and have seen excellent results! I have been finising up my 35 whelen Mauser project. Low and behold found a great deal on a couple AR Lowers. I pick up next week. I also have had a 6.5 Arisaka laying around I am going to rechamber in 257 roberts.
To Many projects and the lathe she is a callin. So is the trail, planning to hit the AT for a short time soon as well. Let me know how your load testing goes. Out to 300 from what I have seen the 204 shilen ar is amazing! I can honeslty say I ont have much experience beyond. I have a local range I hope to get membership in this spring. They have range out to 600 yrds! I would love to see what the 50 G bergers do! Hopefully I will find out!
Grendel
.204 Ruger Guns: AR with Shilen 24" barrel

Post by Grendel »

Old post ....new guy. I have 3 AR Shilen barrles. 223 Wylde, 17 Rem and the 204 Ruger (1-9 twist).....all came with the head spaced bolts and all are tack drivers.
The first animal I shot with the 17 Rem was a crow at 250+ yds. It exploded into a poof of black feathers. It's feet were the only thing left and they were still attached and hanging from the tree branch it was sitting on. Have not take anything with the 204.....yet.
204 AR W/24" Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, Todd Jerrett extended handguard, Leupold VX-2 6X18X40 Adj. Obj. Target Knobs
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I'm still breaking in the barrel of the Shilen 1/9 twist I had built recently. Last week I had 1/2" groups & 3725fps using RL10X......
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
onebreath280
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger AR-15

Post by onebreath280 »

I just joined the 204 ruger club! I picked up a shilen 204 barrel for my AR, I am really impresed with the quality of the machine work it is very nice I should have the gun together by the end of next week and I will post pictures. I am very excited to get this rifle together and see how it shoots! I will primarly be using it for fox hunting here in Kodiak, AK. Here are the specs on the build:

Colt M4 upper and lower
Shilen 20" 204 ruger 1-9"
Seekins MCSR 15" rail
Leupold MK4 4x14x50 iluminated scope with TMR reticle (overkill?)
Magpul MS3 sling
estimated weight 10.5 lbs
PLATAPUS
.204 Ruger Guns: DMPS w/ 1-9" Shilen

Post by PLATAPUS »

Valar wrote:Fox about three or 4 weeks ago my buddy and I went out and set up at 300 yrds with 40 grain vmax and bergers. Partner had one three shot group inside a half dollor! This wasnt off a bench but harris bipod sitting in a field! You will be shocked! Plat I have posted a few of my pet loads but I doubt they will be what shines in your barrel. My shilen prefers a bit different load than my buddys! Do the load workups and you wont be disapointed

That's great. I haven't been able to hardly shoot lately. Family and I have relocated to ND and we have only been in the new house since March. I have been working on the yard and the basement which is where my new reloading room will be. I'm hoping to have a bench up and running soon. I still have the 50grn Berger's loaded up waiting to test and will post results then. Thanks for the update and hopefully fox chimes in w/ an update.
onebreath280

Post by onebreath280 »

Finally got it all put together let me know what you think. Now I just need to find some brass so I can shoot it. Image
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Looks very nice... No brass in your area ? Down the road I will mostly likely obtain a barrel in 204R in one of mine. I have the piston, right now on my 5.56 . Bill K
onebreath280

Post by onebreath280 »

No brass, no powder, no primers WTF! This living on an island business is getting on my last nerve. I went out to do some load testing today but the wind as blowing 40 kts... :wall: The good news is I only had to fly halfway across Alaska to get 4000 primers! :mad:
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a good supply of brass Bergers and powder, and fox I finally scored some xbr powder a couple weeks ago. Anxious to give it a try.