Which stock for varmint hunting?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Which stock for varmint hunting?

Post by jdohio »

I'm on my way to building a varmint AR in .204. The lower i bought comes with a RRA Tactical CAR stock. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=300

I think I like their RRA Operator stock better due to the cheek weld. What's the consensus here about stocks? all the same and the shooter makes the difference or is one better than another?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: Which stock for varmint hunting?

Post by bow shot »

Well, I started with the plain style old-fashioned stock on mine (A2?) and ended up going to a magpul prs.

Lesson learned: I don't have a lot of hours to get intuitive when shooting, so in my case, I think I would have been better sticking to the plain stock becasue it is most similar (height and length of pull) to my other rifles. Sure, I can dial the magpul up/down, longer/shorter... but once the scope height and relief are good (all done via the rings and base), I think its better to have "one" stock on every rifle, rather than a variety of stocks...

I hope I'm making sense here...

I ended up dialing the magpul down to standard stock config. after all...
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

I to have the standard on my AR, I did have to add a spacer block to the flat top to get the scope height right for me, a lot of people don't seem to need this though. I am building a second one and have purchased an adjustable (length of pull, not height adjustable) buttstock for it. I don't have it together yet but it does feel like it will have a good cheek weld to it. I guess if I had to choose one, I would definately go with the standard buttstock. You can always upgrade, maybe find others with different style's and form your own favorite.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Yup... and I should say that I do wish I could dial the length of pull on my standard stock just a tad longer... That is the one thing that I got out of the Magpul that keeps it attached to the lower. I will very likely, someday, go back tothe standard stock, with an adjustable butt pad. Right now Its chuck killin' time!!!!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Magpul PRS if you have $$$. If not the standard A2 works pretty well.
K = ½mv2
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Post by jdohio »

how about the knock offs? it seems like there are tons of companies that make stocks. i hate to pay extra for a brand name if a cheaper one will do an equal job.

I will give the tactical stock a shot but it seems like at minimum I could benefit from getting a rubber buttpad.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

I don't get a good feeling about the knock-offs... but have never tried one.
WY-NEvarmints
.204 Ruger Guns: AR 204

Post by WY-NEvarmints »

I bought one off of Amazon for just over $100 for my lastest assembly. Appears to be of really good quality and very solid.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I'm running the standard A2 on mine. I had a Magpul PRS for a little while and didn't care that much for it. There was nothing wrong with the quality of the Magpul, but I prefer the more solid feel of the A2 for work on a shooting bench.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Also... I thought the straight "belly" on the PRS would help tame my upward recoil direction (what little there is...), like a target stock or bag rider. Lots of testing, and I don't see it. Of course, YRMV... I'm not a well schooled shooter.