New Member/Building an AR in .204

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
J.J.
.204 Ruger Guns: None

New Member/Building an AR in .204

Post by J.J. »

Good morning everyone been reading some interesting topics here on the .204. I just started my first build and I'm pretty excited about it. I received my Palmetto State Armory lower yesterday and the parts for it should be here this week.

Have a few questions on this setup:

-Havent been able to find a .204 24" bull barrel in black, anybody have a hookup on that or should I just send it off and get it done myself? My stock and handguard will be camo and I want the gun to be black
-Are there any issues I need to be on the lookout for using a .223 platform for the .204?
-I know when putting an AR together, there are some connections that need to be torqued properly, can anyone give me a rundown on these?

And of course, I'll take any advice on do's and dont's that I can get.

I am hoping to have my gun built by Christmas, that is the goal. A lot of parts are on backorder. Looking forward to this .204 caliber and the posts on this board.

Thanks, J.J.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: New Member/Building an AR in .204

Post by bow shot »

Wealth of info here: http://www.ar15.com

...probably more than you want, LOL!! Just drill around and you;ll find torque specs, etc. great, great site.

.204 brought no unusual issues for me. Just be sure to get the right barrel and bolt and you are GTG.

One piece of advice: If you want a tack driver, get a good (JP, Kreiger, Shilen, etc.) barrel. You may get lucky with a cheaper one, but you will very likely save yourself a ton of handloading experimentation time with a top of the line barrel.
Mattman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by Mattman »

bow shot wrote:
One piece of advice: If you want a tack driver, get a good (JP, Kreiger, Shilen, etc.) barrel. You may get lucky with a cheaper one, but you will very likely save yourself a ton of handloading experimentation time with a top of the line barrel.

X2

My AR (.223) is a real tack driver. I had a Shilen stainless ultramatch bull barrel and a quality match grade tigger with a tune up installed on my AR and it is an amazing rifle.

Matt Davis

Better to have and not need than to need and not have
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Just curious why you want a black barrel? Is it a coyote gun? If so, you could just paint the whole thing youself.
K = ½mv2
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Bodei wrote:Just curious why you want a black barrel? Is it a coyote gun? If so, you could just paint the whole thing youself.
It will be an everything gun, hunting and target shooting. I am camoing the stock and handguard and I want the barrel and receiver to be matte. What do you suggest painting SS with? I'm a DIY type and I would love to do it myself.
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Have a question on the charging handle. I am planning on purchasing a DPMS upper parts kit that includes a charging handle. Will this one be fine or is it better to get a little better aftermarket charging handle? I have noticed the prices vary greatly.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I have a regular and it doesn't change my life for the worse, lol...

It was more important to me to have a B.A.D. (ambidexterous bolt release, they are made by Magpul and Troy I think) rather than the extended charger. Very, very convenient if you single feed and spend a lot of time on your belly...
Mattman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by Mattman »

J.J. wrote:Have a question on the charging handle. I am planning on purchasing a DPMS upper parts kit that includes a charging handle. Will this one be fine or is it better to get a little better aftermarket charging handle?

My opinion...if you're doing 3-gun competitions, or tactical work, etc, an improved charging handle is important. Any speed in clearing a misfire, etc will pay off for you in scores or your life. For the average guy that just bench shoots and/or hunts, they are of little value. There are better places to put my money.

Matt Davis

Better to have and not need than to need and not have
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I think for painting AR15.com is your best resouce. I have no experience painting SS.
K = ½mv2
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Mattman wrote:
J.J. wrote:Have a question on the charging handle. I am planning on purchasing a DPMS upper parts kit that includes a charging handle. Will this one be fine or is it better to get a little better aftermarket charging handle?

My opinion...if you're doing 3-gun competitions, or tactical work, etc, an improved charging handle is important. Any speed in clearing a misfire, etc will pay off for you in scores or your life. For the average guy that just bench shoots and/or hunts, they are of little value. There are better places to put my money.
Makes sense, yep just bench shooting and hunting. I am going to spend a little extra and drop in a Timney trigger I believe.
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Bodei wrote:I think for painting AR15.com is your best resouce. I have no experience painting SS.
Yes, I am going to do a little searching on there. Thanks.
PennyB
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington R-15

Post by PennyB »

If your planning to put Glass on this rifle I would suggest that you up grade the charging handle just for ease of use I run a BCM gunfighter model 3 on mine and it is one of the best upgrades i have done to mine
Seth
.204 Ruger Guns: AR Platform JD Machine/DPMS

Post by Seth »

PennyB wrote:If your planning to put Glass on this rifle I would suggest that you up grade the charging handle just for ease of use I run a BCM gunfighter model 3 on mine and it is one of the best upgrades i have done to mine
+1 on that, i have the mod 3 on 2 of my scoped ARs and they are great!! and i think the mod 4 is great for no scoped ( i hate this over used word but...) Tactical type rifles 8)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Go with MHR (Modern hunting rifle) we all need to get away from assault rifle or anything that resembles it. Bill K
J.J.

Post by J.J. »

Bill K wrote:Go with MHR (Modern hunting rifle) we all need to get away from assault rifle or anything that resembles it. Bill K

I agree, I took my 10yr old daughter to the range sat to shoot the Savage .17 and 3 or 4 groups around us were all shooting AR Carbines, no glass