2018 Going Postal 5 Shot Challenge Winners!!!

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

2018 Going Postal 5 Shot Challenge Winners!!!

Post by skipper »

My PO Box had 6 targets in it this morning. I have tallied the scores and am prepared to announce the 2018 Winners!!!
Drum roll, please. :music3:

In 1st place and entitled to bear the title of 2018 Overall Winner:
22Jim with a group size of 0.22

In 2nd place and entitled to bear the title of 2018 2nd Place Winner:
Bill K with a group size of 0.234

In 3rd place and entitled to bear the title of 2018 3rd Place Winner:
204Ever with a group size of 0.247

Congratulations
Please send me your email addresses so I can send your Winner's Icons. I have asked Tarrin to make a revision to the Signature lines for uploading pics, but for now you will have to use a photo hosting website.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 2018 Going Postal 5 Shot Challenge Winners!!!

Post by Bill K »

Well son of a gun. :D Did better than I thought, this year. Thanks Skipper for all your time and effort on this fun shoot. Sent PM with email address. Bill K :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

It would be nice if you guys would give us some information about your guns and ammo reloading detail. Just for the record.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My rifle is a Savage Axis s/a reciever that I put a 24 inch Model 11 barrel I had bought, on. It is in a Boyd's stock and has a Weaver Grand slam scope 6-20x40, I mostly shoot it set at 12x. The load is Hornady, with 29.4 grains of CFE223, under a 32 grain Nosler Varmaggedon tipped bullet. FPS is just over 3900. For the shoot, I do match as close as possible the weight of the cases, trim and hand weigh the powder charge on a digital scale. This set up works well for me. I used the same load and set up with 32 grain bullets in z-max, Sierra & the Midsouth Varmint nightmares, for my ground squirrel, rock chuck, rabbit and coyote shooting. For the fun shoot, I shot off a bench, tripod on the front and sand bag on the rear. Nice solid rest. Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Now if I can or could add to my handle as a avatar, I sure would. Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Skipper, by the way how many did enter targets for this years shoot ? Bill K :)
521dvx
.204 Ruger Guns: #1Savage 12LRPV , Ruger #1 , Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by 521dvx »

Thanks for handling the postal challenge.
skipper

Post by skipper »

We had about 15 targets that were submitted for scoring. That’s way down from past competitions. Perhaps the Winner Badges will spark more interest next year. What would make you enter or not?? I’m curious.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Personally, I enter, just for the fun of it and to submit a target to compare with others and learn what their load is, to also compare with my findings. The plaque, this years, is nice, but at the same time, not a issue, to me anyway, on if I would enter or not.

Thanks for the total, it is down, maybe it just hit a time with others being busy and unable to send one in. Next year will be better. Bill K
521dvx

Post by 521dvx »

I am with Bill K, I just enter for the fun of it. It does not mater to me about the badge.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Skipper, Thanks for all of the time you've put into this competition! This challenge was a great excuse to get the 204 out & have some fun, not that I need much of an excuse. As for the reason I entered, I just enjoy shooting and comparing my skills to others on the forum. I am wondering if you would post the group sizes for all of the entries, just curiosity on my part, not a big thing. Thanks again for your efforts with this challenge & looking forward to the next one.
Shoot straight & often.
Big-D
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77 MkII, CZ 527 Varmint, Tikka T3 SS lite, RAP

Post by Big-D »

First, thanks to Skipper for spearheading the “Going Postal” competition. Like many others, I entered as a gun/shooting enthusiast. Congrats to the winners! That was some mighty fine shooting. It would be nice to see a tally of results from all the targets but that would impose even more demands on Skipper’s time to measure and compile all the data. I don’t know how to score or have a pair of calipers. It would also be nice to know what each person is shooting and whether they do their own reloads or not. As for me, I knew you guys were out of my league. I was shooting a stock Ruger model 77 mark II with Hornady 40 grain Vmax ammo. I only shot the one target after taking 6-7 shots to fine tune the sighting of my scope which is cheap glass. Maybe next year I’ll mount one of my better scopes and/or try a different gun.
I'm here to kick-butt and drink whiskey. And pilgrim, I'm all out of whiskey!
skipper

Post by skipper »

I do have all the group size information available, but I didn't post it in case someone objects to having their information shared without their consent. I would really, really like to know how to make this annual competition more attractive to ALL members?? Got a suggestion you don't want to voice in public?? Send me a Private Message. I'm open to any and All suggestions for improvement. But, to be fair, the only way I can see to level the playing field equally is to personally measure ALL the targets on the same scanner and using On Target. Too many variables if it's done any other way.

There were two targets I scored this year that the group measurement was separated by 0.001 of an inch. :not: I don't think that would be resolvable if those targets weren't scored using the exact same equipment.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I really can't add anything Skipper, to help make it more attractive. As for scoring, I think you are 100% correct in your doing the final scoring with the On Target method. No one should object to that, especially when this is a fun shoot, with no cash/solid trophy involved. I also have not objection to you posting my score and I really would not think anyone else would. Maybe next year we could add that as a note to our targets, post or not. I do like to compare with others, so I know how much better I must do. Bill K
521dvx

Post by 521dvx »

I know I am down the list of scores. I do not mind mine being public. I also agree with scoring the targets on one scanner .