Next Year's 5 Shot Challenge Rifles

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Next Year's 5 Shot Challenge Rifles

Post by skipper »

I've decided to participate in next year's competition despite the conflict of interest concern. There have been some members making extravagant statements about their expertise at extreme ranges that just seem a little exaggerated. Here's your chance to put your trigger finger where your mouth is. I'm sure that a mere 100 yards would be child's play to you. If you're going to talk smack, I'm going to call you out for the 5 Shot Challenge next year. I can already feel the tension of firing that 4th shot, seeing that nice tight group downrange, and realizing you have to pull that trigger one more time. :eek:

Let's see what you're bringing to the competition. Here's my little offering.

My 204.jpg
My 204.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 11211 times

Here she is working up loads with the chronograph.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.02.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 4.02.13 PM.png (483.9 KiB) Viewed 11211 times

AND the post range session deep cleaning.

My 204 of choice.png
My 204 of choice.png (614.14 KiB) Viewed 11211 times

What's going on your bench??
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Next Year's 5 Shot Challenge Rifles

Post by Bill K »

Skipper: As I said last year, I have not one issue or problem with you shooting in the challenge shot. The shoot is a honor system and with no cash or prize involved, I see no conflict of interest, even with you doing the scoring and recording of the placements and winners. Win or lose, I will offer a target against all comers, those that say they can shot lights out and those that just shot and have fun competing against each other, for the fun of it. That is one nice rifle and looks like a very sweet setup, with your loads and it you should do very well. I just hope you can beat my score :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill K :) ( I look forward to this years shoot and Thank you for all your work and effort to have it again)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Let's see a picture of the rifle you intend to tear us up with next year. This post is intended for pictures of your competition rig.
skipper

Post by skipper »

:hail: 22Jim, Bill K, 204Ever were last year's winners. :hail: Please post some pictures of the winning rigs.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

This it at work in one pivot.. Savage switch barrel set up, with Vortex scope and 32 grain bullets, either lead free or standard tipped varmeggedons
000_0002.JPG
000_0002.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 11200 times
000_0002.JPG
000_0002.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 11200 times
skipper

Post by skipper »

Is that the same rifle you used in the last competition??
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Same, but this is another Boyd stock. I switch around between two lami stocks. The 204 barrel will be in this same one, or the darker one, I had it in last year. All I do is recheck the poi, when I move them around, depending on what caliber I am using at the time.. Bill K
22Jim
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV .204

Post by 22Jim »

Here are some pics of the rifle that finished 5th in 2017 and first this year. It is a bone stock Savage model 12 LRPV. I acquired this rifle in a trade for a 22-250 Ruger No. 1 Varmint. When I got the rifle I could never get it dialed in to shoot accurately at more than a handful of distances. After hundreds of rounds and countless hours tinkering with scopes and mounts I concluded the mounting holes for the scope bases were not parallel to the bore of the rifle. I sent it back to Savage who did something to correct the problem because ever since I got it back from them it has been a 1/2 MOA rifle (or better). Its favorite load is a 39gr Sierra Blitz King over RL15 and Remington 7.5 primers. The Scope is a Weaver V24 with 1/4 MOA dot reticle.

I'm looking forward to the 2019 Challenge. I prefer competitions that are shot at a single target like the 2017 Challenge where skill is at a premium as opposed to volume of shots, Maybe we could have a Skipper create a target with 3 bulls, you shoot 5 shots at each bull and count the 2 best groups for your score. This would help compensate for a bad round or gust of wind at the wrong time.

22Jim
Sacramento, CA
Ruger_204-1.jpg
Ruger_204-1.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
Ruger_204-2.jpg
Ruger_204-2.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
Ruger_204-3.jpg
Ruger_204-3.jpg (32.68 KiB) Viewed 11152 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Three bullseyes, etc. not a bad idea, except that sure puts more work on Skipper, who does all the scoring, re-checking and posted all on his own time and with no compensation. I think one target, as we have been doing, makes it about a easy and with less work for the man that offers this shoot to us, that enter. Bill K :)
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

