2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: 2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Post by skipper »

I shoot free recoil. I usually spend the bulk of my time setting up my front rest and rear bag making sure they are still truly aligned with the target after recoil. I fire a few, maybe ten or so, fouling rounds to make sure that I can simply push the rifle back to the front rest stop and still be centered on the bulls eye. I never touch the rifle with my body and choose to place the tip of my pointer finger on the trigger just enough to be able to apply pressure straight to the rear. I have a Jewell 1 ounce trigger so it doesn't take much to touch it off. I have a bag set up behind the rifle so I can have a consistent cheek weld without touching the rifle at all with my shoulder. If I cannot get the grouping I want during the setup phase, I usually go home and try it again another day.

Not sure if this explanation makes sense to anyone but me. Your mileage may vary BUT that is how I do it. Never did like bipods, they always seem to recoil inconsistently.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Re: 2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Post by WesF »

I go to the local (50 mile round trip) public range. I choose this range because it stretches out to 575 yards if I'm preparing for some "skippy" population control. I use bags front & rear, right hand on the grip to squeeze the trigger, left hand controlling the rear bag and cheek on the stock comb riser. I use this rifle setup because this is as close as I can get to my setup when in the field. If I'm shooting for score I'll pick a day with little wind or at least a favorable direction and speed. If I'm out practicing to shoot "skippy" I don't care about the wind as this is the way it is out in the field, I read the wind using the taller grass on the range. I like to start with a clean barrel, shoot a coupling fouling shots and then work on my score. While shooting, I'll take a break every 5 to 10 rounds to allow the barrel to return to a reasonable temperature. This may not sound like the best methodology to shoot for score, but I punch paper as a means to develop loads and ultimately a clean and ethical kill in the field. As a side note, when out chasing "skippy", we sometimes go mobile using home made tripods and bag chairs carried on modified jogging strollers giving us almost endless possibilities for hunting large pastures. When I pull out the tripod & chair setup at the range, it makes for some really curious looks from my fellow "range rats"! :lol:
Shoot straight & often.