*** 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge ***

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

*** 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge ***

Post by skipper »

Let's talk accuracy. Will you accept the challenge?

Announcing the 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge. This is a one hundred (100) yard, five shot group challenge. Winner of each class will be determined by smallest group size with ties being determined by group midpoint distance from point of aim. Registration is limited to registered 204 Ruger Forum members. Classes are available for Production, Modified Production, Custom, and AR platform rifles. Members will be allowed to enter multiple classes. First, second and third place winners will be awarded in each class. The Challenge will also award an Overall Grand Champion and Runner Up without respect to class of firearm. All competitors must shoot the 204 Ruger cartridge. Questionable class registration will be decided by member consensus. The use of bags, rests or bipods is permitted.

Production Class – Off the shelf mass production rifles with off the shelf, non-boosted, scopes. Does not include “custom shop” models. There are some production rifles that, by the nature of their components or construction techniques, could have an advantage over other mass production rifles. These rifles should enter the Modified Production Class. (Examples: Savage 12 Palma, Cooper TRP3)

Modified Production Class – A rifle meeting the above criteria, however having been accurized by the installation of aftermarket parts. Rifles in this class would include “custom shop” models or those rifles whose components or construction techniques would give them an advantage over Production Class rifles. These modifications may include aftermarket triggers and/or barrels.

Custom Class – This is an open class intended for rifles that are constructed from independent components including barrels, triggers, stocks, and actions. There are no restrictions in this class aside from caliber. These rifles are generally assembled by professional gunsmiths and may include custom chambers and rifling.

AR Class – These rifles are built on an AR platform with upper and lower receiver groups. Modifications are expected in this class due to the nature of some builds and the interchangeability of components.

Registration will begin on May 1, 2015. Send a PM to skipper with your name, class, weapon details, and address. You will receive an official 204um Postal Challenge target in the mail. *Shoot five shots for record on the target from a measured 100 yard distance. Mail the target to the return address provided by June 15th. Winners will be announced on July 1, 2015. First, second and third place logos will be distributed to the winners and may be inserted into the member’s signature line using the photo posting instructions found on the forum. Remember, this is a friendly competition amongst members. Please, use the honor system.

Good Luck

*Returned targets with more than five shots will be scored to the largest group size. Targets with less than five shots will not qualify for placement. When returning targets, do not fold or crease the target across the shot group. Shot holes of a caliber other than the 204 will be disqualified. All scoring will be done using On Target Precision Calculator V2.10.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Re: *** 2015 Ruger 204um Five Shot Challenge ***

Post by 247sniper »

Entered, can't wait ;)

Steve
Tarrin
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Tarrin »

It's on!!
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

I signed up early, hope that is OK. If I don't do it now, I won't remember to do it at all. I doubt I will win, but it would be interesting to see how I stack up to other production class shooters.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I will except early registrations. Especially from our members across the waters.
skipper

Post by skipper »

"accept" that is. Itchy trigger finger, I guess.
cabbie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by cabbie »

Sounds like great fun! I haven't got my .204 Savage yet, but have a question re: aftermarket stocks. Would putting an aftermarket stock (doing the work myself) put me into the "modified" class? Or is "modified" limited to mechanical changes to the barrel or action?
Thanks--I look forward to joining in soon. I'll also be studying the reloading tips thoroughly as I intend to "make my own".
Also--
--what are the dates for allowable entries?
--should targets be submitted to a judging panel selected by you, or should they be measured and measurements submitted be the participants?
--if self-measured, will you be sending instructions on correct group size measurement, etc?
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a 73 year old newbie--still learning.
skipper

Post by skipper »

An aftermarket stock replacement is usually accompanied by a bedding job and possibly pillars, etc. As the rules say "Questionable class registration will be decided by member consensus." Therefore, we'll leave it up to the members to decide if you are in the proper class.

In order to be fair, the returned targets must have a postmark of no later than June 15th.

I will score ALL targets by scanning them into my computer and using the On Target Precision Calculator Version 2.10 (see the fine print at the bottom of the announcement) You are more than welcome to measure the group size yourself as long as you do not render the shot holes unmeasurable through tampering. Don't poke anything through the holes to aid in measurement. Don't fold or crease the target across the shot group. I have to be fair in order for the competition to have meaning. Just remember to use the honor system and all will go well.

My instructions for measuring the group yourself is to download the FREE version of the On Target Precision Calculator and follow the directions. You simply install the program on your computer and scan the target. Then open the scan within the program and identify the shot holes. There could be differences if everyone used differing brands of scanners and such so I will make sure that all targets are scanned into my computer using the exact same methods so there is little or no deviation. I will save any and all targets and scans. I still have the targets from the 2008 Postal Shoot. Here's an example.

smgchandler
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 ruger 77 t/c encore and contender rem xr100

Post by smgchandler »

after looking at the targets posted above - i might as well save my ammo !! - fellas i need to ask about a remington factory xr100 - will i need to register as production ?? no after market parts - trigger cleaned up and nothing else ?? also i do not see the fine print with the info for On Target Precision Calculator Version 2.10 - thanks
skipper

Post by skipper »

On Target Precision Calculator

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/index.html
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

skipper--I'm not sure if I missed this or not when I read the rules, but is there one specific brand or type of target everyone is supposed to use or do we use any old target we can lay our hands on???? Where do I get the prairie dog or squirrel target????
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
skipper

Post by skipper »

The picture is a copy of the target I will be mailing you. Send me a PM with your Name, board name, class, rifle information, and mailing address. I will mail the targets out on May 1, 2015. Return them postmarked on or before June 15th. You can enter as many classes as you like. Good Luck!
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

any specific reason that we are limited to a 204 Ruger only? Seems like it would make sense to open it up to any 20 caliber cartridge especially for the Modified Production Class or Custom Class.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I can't speak for skipper, but maybe it is limited to .204 Ruger because of the name of the Board which you see in the upper left-hand corner of first Web page, which I have copied and inserted below this paragraph: :idea:

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
madk1w1

Post by madk1w1 »

Sounds like fun Skipper, long time since I've been on here, still loving my 204, so factory Ruger VT is production class.
Shooting paper will be a novelty normally shooting 1 shot groups at over 100yds with no need for the second shot:)