And The Winner Is - 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

And The Winner Is - 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge

Post by skipper »

I made one last trip to the mailbox this morning just to be sure that everyone had ample opportunity to get a target back to me. Okay, let's go through the statistics before announcing the winners. There were 12 members entered into this year's competition. Two (2) were international entrants. All but one target was returned, thank you very much!!

THIS YEARS WINNER HAS TAKEN HIS PLACE AS THE NEW ALL-TIME WINNER!!!

1st Place and Grand Champion of the 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge
BillK has turned in the most incredible target I have scored to date with a whopping 0.107 inches Center to Center

2nd Place and Runner-Up of the 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge
Second place also went to BillK with another fine group measuring 0.252 inches Center to Center

3rd Place Winner of the 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge
Third place was just 2 thousandths over the second place group. Triggerfingers scored a very respectable 0.254 inches Center to Center

Congratulations Winners!!! Let's see some posts of the winning weapons, shooting tips, reloading advice, etc.

ALL GROUPS were scored with On Target group calculator application. I had to measure second and third place groups three times to be sure since they were so close. You guys and gals just have to see the winning group for yourselves. I was dumbfounded when I opened the envelope. I almost couldn't keep it to myself any longer.

THATS FIVE SHOTS, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? THATS NOT EVEN MENTIONING THAT THE CENTER OF THE BULLS EYE IS ONLY AS BIG AS A DIME @ 100 YARDS. INCREDIBLE!!!!
2019 Winner BillK 0.107 in CTC.jpg
2019 Winner BillK 0.107 in CTC.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 21460 times
Other entrants in order of registration:
skipper
521dvx
WesF
Randyman
terrace
Blue51
Hoppy
Irishgun
ddwaite
Hondo83

Thank You for participating in this year's event. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You gained my respect simply by your participation.

PS One of the members was kind enough to stuff a $10 bill in with his target. Thanks, sincerely! I get a big kick out of doing this just for fun, please keep your money.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: And The Winner Is - 2019 Five-N-Dime Challenge

Post by Bill K »

First THANK YOU Skipper for all your work and effort to put this on and all the work required.
Second.. darn I knew that one group was a good and unbelievable one, but I thought someone would beat me out, surely.
No wonder many of us like the 204 Ruger so much, it is a amazing, accurate and fun caliber to shoot. Bill K :)

( If anyone of you would like to see if this load, I have, would give you better grouping, you might see or give it a shot-pun intended.. 29.4 grains of CFE 223 under the 32 grain Nosler lead free bullet, and I seat them with a OAL in my rifle at 2.351 )
521dvx
.204 Ruger Guns: #1Savage 12LRPV , Ruger #1 , Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by 521dvx »

Thanks Skipper, Congratulations BillK
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

I also want to thank Skipper for all the effort and hard work that went into this years competition. It would not have happened without you.
It does not get closer than .002”!!! Congratulations to BillK for first and second place....well done sir.
As to my rifle, it is a Cooper 21 in 204 Ruger 24” barrel and shooting 32 grain Sierra BlitzKings.
I had a fantastic time shooting and competing in this contest and can’t wait til next year.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

well done Bill K and triggerfingers - excellent results from some serious skills and experimentation. Also congrats to all others who had a go and to Skipper for running the event. Hope to have another go and get some targets looking like the one above!!
Have just loaded up some 32 SBK loads with different charges- first time 32's as I have only been playing with 39's so far - will shoot these soon and see how they perform..............

Cheers to all

Hoppy
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Gentlemen.. It is always fun to shoot in Skipper's tourney.. But I shocked myself this year, with my results. The 204 R is just another reason so many of us love it and our 20 calibers. They just shoot so nice. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

He's being modest folks. When group size is the only consideration for winning, most people don't even care where their groups are in relation to the center of the bull's eye. Bill K's groups are dead center of the bull's eye and one ragged hole. NOW THAT'S JUST IMPRESSIVE!!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Just for record Skipper, I took three shots,( my fouling shots) with this load first on a copy of the target and dialed the scope to the dead center of the target at my 100 yrd range and off the bench and all.
Then fired the three score targets in a slow manner and in the order that I numbered them on the official target that you had.
Even then I shocked myself when I saw those groups appearing, on target and in the scope. Bill K :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Did you use bipod and rear bag?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Harris bipod on front and my larger sand bag on the rear. Good solid rest and hold on bench at my club's range. One good concrete bench there and early in the morning, no one else around or bothering a person. Bill K :)
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Wow! Congrats Bill-that's a remarkable target! Also, thanks Skipper for handling all the details for this year's shoot-well done! Will the rest of us see how we placed in the overall grouping? I wouldn't care if I was in last place and was listed as such. Randy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Now then, that's some NICE SHOOTING there, Bill! Way to go buddy! :D

No wonder the all the sage rats there fear you! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Just another reason Rick, that I am really liking the 20 cal's more and more. 204R on down into the 20 SCC or 20-223ai. And the 17 caliber's are fun also. My two 204 Rugers, both shoot super. Bill K :)
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

The more I shot the 20’s, the more I like them. What is even better is all the super helpful people here more than willing to share their knowledge with everyone.
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Wow is all I can say. I have only got 50 rounds through mine so far...and waiting for social distancing relaxation to get back to the range. This is a 10 shot string I shot with factory Hornady loads gathering brass. They may have been Dogtown (Norma) factory as I did not mark my target? Either way, both were 32 gr. cup and core bullets.

I just loaded up 60 rounds with different bullet/powder combinations and am itching to get to the range to try them out. I was contemplating setting up a home range as I can easily shoot up to 150 yards and if I can come up with an elevated platform I can go out to 180. After looking at everything I would need to do to set up a home range...I am discouraged and don't think I can pull it off. I have about 300 yards of thick trees behind what would be my shooting area, but have come to the conclusion that ricochets are too much of a (however unlikely) problem. I could shoot (behind my target) into a 55 gallon barrel filled with soil/sand behind the target. I live in an unincorporated area of the County so shooting is allowed, but I do have to think of my neighbors...and my wife is not thrilled about the idea. Haha

I also attached my possible shooting area. I can shoot underneath all the trees shown on the grassy part of the property. No matter what I do, I will be shooting past my chicken coop. I hope they can get used to it. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Shooting Area.jpg
Shooting Area.jpg (290.58 KiB) Viewed 14166 times
On Target 204 Ruger.jpg
On Target 204 Ruger.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 14166 times