2018 Going Postal 5 Shot Challenge

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 2018 Going Postal 5 Shot Challenge

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper: Good job buddy on all the graphics! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Ya know, I think the first postal shoot was 10 years ago. We had a lot of fun with that one, didn't we? The winner icons were prized back then. I just hope no one takes this competition too seriously.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Seems like the one's shooting in the event now are all on the same loop, of it being a fun shoot. Bill K
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

My bad Skipper, but I have lost your address to send the targets, when we have them ready for entry. Can you please give it again. Thank you. Bill K ( So now, since it is June 1, 2018, we can begin scoring, right ? )
skipper

Post by skipper »

YES, it's time to dust off the ole 204 Rugers and get those targets in the mail. I will get the Post Office Box today and post the address.

Official Rules:
204 Ruger ONLY
Contest will run from June 1st to July 31st. Any target with a JULY 31 Postmark will be scored.
Print out the targets you find on this post and place five shots only on it at 100 yards.
Mail it to me at the address I will post later today.
Smallest group, closest to the center of the bull's-eye will win. One entry per member.
There is ONLY 1 CLASS, so all shooters will be competing against everyone.
The competition is limited to registered members ONLY. Please contact the administrator to become a registered member.
GOOD LUCK - You have 2 (two) months (July 31 deadline) to do your best!!!
There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners announced on August 1st!!!
skipper

Post by skipper »

The address for mailing targets is:
Skipper
15201 Mason Rd., Suite 1000
Box 339
Cypress, Texas 77433

Remember, you can only submit one target. The contest doesn't end until the last day of July so take your time and shoot straight.
TucoTom
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21

Post by TucoTom »

Count me in Skipper....I printed Five, think that's enough!
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I'm in as well! I printed one copy and will practice on a different target. :-)
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
VANAMAL
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper montana Varminter

Post by VANAMAL »

Im in! Got my new cooper mtv and a leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40. Now if i can stop shaking!
skipper

Post by skipper »

TucoTom wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am Count me in Skipper....I printed Five, think that's enough!
I think you have the right strategy. :wtg:
You can ONLY SUBMIT 1 target. So, why turn targets in before you give it your very best.
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

1st attempt.🤦‍♂️ One little off target missile... Might have to start reloading ...🤔
Attachments
76B957E4-FE96-481C-AF33-709B2EDF98BF.jpeg
76B957E4-FE96-481C-AF33-709B2EDF98BF.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 33517 times
skipper

Post by skipper »

Fordevr wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm 1st attempt.🤦‍♂️ One little off target missile... Might have to start reloading ...🤔
If that was the first shot you could probably chalk it up to the first shot flier on a clean bore. Try a few fouling shots to get that barrel settled in before you shoot for score. If that was a flier in mid string, you might want to try sorting your rounds before firing. Roll the bullets across a table one by one and watch the tip of the bullet for wobble. Set the wobblers aside to use as fouling shots. Then sort for length, etc.
Fordevr

Post by Fordevr »

skipper wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:37 am
If that was the first shot you could probably chalk it up to the first shot flier on a clean bore. Try a few fouling shots to get that barrel settled in before you shoot for score. If that was a flier in mid string, you might want to try sorting your rounds before firing. Roll the bullets across a table one by one and watch the tip of the bullet for wobble. Set the wobblers aside to use as fouling shots. Then sort for length, etc.
[/quote]

Unfortunately there were 3 previous shots to get the wind figured in so I was as close to bullseye as possible. My last shot before the 5 target shots was more in line with the lower one. I’m gonna start paying more attention to where the fliers are and will sort the ammo like you said.

When I sort for length just curious as to length of bullet seated or was length over all seated depth. Also you said to sort for length etc...what would the etc be? Any help is appreciated. I’ll pick up another box so I have more to choose from. Thx for the suggestions. I have a level on my rifle so I do my best to keep every thing the same. I know I didn’t flinch that much. Lol
skipper

Post by skipper »

If you have the right tools, a comparator, you should measure from the bullet ogive so that all your rounds are the same with relation to the rifle throat and start of the lands and grooves.

Another thing that might be worth investigating is the dreaded carbon ring build up that occurs after so many rounds. The ring forms just past the throat of your rifle. Clean your bore as well as you can. Then dip a patch in bore cleaner and push it just past the chamber into the lands and let it sit for an hour or so. Then take a look to see if the patch has turned black. That could be an indication of a carbon ring that needs to be removed with bore paste. Once a carbon ring forms, the rifle will start loosing accuracy and fail to group.
Fordevr

Post by Fordevr »

skipper wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm If you have the right tools, a comparator, you should measure from the bullet ogive so that all your rounds are the same with relation to the rifle throat and start of the lands and grooves.

Another thing that might be worth investigating is the dreaded carbon ring build up that occurs after so many rounds. The ring forms just past the throat of your rifle. Clean your bore as well as you can. Then dip a patch in bore cleaner and push it just past the chamber into the lands and let it sit for an hour or so. Then take a look to see if the patch has turned black. That could be an indication of a carbon ring that needs to be removed with bore paste. Once a carbon ring forms, the rifle will start loosing accuracy and fail to group.
Imagine someone explaining physics to an 3 yr old... that’s the look I have on my face. Lol