Read your post on extravagant statements,seems exaggerated.I AM CALLING YOU OUT. IF You Cab Beat Any of MY best GROUPS AT 500,600.700,800.900 or At 1000 yards.I WILL GIVE YOU a couple of BOXES [100] EA NOSLER BULLETS FREE ,I"LL even pay shipping too.SIMPLE rules for you 3 shots.204 ruger w/up to 40 grain bullets ,no free recoiling rests etc.40 grain bullets any brand.I Sincerely hope you do,but your going to have to shoot under a 1/4 MOA out to 800 yards ,under 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards.I:D If you any Doubts of what I have posted ;Call Rollinghills Rifle and Pistol Range in Macks Creek Mo , ASK for BRIAN he is the Owner, Ask him about the guy that drives a BLUE JEEP; He has shot my rifles and can testify as to what they will do.I have a Consulation PRIZE; FREE DINNER on ME, {A nice plate of CROW :D and a big OL PIECE of HUMBLE PIE :D :lol: I'M from MISSOURI,the show me state; ]SO SHOW ME]. NOW THAT'S A CHALLENGE! VARGET 204.
skipper

Post by skipper »

22Jim

I believe that's the same rifle Hawkeye Joe used to win the 2008 Postal Shoot. That's a sweet shooting rifle, right out of the box. Did you change barrels or make any other modifications?
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Gentlemen...let's keep this civil! Smack talk does nothing to bolster this forum. The proof is in the pudding, shooting 5 shots at a target at a reasonable distance is what these challenges are about. If we shoot a great group at the challenge target on a particular day, we do well in the challenge, period. I for one enjoy this forum because of the helpful nature of the majority of the members, if we descend into the bickering "pit", we may as well become politicians. The challenge should be open to all members of this forum & let the targets speak for themselves. Skipper, thanks for all you do to in conducting these challenges! Lets keep it simple & let the best target win.
OK, I'm off my soap box now, it's time to go cut a Christmas tree, happy holidays to all!
Shoot straight & often.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Maybe it is just me, but I have only seen one party going back and forth on comments and the challenge. I agree let's keep it as it has been for the last few years, with one target, five shots with your 204 R any bullet, etc. and with Skipper doing has he has with scoring and posting of winners.
Anyone wanting to enter may do so and just follow the few simple rules as is. It has been fun and will continue to be if we just comply and not rock the boat. :D Bill K :)
22Jim
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV .204

Post by 22Jim »

skipper wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm 22Jim

I believe that's the same rifle Hawkeye Joe used to win the 2008 Postal Shoot. That's a sweet shooting rifle, right out of the box. Did you change barrels or make any other modifications?
No mods whatsoever. The rifle is as it came from Savage. I did spend some time working up loads and it became obvious that the rifle liked the 39gr Sierra BlitzKing and RL15. When Federal had a factory load with the 39gr BlitzKing my rifle shot those as well as my hand loads. The only knock on these rifles was that many of them are not nearly as accurate with the 32gr bullets. Mine shoots the lighter bullets OK, but nothing like the 39gr loads. That is not a problem for me because I have never been a speed freak.

22Jim
Sacramento
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

varget204 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:05 pm Read your post on extravagant statements,seems exaggerated.I AM CALLING YOU OUT. IF You Cab Beat Any of MY best GROUPS AT 500,600.700,800.900 or At 1000 yards.I WILL GIVE YOU a couple of BOXES [100] EA NOSLER BULLETS FREE ,I"LL even pay shipping too.SIMPLE rules for you 3 shots.204 ruger w/up to 40 grain bullets ,no free recoiling rests etc.40 grain bullets any brand.I Sincerely hope you do,but your going to have to shoot under a 1/4 MOA out to 800 yards ,under 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards.I:D If you any Doubts of what I have posted ;Call Rollinghills Rifle and Pistol Range in Macks Creek Mo , ASK for BRIAN he is the Owner, Ask him about the guy that drives a BLUE JEEP; He has shot my rifles and can testify as to what they will do.I have a Consulation PRIZE; FREE DINNER on ME, {A nice plate of CROW :D and a big OL PIECE of HUMBLE PIE :D :lol: I'M from MISSOURI,the show me state; ]SO SHOW ME]. NOW THAT'S A CHALLENGE! VARGET 204.
Varget204: If I understand you correctly with your MOA figures. A person would then be having to shoot 1/10 MOA at 100 yrds. Therefore I would guestimate that you are putting all your 40 grain factory 204R rounds into one hole, is that correct ? I guess I am just satisfied with the old, tried and true MOA of 1" at 100 2" at 200 or slightly better. Bill K :)