AR 15 and clean burn

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: AR 15 and clean burn

Post by Bill K »

Bill K wrote:Have a Franklin Armory lower coming.. Am checking Model 1 and others for the upper, etc. Also two of my local dealers. Will look around Reno this coming weekend and see if any over there, have good deals on uppers. No hurry to put this together, but will do so in the next few months, if not weeks.. :eek: :D Bill K
Well my one dealer made me a good deal on a upper DPMS in 223/5.56 nato. 20 full contour barrel 1-9. So far it is shooting one inch and less with W748 in the 27 grain area.. Not messy and seems to be pretty darn clean burning. May just stick with it. 50-55 grain bullets thus far.. Think this will be a fun shooter.. Lots of playing to do. Thank you for your help and comments, all. Bill K :D :D
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I also second 8208XBR as a fine AR powder.
Bill the guy I talked to got his CFE223 at Sportsman's in Reno. You have to make the salesman walk in back to look, or they will just say they dont have any.
I got some 50 grain Zmax that are shooting nice from my AR, but 40 grainers really cook!
K = ½mv2
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bodei wrote:I also second 8208XBR as a fine AR powder.
Bill the guy I talked to got his CFE223 at Sportsman's in Reno. You have to make the salesman walk in back to look, or they will just say they dont have any.
I got some 50 grain Zmax that are shooting nice from my AR, but 40 grainers really cook!
I asked that the guy at Sportsman did go to the back (they have to as the containers on the shelves are empty to stop shoplifting). What they had come in was all sold out, when I got there. Have to wait for a new order. I will be back in Reno the weekend of June 2, they should have a new order in by then, I hope..... :lol: Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Which reminds me.. What do you fellows use to catch or deflect your flying brass i.e. out walking, saying bunnie busting, so you do not have to look all over the sage, grass to locate your fired brass ? Those brass catchers like Caldwell sells or what ? Thank you. Bill K
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Definately appreciate a brass catcher! I use one of those cheap strap on deals, that kinda looks like a minnow net. I had to bend/weak it to get it to meet the ejection port nice and tight, but that kind of thing doesn't bug me, especially for $10.00...

Hot brass sometimes sticks to the netting, but I don't care...

Yeah, I'm a low dollar guy, LOL!!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Hi Bill

My RRA AR15 1:8 load is giving me 1" 5-shot groups @ 300y (so far, LOL!):

55gn VMAX
PMC 2x fired brass
CCI sm rifle mag primer
24.6gn Benchmark
OAL @ 2.250"

Actually, 24.2, 24.4, 24.6 all grouped just as well. HTH
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Well I went with the DPMS 20 inch full contour in .223, from my one dealer. So far have only settled on 27 grain of W748 with either the 50 or 55 grain bullets (Mostly Nosler) and it is shooting MOA. So I will play some with a few other loads, but if it keeps doing as it is with the above load, I may just lock on it, as it shoots just fine. Picket pins and jack rabbits have been suffering loses the last couple of weeks. Just fun. Bill K
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Very good! Enjoy it!
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

Bill, I too was wanting to buy in the 204R configuration but then I waked into the gun dealer one day and liked the way the 223 he had on hand felt and looked (DPMS). He told me he would give me an even better deal if I bought it that day. Pondered it for a few hours and went back and bought it. Been putting together parts recently and now I am just shy the BCG and lower parts kit to have my 2nd one complete, this time in 204R. Haven't messed with loads yet but it is doing just fine with the loads I had for my other 204. Both are the 24" Bull and I'd like to build one more, this time in a 20" with a 6.5 Sporter chamber.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

WY-NEvarmints... In time, now that I am playing with the 223 in the AR, I will also be building/putting together another in 204R. Not sure if I will go with the 24 in or the 20in barrel, yet.. In time will make the choice.. Lots of fun and goodies out there. Bill K
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Bill -

glue a bit of velcro on your case deflector. It'll keep the cases from being dented.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Hedge wrote:Bill -

glue a bit of velcro on your case deflector. It'll keep the cases from being dented.
Have not purchased a case deflector yet, not sure which one to get. I have the flat top, so maybe the style with the bar/slots to fit the picanny top ? Do not have a carry handle for the other style.. Checking them out, for attachment to rifle and will go from there. Thanks for the tip on dents in cases.. Bill K :)
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Bill,

The deflector should already be built into the upper. Like this:
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Del-TonAR15/DSC04643.jpg
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Hedge, yes I have that configuration on the upper, by the assist button, but the brass still kicks slightly to my right and out about four feet. would like something to cause the brass to drop nearer my side.. Easier to locate out in the brush/sage while rabbit busting, etc. Know what I mean ? But I will do the velcro thing, but so far I have not noticed any denting on my fired cases. Bill K
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Yup, know what you mean, Bill. Mine gets kicked right and forward. My wife's drops 'em right and back, all in the same spot! Makes them easy to locate. :)

Glad to hear you don't get dents. You must be living right. ;)

I've tried brass catchers, but they seem to be more of a bother than they're worth. After a few rounds, I get stove pipes.

I saw the deflector you were talking about attaching to your rail. Being a left hander, that would get in my way for carry. Guess I'll have to come up with something clever or just keep on sacrificing to the brass gods. :shrug:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======