Ar Question

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Ar Question

Post by Clint E »

I have been reading up on all the ar stuff . What i want to now is some say use different types of grease or oils for the bolt carrier assembly. Deffinitely when they are new due to break in and the metal absorbing it.

My question i guess is wouldnt it be easier to buy a old crock pot or something of the sort disassemble the bolt assembly And with low heat let the oil cook into it for a few hours.
I am just thinking a little out of the box on this. What your imput on this
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Ar Question

Post by ryutzy »

That's a great idea and il bet it would work, but it would take more than a few hrs. Maybe 48 hrs or so on low heat.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Heating the oil would be a no-no. You can't control the temp and this is a hard steel. Grease is also worthless it attracts dirt or sand.

I have a few AR's and bolt guns. In both I use Ed's Red. Formulated by Ed Harris and a chemist. I soak my bolt in it overnight then wipe it dry on the outside in the morning, all carbon is gone. You should not have lube dripping from the carrier when you insert it into the upper with the charge handle. That lets oil run thru the gas tube and out the block on the barrel when heated and used with pressure. I clean the lowers once a year.

Ed's red (without the acetone) I use Kroil in the mix also. Homemade is better with Kroil and no acetone. Better than any Military oil in use today Including CLP,. 1 Gallon about lasts the year.

1 part trans fluid
1 part Mineral spirits
1 part kerosene
small 8 oz. can of Kroil.
Forget the lanolin also.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

If you want a commercial oil use this. Claims on the web vary but I use this on the "rings" there are over 350+ listings for oil/cleaners on Midway alone!
Everyone has a reason why they use a certain oil and bla.bla.bla. I easily get 5-7 thousand rounds on my barrels and about 2-3 thousand on my rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/442314 ... -oz-liquid

My routine:
I run mine wet, the rings get 3-5 drops of oil before I mate the upper( side holes in the carrier) and lower in the field. The rings are like those on a piston of a car,

keep them wet, you can shoot 300-500 in a day and never have issues with a clean burning powder. But clean or soak it overnight, then work the bolt into the carrier 5-10 times and work out the carbon. In certain instances (AA2230) powders burn dirty take the bolt apart, field strip it, soak it, and you are GTG. I have a sealed metal can. It is flamable so watch where you store it.

Retired Timber faller
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

ClaimJumper i dont think a a crock pot would put off enough heat to affect the steel. I wouldnt think the temp could get that hot on a low setting. It would take a lot of heat to affect a hardened steel.

I agree with you on the grease it would atract a lot of dirt. I wouldnt want the bolt and carrier assembly dripping with oil either . Metal will always have some amount of porosity to it and oil will soke in as easy as seep out.

I am just entering the black rifle side of things always been a bolt rifle guy but decided to give one a try. Looking to make all the right choices.
Thanks for the input. What kind of powders are you burning in your ARs.
ClaimJumper

Post by ClaimJumper »

Just don't turn your back on it. Never heard of a Crock Pot Carrier break in? Just shoot it hot and dunk it in CLP or Red's Red.

My favorite Powder for the 204 Ruger is Reloader 10X. (I know here it's a no-no) but I shoot my 34's slow and the 39's pretty stiff. Same poi @ 100.

Never touch the scope for MOA adjustments ever. (That's for the big guys) Most of my shots are 25-200 yards max. Spend less time cleaning and more time shooting.

Powders I shot to determine these two loads,
R-7
R-10X
R-15
N-140
W-748
Varget
Tac
Exterminator
IMR-8208
IMR-4895
H-4895 * second best powder Clean also.
BLC-2 * cold/mild weather powder for 32's

I stayed with R-10 as Bi-mart here had discontinued R-10X and marked it down to $19.00, then had 2.00 off that. 17$$$$!
I bought 6 local stores out.

Retired Timber faller
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Well i use h-4895 and varget in most of my rifles so it doesnt look like i will have to have another powder to put on the shelf.

Looking at barrels right now looks like i will have to build the upper to my specs for a 204 . I want to stay around a 20inch barrel and mid weight for calln. With hopes of it likeing 39 sbks.
ClaimJumper

Post by ClaimJumper »

I built my upper from DPMS parts. Barrel from Midway 199.99$ 1-12 shoots the 40's fine and the 26 barnes fine also.

Best groups at 200 all shots touch but one. Nobody makes a better upper for the money. You can only get a 24" 204 barrel though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652854 ... less-steel

Retired Timber faller
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I'm not a fan of CLP. I've been using it some,and the more I use it the less I like it. Seems like the combination cleaner lubricants just dont do as well. It doesn't seem to hold up as long for me as quality gun oils.

Also I'm used to using a crock pot for foods, and on low heat will in no way be a danger for gun oils or steel in any form. I dont know if low heat is hot enough to open the pores on the steel or not.

Last edit was for spelling.....
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable