2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge

Post by skipper »

Greetings and Salutations

It is with great pleasure that I announce the 2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge. Here are the rules:

1) You must be a registered member of the forum to participate.
2) This competition is restricted to the .204 Ruger cartridge, no other caliber will be accepted.
3) Send me a Private Message (PM) with your *board name and **mailing address and I will send you an official target.
4) Once you receive an official target take it to the range and shoot five shots at a measured 100 yards.
5) Mail the target back to me at the return address given at registration. Return postmark must be by September 1st.
6) Only one target per member, please.

* Your registered username on this forum along with your actual name for mailing purposes.
** Your mailing address as it would appear, line for line, on the mailing envelope. International addresses accepted.
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST with your personal information. Once you do that it has been posted in the public domain and can be seen and copied by any and all.

When you send me your name and address I will send you a reply notifying you that your registration has been received and processed. Check your inbox for the registration verification frequently as my outbox loads up quickly and PMs that I send remain in my outbox until you open them.

**There will only be one class this year due to the lack of response in the classes offered during previous challenges**

We had two shooters at the last challenge that won second and third places with factory stock weapons SO most any 204 Ruger would be competitive. Believe when I say that the real challenge is with the pressure of the competition, not the capability of the weapon. This is a gentleperson's (gentleman or gentle woman) competition based on a Code of Honor. The targets will have some security feature to prevent replication but aside from that it's going to be up to the individual members to adhere to the Code. My personal advice is to buy a newspaper the day you shoot for score and take a picture of you, the newspaper (date showing) and the official target without any shot holes at the range for verification purposes, if a controversy develops.

Code of Honor
A gentleman does not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do.

GOOD LUCK!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: 2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge

Post by Silverfox »

I have three .204 Ruger rifles. May I enter one target for each of these rifles or am I only allowed to choose one of the three .204 Ruger rifles and enter just one one target????
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
.218bee
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by .218bee »

I would almost like to see different classes for magnification in future challenges. Like a 9x-12x class and 16x-up class or something along those lines, a person with a 3x-9x isnt going to stand a chance against someone with a 16x-24x scope. Just a suggestion though...
"There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

AWESOME!!! I'm in!
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Post by Blacknsilver »

I'm in!
skipper

Post by skipper »

To answer the question about classifications, we have tried that in the past. The problem is getting enough people registered in each class to make it competitive. We have never thought of classifications by scope magnification. That would seem to compound the problem. A classification for each type rifle and then by scope magnification. For example a class for factory rifles with factory ammo, a class for factory rifles with hand loads, a class for modified production, and another for black rifles and custom rigs. To add another division for each rifle type and also grouped by scope magnification would make the competition too cluttered to be interesting. Too many winners for a hand full of competitors. Normally we have about twenty five or so participants. Next year, we might entertain classifications if there is enough interest. I'm game but others might not be as interested. Thanks, for the suggestion.

Hopefully this competition will attract new members and more activity on the forum.
smgchandler
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 ruger 77 t/c encore and contender rem xr100

Post by smgchandler »

I would love to participate
.218bee
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by .218bee »

Ah ok, im new here and didnt know the average number of shooters, can we get kind of a "rig rundown" from everyone though? Knowing that 1st used a 16x-24x and 2nd is say, .010" off but used a 4x-12x, i would be more impressed by the 2nd place target. And it would just be cool to know what all i was shooting against. Either way, thanks for having me!
"There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

218 Bee/ We. I am like you, I guess, do not have a full blown custom rifle, so will be shooting against some very good folks and their weapon. But it will still be fun and heck, who knows a person just might pull off a very good group and have a chance to win or place near the top. All in fun, so have at it and give it a shot.. Bill K
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

as far as scope magnification most of here are running some sort of adjustable. I would not object to limiting my zoom to even the playing field. It would have to be on peoples word of honor.

In the end it is all going to boil down to the shooters skills more than scope magnification. A pulled shot is a pulled shot no matter what the scope is zoomed to.

The rifle I will be shooting started it's life with me as a 125 dollar Stevens 200 out of a pawn shop so nothing too fancy here
skipper

Post by skipper »

We have 22 registered shooters on the first day. I may need to ramp up target production. This thing could go viral.
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by JaxTeller »

I'm in!

This can be a monthly challenge. I do this on another board with a few other folks. I'll post a thread with that.

For now, I'm all in.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I took the targets out behind my house this morning and hung them 100 yards away. I used my Leupold RX-1200 TBRW with DNA to verify the range. This particular range finder has a 6X magnification. I was able to make out the 2.5" bulls-eye but not much detail. Then I got out my lowest magnification scope which is a Simmons Model 1002 M1 4X15. I took that scope off of a single shot 22LR I bought my son years ago. I could make out the bulls-eye enough to be competitive as long as nothing moved. So even if you have a 6X9 fine cross haired scope you should be good to go. Not bragging, but the Marines still qualify out to 500 yards with open sights.

The average skull of a prairie dog is about 2.4 inches long so this target should work well for this competition. Remember, it is supposed to be a Challenge!! I start mailing targets today.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Thank you, and 101 % Skipper. It is the challenge. Win, lose or draw.. All for fun. Bill K
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

Thanks Skipper… Look forward to getting it in the mail.