2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: 2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Post by skipper »

A meplat trimmer is used to uniform the very tip of your bullets. If I was confined to using manufactured ammo, I would try to make sure that I was selecting 20 or so bullets that were as exactly matched as humanly possible. That way you could improve your odds compared to those who have the ability to use all the reloading equipment. There are some tools that would make that possible without necessarily reloading. Depending on exactly what the definition of reloading is where you are. A comparator and a good set of calipers would allow you to measure the Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) base to ogive. A concentricity gauge would allow you to determine the overall runout (off center) of each cartridge. A scale would allow you to weigh and sort cartridges. It would all depend on what was legal in your country and what equipment you have access to.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
bunny shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Semi custom Remy 700 + Sightron STac 4-20x50

Post by bunny shooter »

Something to look into there skipper. Basically we cannot have component parts of ammo just 'complete' rounds.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Just a teaser target so you know what I am working on for the upcoming 5 shot tourney.. 100 yrds, bipod on front sand bag on rear on a bench. 1/2 inch red dot. First two off to left are putting the rifle back on paper after putting in the model 12 SS fluted barrel, that I had the smith cut down and re-crown to 24 inch. next five shots are in the one ragged hole. See furthest center to center in upper # and group overall size in lower one. So hope all of you are also getting ready.. Bill K :)
102_5865.JPG
102_5865.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 8803 times
102_5866.JPG
102_5866.JPG (908.9 KiB) Viewed 8803 times
bunny shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Semi custom Remy 700 + Sightron STac 4-20x50

Post by bunny shooter »

Serious group there !
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I would accept it for sure, but it is a little larger than the one I entered last year. But we have a few months to work on smaller. Then I will give this load and all some look see out to at least 500 yrds. for the fun of it and for that rock chuck that shows out there. This load in another 204R has taken them out into the 400 yrd range last year. :D Bill K :)
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

That's some serious shooting there Bill! Looks like we're got our work cut out here. Randy.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My old shooting buddy said I should not have shown this group, as it would stop some, MAYBE, from entering. I say, there are plenty of you out there that can beat that group and me. So don't back off, enter and have fun. Is your rifle zeroing in now Randy ? Bill K
randyman

Post by randyman »

I don't think posting a couple of target photos will keep anyone from entering this year's competition-at least I hope not! The goal I think is to encourage us to get out and shoot and to continue looking for ways to improve while sharing what we've learned. The first year I entered, I came in somewhere around the middle of the pack. Last year, individual standings weren't posted, just the top 3 but it would've been nice to see where I stood. I know it's a lot of work by Skipper and really appreciate all he does to make this happen.
Well, Bill-groups are getting a little bit better but I've still got a lot more shooting to do (that's a good thing!) Interesting that I was recently talking to your/my friend Varmint Shooter about the process of converting .223 brass to 20VT and then that topic popped up saubier. Randy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm listening Randyman. This year I intend to post ALL entrant scores. I also have a plan where you can get up to three tries. I'm trying to make this year's competition better than previous year's competitions. Targets will definitely be 8.5 X 11 so the postage won't be quite so steep.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

I'd like to give er a go when the time comes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Watch the site Terrace and when Skipper makes the announcement regarding time & date and asks for your address to send official target to you, make the reply and join the fun.. Looking forward to seeing your entry/target and hope you can be one of the top three winners. Bill K
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

Doubtful but i might as well try
skipper

Post by skipper »

So, tell us what your bench shooting technique is. Are you a dedicated bag squeezer? Do you prefer a firm hold on the rifle OR do you shoot free recoil? Do you use an anemometer (wind meter) or put out flags and whirly gigs? Just how do you go about getting set up to shoot for score?
randyman

Post by randyman »

I shoot off a concrete table at the local public range (when it isn't flooded). Typically, I use a bipod on the front and stack up recycled shot bags filled with beans for the rear rest although I may change to rice filled pretty soon. I settle in to the rifle with just my left hand (lefty here)touching the trigger and grip and have my right arm wrapped under the gun. I try to pick a day without much wind and rely on the which way the weeds are blowing for any wind allowance. I usually have 3 or more targets taped to my target stand and have the targets labeled with the load data I'm shooting at that particular target. I have a notebook with a sketch of the target arrangement to refer to so I don't shoot the wrong target. I prefer a small 1/4" fluorescent dot for my point of aim as i believe I shoot better that way (small target-small group). I usually arrive with a cleaned barrel and shoot a couple fouler shots which also helps with my trigger control (8 oz.)before zeroing in on my first target. I'll usually shoot 5 rounds at the same target then take a short break before shooting the next 5. Usually, I'll shoot about 25-50 rounds before calling it a day although sometimes I take a couple other rifles to shoot while I'm there. That's about all I do. I may change to a front bag this year because I get a bit of jump from the bipod-always to the left though to see if that makes a difference. Randy.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I basically do like Randyman. Bipod on front, bag with plastic beads on rear. Off of my swivel bench on a early morning outing with no wind/breeze if possible. A couple fouling shots, then fire the five for score, but not rushing in between. Sometimes I think about a bag on front, might be a little more steady, may experiment prior to going for score on this years event/contest. Bill K :)