*** 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge ***

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
smgchandler
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 ruger 77 t/c encore and contender rem xr100

Re: *** 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge ***

Post by smgchandler »

OK i held it and squeezed it today !!! - not even a breeze and the sun was shining on the target so i could see real well - should we write our names on the back of our targets for ya or would you rather identify the targets when you take them out of the envelope ?? also i did scan my target and tried to use the ontarget thing and i could see the scanned target but i didnt know what i was doing but i did save the image. will this app measure our group if i figure out how to use it ? - maybe i will play with it a little. My target is not as tight as the 3 target pics from the last shoot but im still gonna send it back !! thanks so much for the opportunity - it was fun and look forward to july 1
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Please, write your name on the back of the target. Return it to:

Skipper
15201 Mason Rd.
PMB #346
Cypress TX 77433

Go you YouTube and search for On Target Precision Calculator. You will find several videos that will walk you through the process to measure your group. I will scan all the targets on my flatbed scanner so that there won't be any variation. We should come up with much the same numbers.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by pre64win »

I sent for a target on May 20, but have not received one yet. Did I do something wrong?
skipper

Post by skipper »

pre64win wrote:I sent for a target on May 20, but have not received one yet. Did I do something wrong?
Most people registered by Private Message (PM). Some were already members and emailed the site administrator to have their password reset. Still others are new members who have just received their board name and registered after that. I believe you were in one of those groups that may have experienced a delay while your information was being forwarded to me. A quick check of my records reveals that I mailed your target today. It should be there very soon.

I apologize for situations where there was a delay in getting your information. Hopefully you will have your targets ASAP. If you HAVE NOT received a target and feel you should have, send me a PM with your information and I'll get yours mailed out as soon as I can. Be very careful to give me your address line by line as it should appear on the envelope. This will help avoid further delays.
pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by pre64win »

Thanks for checking on this and your quick reply. I will watch for the target and look forward to the fun of seeing the results of the challenge.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Well guys and gals, there's only about a week left of the competition. The targets are coming in and July 1st is right around the corner. Please, get to the range this weekend and put five shots on your targets. If your return envelope is postmarked by June 15th it will be scored and count for the final standings of the contest. It MUST be postmarked by June 15th. Thanks.
smgchandler

Post by smgchandler »

Had a heck of a time rounding up a 11x13 envelope- matter of fact I think it has to be bigger than 11x13 !! Had I been smart I would have saved the one it came in. Anyhow mine is coming tomorrow - will take to post office on way home. Looking forward to results
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

smgchandler wrote:Had a heck of a time rounding up a 11x13 envelope- matter of fact I think it has to be bigger than 11x13 !! Had I been smart I would have saved the one it came in. Anyhow mine is coming tomorrow - will take to post office on way home. Looking forward to results
I just cut one side of my target off making it an 8x11 and used a standard 8x10 envelope. Hope that is O.K. Here is my target, left plenty of room for the production class contestants. Dang that 4th shot.

skipper

Post by skipper »

I already have the target. Cutting it down to size is completely acceptable. Next year the targets will be suitable size for mailing overseas. The ones here in the Con US weren't bad.
skipper

Post by skipper »

There are still a number of targets arriving. Things are ramping up towards the July 1st reveal. My nerves are on edge so I can imagine there are some members feeling the heat about now. Good luck guys. It's looking like it could be a tight competition.
smgchandler

Post by smgchandler »

skipper you have all the targets in and i bet you have finished measurements -- give us a little hint and tell us how close they are - are there 10 targets with one small hole or how many can you hide all holes with dime - suspense is killin me and do you get any recognition for 2nd 3rd and so on - will you let us know how many were so close you had to get calipers out on ?? give us a little something to wet lips ;)
skipper

Post by skipper »

This is close. There will be winners announced TOMORROW. I have several targets that I had to turn the magnification way up while scoring. I can hardly stand it myself.
skipper

Post by skipper »

And the winners are:

OVERALL GRAND CHAMPION
GJS (.264 in)

RESERVE CHAMPION
bluestar48 (.293 in)

HONORABLE MENTION
smgchandler (.323 in)

We will let the winners tell you all about their rifles, ammunition, bench set-up, and other details that led to their success. We can pick their brains for next year. Two of the top three groups were shot with production class rifles. A production class gun, right off the shelf, in 204 Ruger is VERY accurate indeed! Notice the TOP 10 Shooters list. Some shooters didn't place in their class simply because their class was heavily populated. I wouldn't want to compete against these guys next year! :eek:

Production –
1st – bluestar48 (.293 in)
2nd – smgchandler (.323 in)
3rd – toasty (.448 in)

Modified Production –
1st – GJS (.390 in)
2nd - Hondo83 (.458 in)
3rd – Silverfox (.777 in)

Custom –
1st – GJS (.264 in)
2nd – Silverfox (.596 in)
3rd – Ray P (.695 in)

AR Platform
1st –
2nd –
3rd –

Top ten details:
1) .264 GJS
2) .293 bluestar48
3) .321 smgchandler
4) .390 GJS
5) .448 toasty
6) .458 Hondo
7) .589 oldfox
8 ) .596 Silverfox
9) .610 pre64win
10) .659 Ray P
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Congrats to the winners. I actually thought I wasn't going to make the top 10 turning in a .45" group. I have since been working with a lee collet die and shot a .350" 5 shot since turning in my target. This contest really pushed my to tune my rifle and load a little better.

Bluestar48, what are you shooting? That is a fantastic group from a production rifle, I'm sure we'd all like to know what gun shoots like that off of the shelf.

Also be interested in what GJS, what are shooting? Those are numbers that can compete in competition with the 6mm BR and 6mm PPC shooters at 100 yards.
smgchandler

Post by smgchandler »

well i am just tickled at my results and shocked !! i felt good about top 10 but wasnt sure how much competition there would be - i think neck tension was my largest hurdle once i found load/powder - i was using a remington XR100 and weaver 36x and bk 39g - i will post load info if anyone wants it -- i shoot off sinclair front rest and rear bag on a home made wood bench - flags that day were motionless and sun was shining on target and little mirage - the shot to the left was me and not the gun - i knew it when i pulled trigger - i usually pause and get off of stock if i can see heart beat but i didnt that time - wish i would have !! but again didnt figure i would even come close to top 10 - i actually posted on other site asking for help on getting all i could out of this rifle because a lot of fellas do not put much confidence in factory rifle and factory barrel and i kind of felt stupid expecting this rifle to shoot like a custom - i have a lot less in this rifle than other customs i do have and it will shoot as well as a 4,000.00 6br so i am pleased to say the least - skipper thanks again for the contest - it was a blast and first time in a while that i actually got adrenaline rush while shooting -- looking forward to next year