AR 15 and clean burn

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

AR 15 and clean burn

Post by Bill K »

What are a couple of the cleanest burning powders for the 223 in the AR? Thank you for info. BIll K :)
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: AR 15 and clean burn

Post by bow shot »

Bill, I thought you weren't too keen on the AR15?

Benchmark is burning very clean for me in .204 and .223. I get the "usual" junk (film-like smoke residue) on the brass and BCG, but no "crud" (heavy goo or particles).
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I always thought I was not. But, of late, I am leaning towards building one (going down later today and by a lower) with a 24 inch 204 Ruger barrel, etc, etc. Heavens, just what I need, another tool in the den.. So I am gathering information. Bill K
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Ok, well enjoy it! I got lucky with mine, (RRA .204 with 24" bull) but if I had to do it all over again: I'd build an upper with a known good barrel (shilen, Hart, Kreiger etc.).
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Have a Franklin Armory lower coming.. Am checking Model 1 and others for the upper, etc. Also two of my local dealers. Will look around Reno this coming weekend and see if any over there, have good deals on uppers. No hurry to put this together, but will do so in the next few months, if not weeks.. :eek: :D Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I hear that CFE223 is supposed to be really good. Talked to an old timer last week out shootin rats north of Susanville that bought an 8 pounder and was loading up 204 and 20 VT with it. He said he has no more blue patches. I will probably replace my H335 loads with it when I use up my 8 lb jar.
If you want a good 223 upper I reccomend the Stag Arms.
K = ½mv2
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Been trying to get some since it came out. My two gun stores and, so far, the one's in Reno, do not have it. I want to give it a try in some of my firearms..also. In time, I guess, I will locate a lb to try and go from there. Bill K ps, I know I could order in a lb, but I do not want to pay the Hazmat fee on top of the order cost.
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

Imr 8208 XBR is the cleanest AR15 powder I found for the 204 Ruger and my 6.5 Grendel. I gave up on Rel 10X in the 204 Ruger . 10X gave me a very hard carbon build up in the area by the throat. The bolt and carrier had a heavy carbon build up too.

Last year I shot over 300 rounds at Prairee Dogs with IMR 8208 and was very happy how easy my AR15 cleaned up. I loaded up 800 rounds for this June PD shoot. My Grendel barrel and bolt/carrier cleanes up really easy after fireing an 88 round match.

Greyfox
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Bill K wrote:I always thought I was not. Bill K
I was in the same boat, Bill. Hefted a few and finally got to shoot a couple. Then found one that just felt so right I had to have it. Not a .204, yet. Later on, down the pike, though.

Powder-wise, I've only used a few. The BCG gets dirty (sooty) with 8208 and TAC. But no cruddy build up. Wipes off easily.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Bill, I should mention that though I think Benchmark is clean, I've not compared tit anything else, so...

Hey, I think Tokimini posted something about the CFE223, but it was concerning his bolt gun as I recall.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

bow shot wrote:Bill, I should mention that though I think Benchmark is clean, I've not compared tit anything else, so...

Hey, I think Tokimini posted something about the CFE223, but it was concerning his bolt gun as I recall.
I am reading all I can and listening to what the guys are saying. I am sort of leaning towards Tac or W748(which already has had the copper eraser in it, for years, I am told) both of these seem to liked by the shooters. Also both of these are available in my area, all the time, while CFE223 is still not.. Still checking and listening. :) Bill K
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

I definitely vote for Win 748!!!
There are a few issues to be aware of however...
Hodgdon has the "rights" to sell the Winny name, but Ohlin(winchester) is responsible for all data and reloading info. They(ohlin) haven't been holding-up their end of the deal, so Hodgdon has only posted what has been provided.... Meaning VERY anemic loads. Look at the pressures on their(Hodgdon's) site, VERY VERY low. Ohlin sold their only US powder(ball at least) plant a very long time ago. General Dynamics is who bought it, and the only company making ball powder in the States. They are the folks making ALL of Hodgdon's/Winchesters Ball powders.

For a 55gr bullet I started with the LONGTIME benchrest standard of 26.6gr of Win 748 in my AR. Although I never had an issue, the action cycled so softly, that I didn't think it actually picked-up the next round. Currently I am shooting 27 grains. Still cycles much softer than any factory ammo, but gives me enough recoil that I FEEL confident that it cycled.
When 748 is run at low pressure it is a bit sooty, very easy to clean, but a tad sooty. You will also note much cooler barrel temps with 748 compared to many others.
CFE223 is SMP-846(St. Marks Powder, by GD in Florida) which is the military powder for the new M855 all copper round. CFE223 has Tin/bismuth for anti-copper purposes... Which 748 & 760 have had(according to the MSDS) for at least the past 20 years; was just never advertised. If you want an interesting read, pick-up a copy of Hatcher's Notebook; The French started that a LOOOONNNGGG time ago.
Last edited by Darkker on Sat May 12, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

This is a good thread. I am currently useing varget but looking for a claener burning powder myself.

Bill K i was in the same boat as you with the ar platform . Now that i have one i really like it. I did mine in 223 incase i hated it and wanted to dump the whole thing. But wish now i would have did it in 204 but a new 20 cal barrel is easy to drop in.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Clint E wrote:This is a good thread. I am currently useing varget but looking for a claener burning powder myself.

Bill K i was in the same boat as you with the ar platform . Now that i have one i really like it. I did mine in 223 incase i hated it and wanted to dump the whole thing. But wish now i would have did it in 204 but a new 20 cal barrel is easy to drop in.
I have not made up my mind completely as to caliber, yet. Kind of leaning to the 223, for now, as ammo is available everywhere, etc.
However, 204R is becoming more avaiiable and that would make a sweet shooter.. Which ever I start with, I am sure, down the road I would come up with a barrel for the other, in time. :eek: Decisions,decisions :wall: Bill K :)