2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
bunny shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Semi custom Remy 700 + Sightron STac 4-20x50

Re: 2019 5 Shot Challenge Preparation Topics

Post by bunny shooter »

Bill K wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am When the time comes and Skipper asks for address Bunny Shooter, send him yours and your target will be on it's way, so you can enter the fun. You will just have to be sure your target gets back to him before the deadline of entry.. All that will be explained by Skipper when the time comes.. Looking forward to your entry and group for chance to place in top three.. :D Bill K :)
Sound thanks for info :wtg:

I'll take part for the craic .............. gave up competitive shooting a while ago.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Randyman has posted a couple of really interesting posts about his case preparation journey. I firmly believe he's on the right track. I think it's wise to set aside 25 or more cases and bullets that are as close to identical as possible for competitive shooting purposes. Minimizing deviation and variation is one way to stack the deck in your favor when it comes to shooting groups on paper. Do some research about case preparation for accuracy, then start preparing some cases you can set aside specifically for competitive shooting or load development. The emphasis should be on making all the cases and bullets as identical as possible. If you take care of them, they will last for many, many uses. If one becomes damaged or worn out, you may be able to replace it with another. That way you are always ready for some serious load development or competitive shooting. Kudos to Randyman.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper what Randy is doing is a good idea. I know the rounds I shoot for score in the 5 shot tourney are some that I do my best to match up, from weight, trim and prepped along with hand measuring the load and then matching bullet weight as close as I can. Usually have at least 10 set up for score.
This year with three targets on a sheet, I will have at least 15 set to go. Everything matched as close as I can get them. Bill K :)
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I gotta admit-it's the 5 shot challenge that got me headed down this OCD path of reloading. I've participated the past 2 years and did a lot of load development leading up to each year's shoot. Actually, it gave me another excuse to get out of the house and go to the range to convert gunpowder to noise. I had tried numerous powders, bullets and seating depths and was only getting groups in .750-.800 at best. After stumbling onto the differences in bullet weights in the same lot I finally realized I have to spend more time in matching up the components if I want to tighten up the groups. Yesterday, I finished sorting my brass by weight but realized last night that I screwed up and didn't trim to size before weighing them. After I reweigh, I'll get some powder dumped in the cases and seat some bullets. I'll be using 32 gr. lead-free Noslers in Norma cases with a Rem. 7-1/2 stuffed in the little hole. (cleaned and flash hole uniformed of course) Then it's off to the range if it isn't flooded and see if all this prep changes anything. Sure hope it does or my shooting skills are going to be questioned. Of course, it could be the gun and I need to build another! My .204 is on an AR platform with a 24" Shilen barrel and I see the target with a Vortex 6.5-20 scope. I generally use a bi-pod up front and homemade bean bags for the rear. My only concern with this rifle is I can't do much about seating bullets out to the lands because I have a magazine to deal with. Guess I could single load and eliminate the magazine but will see what happens with matching components first. I don't want to change to many things at first so I can see if this makes a difference. I'll keep you posted on the range results when I get out there. Thanks for all the help and advice along the way. Randy.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Another consideration is to always be on the alert for the dreaded carbon ring. Some powders, like Reliant RL-10X, can build up just past the chamber and wreak havoc on your groups. It's very hard to detect, but as a 204 Ruger enthusiast you should know the signs and investigate whenever you can't explain why you are seeing so many fliers. It can even make you think that your barrel is shot out.

Soak a patch in bore cleaner, not copper remover. The rings are predominately hardened powder soot, not copper fouling. Use your cleaning rod to push it just past the chamber and then let it sit there for a couple of hours. Then fish it out and look at it. If it turned black there's a high probability you have a carbon ring built up in your bore. It's that area at the front of your chamber and throat that your bullets jump to the lands and a little further. The best way to get rid of it is to scrub with bore paste. A borescope helps if you're so lucky as to have one. You may not notice it with regular cleaning techniques because it's hard as porcelain and doesn't show up on your patches that just skim across it.

Just before you shoot for score, foul the barrel with several of those rounds that you aren't going to compete with. When your rifle starts grouping the way it should, set your competition target out and commence firing for score. We have had members in the past that used coated bullets with success, so that's another option you might want to investigate.
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

Been reading the posts here about getting your loads ready. Sounds interesting. So jealous of you guys being able to reload for your .204's. Here in Rep. of Ireland we are not allowed to reload any ammo apart from a select few who shoot F Class. They also have to be a member & do it at the only range in the country authorised to do it. I'll b using "factory" loads eg Hornady, Remy Accutip or Federal Premium.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bunny Shooter.. Don't know if you can get it or not, but many of the 204's shoot the Hornady 45 grain Sp, factory custom load, very well, you might try some of it and see if your rifle groups it well. Could help you win hopefully. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

bunny shooter wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 pm Been reading the posts here about getting your loads ready. Sounds interesting. So jealous of you guys being able to reload for your .204's. Here in Rep. of Ireland we are not allowed to reload any ammo apart from a select few who shoot F Class. They also have to be a member & do it at the only range in the country authorised to do it. I'll b using "factory" loads eg Hornady, Remy Accutip or Federal Premium.
Roll your cartridges across a level table and watch the tip of the bullet. If it wobbles, toss it aside and move on to the next one. Total Indicated Runout TIR (wobble) is a known group killer.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Just for the sake of trying to help. A lot of 204s will NOT shoot 45 grainers very well, especially from a 1:12 twist. For competitions, I always prefer a flat based 32-35 gr bullet in a 1:12 twist barrel. Bergers are my absolute favorites. At 100 yards, flat based bullets have a slight edge. Can you use a meplat trimmer?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I agree skipper and for the competition I use the same flat base 32's. But I was just mentioning to him that since he could only use factory ammo, at least give them a shot ( pun intended) in his rifle, you never know. I hope he can find a really good factory load to use in the upcoming fun. Bill K
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Man, that would suck not being able to reload! At least here in the commie state of Ca. it's one area they have left alone-so far!. Sorry you can't enjoy reloading your own bullets Bunny Shooter but hope you'll join us in this year's 5 shot challenge. Randy.
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

skipper wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 pm Roll your cartridges across a level table and watch the tip of the bullet. If it wobbles, toss it aside and move on to the next one. Total Indicated Runout TIR (wobble) is a known group killer.
Thanks I'll do that :wtg:
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

randyman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 pm Man, that would suck not being able to reload! At least here in the commie state of Ca. it's one area they have left alone-so far!. Sorry you can't enjoy reloading your own bullets Bunny Shooter but hope you'll join us in this year's 5 shot challenge. Randy.
It's a pain alright. I'll be joining in. Great excuse to shoot a few rounds at the range.
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

Bill K wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:02 pm Bunny Shooter.. Don't know if you can get it or not, but many of the 204's shoot the Hornady 45 grain Sp, factory custom load, very well, you might try some of it and see if your rifle groups it well. Could help you win hopefully. Bill K
Had a Remy LVSF (1 in 12") which was brutal with 40 grain ammo. I rebarreled with a 1 in 10" barrel and it's now shooting both 32 & 40 brilliantly. Must try 45's.
bunny shooter

Post by bunny shooter »

skipper wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:52 pm Just for the sake of trying to help. A lot of 204s will NOT shoot 45 grainers very well, especially from a 1:12 twist. For competitions, I always prefer a flat based 32-35 gr bullet in a 1:12 twist barrel. Bergers are my absolute favorites. At 100 yards, flat based bullets have a slight edge. Can you use a meplat trimmer?
Asking me?

No idea what that is but I'm gonna have a "Google"of it.