Upcoming Small Caliber Competition News

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Upcoming Small Caliber Competition News

Post by skipper »

Members make ready! I will be posting the official target at the stroke of midnight (CDT) June 1st. The rules will be posted as well. The competition will end the stroke of midnight (CDT) on Sunday, June 30th. Since posts have time stamps, those submitted after the cutoff will not be counted. Get ready for some fun with your favorite small caliber(s).
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sounds good Skipper, and I'm sure there will be many members that will submit targets this year.

Question: You mention 'small caliber(s)'. Can you define exactly what that entails for this competition?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

I came to the understanding that Small Caliber was .224 or smaller as discussed in the thread "What Is a Small Caliber?". I think that was the consensus, correct??
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Correct, and that makes perfect sense.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

I could use some help on the classes of rifles for this competition. I was going to offer two classes, factory and custom. My question is what defines a factory rifle and the same for a custom rifle?? What makes them different? Your input is appreciated.
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Small Caliber Competition. Simple, .224 caliber or smaller, factory or custom. Best five shot group wins. Enough analyzing. It's to be a fun shoot.
Person behind the trigger, most always, determines the out come.
skipper

Post by skipper »

What I'm asking is what separates a factory from a custom rifle. We have had numerous members say they didn't want to compete against a full custom rifle with a factory offering. Where's the line between factory and custom??
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:06 pm What I'm asking is what separates a factory from a custom rifle. We have had numerous members say they didn't want to compete against a full custom rifle with a factory offering. Where's the line between factory and custom??
Always a difficult decision. Suppose someone has a factory rifle with an aftermarket trigger? An all factory rifle with an aftermarket barrel? Then there's the guy with a factory rifle that's been tweaked and tuned by a competent riflesmith. Then of course there may be guys with Cooper or Dakota rifles....they're factory stock, but far and away from say, a Remington 700 in terms of the accuracy they can deliver. Where do you draw the line? Seems complicated to me.

Varmint Shooter has a point, but just two classes, factory and custom does not answer these points, and there's quite a 'grey area' in between.

I won't be entering, just standing outside looking in and see a bit of a conundrum. Things to consider...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

I inclined to agree with Varmint Shooter about the person pulling the trigger being the most significant factor. However, there are those that will be shooting factory rifles with factory ammo. They're going to feel slighted if I post a target with my full custom rig and hand loads.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:31 amThey're going to feel slighted if I post a target with my full custom rig and hand loads.
Exactly why I said it's a conundrum. So Skipper, how are you gonna sort this out? :chin:

No matter the decision, someone is going to feel shorted, no matter what rules are in place. I hope this all gets sorted out to everyone's satisfaction and the shoot is a success.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Keep it simple. .224 or smaller, your rifle no matter what it is, custom or factory stock. If a person believes he can do well, go for it. If he/she thinks odds are against them, due to someone's custom rifle, then don't enter.
I say enter and do the best you can, this is a fun shoot, not a high class competition shoot. Enter, submit a group and just enjoy the fun of doing so. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm inclined to agree again. Let's just shoot, well you guys shoot. Run what ya' brung!! I haven't competed in a single contest yet so I don't see why this year should be any different. I get plenty of competition at local events.

I think this year may be my last one to ramrod this event. Just need someone else to run with the ball for a change. I've been doing this for sixteen years now.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well Skipper you have done a fantastic job, in my humble opinion. I can see the need to take a break or retire from it. Myself I am just too old to even think about jumping in and running such a event.
Hopefully a younger and savy person with PC's, will.

I still say you should shoot in the event. I for one would welcome it. Not any issue with me, even with you doing the scoring and all. I know or sure hope others would feel the same.

At my age, this may well be my last attempt in entering also. It has been fun each year and I have enjoyed competing. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

Bill K wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm At my age, this may well be my last attempt in entering also. It has been fun each year and I have enjoyed competing. :D
As I see it, you'll outlive and out shoot us all.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

First of all...I believe Skipper has done an excellent job at conducting the shooting competitions over the years! Thank you Skipper!
During my relatively short time of membership of this forum, the competitions have been kept fun and conducted well. My opinion on splitting the completion between "factory" and "custom" rifles is simple, let's get out & shoot! The rifle is merely a tool, the user of said tool makes the difference. I'm looking forward to pulling out my 204, turning some gunpowder into noise & putting my skills and my rifle to the test. The best I can do at the time is the best I can do!
Shoot straight & often.