Trigger Help

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
burkes15
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Trigger Help

Post by burkes15 »

Ok guys im new to the forum, ar-15s and also to the .204 but thats all gonna change here soon. My father, brother and I are going to South Dakota next May on a 3 day dog hunt. I and gonna purchase my own rifle to take and after much research and testimonials I have decided on a .204 in the ar platform. I am 99% sure im going to buy the ar 15 Ultra Match Super Target from accuracy systems. My biggest ? is should i go with the 3.5lb 2 stage trigger (stock) or the single stage 2.5# match trigger. The upgrade is aroung 130.00$ more. Is it worth it?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: Trigger Help

Post by bow shot »

I have a 2 stage Timney that would be measured on ounces on one rifle and love it. I also had a Savage with an accu-trigger (single stage) which was fantastic also, that one was also set to fire if you breathed on it.

That said, my AR has a heavy-ish single stage, and I hated it at first, but actually grew to like it. Now I actually prefer a little heft in the trigger, I find it aids me in holding steady. I'm not sure what the weight is, because I worked on it a little.

So my point is, if you shoot a lot, I bet you'll adapt to either, they both sound like great triggers. To me, the main thing is having zero creep before the firing portion of the trigger pull (ie., right off the bat on the single, and immediately at the start of the 2nd stage on the 2-stage).
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

This really is a personal preference, but as Bow Shot said you will probably adapt to either.
If you want a really nice 2-stage, you can buy Rock Rivers for about $70.
Personally I like single stage triggers.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

For the last 5 years I have shot Pd's with the Savage accu-trigger and an AR15 with the Rock River Arms national match trigger. I upgraded my AR15 to a Geissele Match Rifle trigger this year.

The two stage trigger is my favorite because I learned to use it shooting old Military Rifles. The single stage Savage is an excellant trigger and I like it too.

I did shoot the Savage better because the RRA trigger is over 4 1/2 lbs. I do not like a too lite trigger. My Geissele is set to 3 lbs +. I do not have a good feel for too lite single stage trigger as I set it off to early.

Get the one you think you can shoot the best with. There both great choices.

Grayfox