The Challenge Begins!

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: The Challenge Begins!

Post by Bill K »

I would say Skipper is listing them as they come in, at this point in time. :)
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I'm still working on it. My last range time my FIL got attacked by dogs on his morning walk.

I was able to shoot some, but none that I was happy with. I'll try later this week (I hope).

I was able to pick up some Pro Varmint to try with my 32 gr. VMax, 39 gr. BK and 32 gr. Varmageddon. Wish me luck.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Just wanted to remind everyone of what the original rules said about returning your targets. And I quote "*Targets must be in my hands by October 1st to be eligible to win." I don't want to have to hold up the results past October the first. Postmarks don't count.

This is September and it's time to get shootin' and mailin'.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

Hi Skipper -still have not seen a target arrive here in Aus - too late now but thanks for the effort in including me - happy to have a go if I get the target but will not be able to get it back before deadline - If I do I will post up a photo for comparison
Thanks and best wishes to all other competitors
cheers

Hoppy
jwsmith1959

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I promise to get my target in. I hate that I've been so late, but a bunch of crap has happened in late July and August. I think I'll make it to butt in Houston next week unless they have been flooded. I want to do some 300+ yard shooting with my 308 too, so can maybe kill more birds.

Good luck to everyone.
skipper

Post by skipper »

COVID-19, the Delta variant, has hit very close to home recently. One of my kids has it, another is getting over it and everyone around Houston is sitting on pins and needles. One day it's NO mask mandates and the next schools are reversing their decisions. I'm still going to announce winners on October 1st as promised. Not a lot of targets are being returned and I fully understand. Another of my kids is a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer stationed in New Orleans. He had to evacuate to Alabama for about a week thanks to Ida and is now picking up pieces of his home. Thank God he retires in December. This year is going to be another for the records. Stay safe!!!

Did I say I had a kid retiring??
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

It will be a record year, with a lot of damage for many folks all over the old USA. Floods, etc. central/south and the fires out west. Not a good year for many of us.
Stay safe Skipper and hopefully all you family member to likewise. :)
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

It's been a busy Summer for us as well but all in all I think were doing pretty good. Planning to shoot my target next week and get it in the mail. R!
jwsmith1959

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Put my target in the mail today. Since Skipper is ~60 miles away, I hope that USPS gets it to him by the end of the week. I know it is not anywhere near the top, but have to say I am happy with it (finally). 10 Ring in Houston got in some CFE 223 and it was the magic bullet (so to speak). My last practice target was actually a smaller group (I measured it at 0.27") but not exactly centered. My official target is more centered, but a bit bigger. I'll wait to see what Skipper measures it.

Sorry about your COVID issues Skipper! I actually got my booster last Thursday...although not immune-compromised, I have some peripheral artery issues that COVID seems to exacerbate, so my PCP put in the order for me to get the booster. After doing some reading, I may have been premature, but I don't think any of us will know the exact science for another few years.

Good luck to everyone!
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I sent 2 targets back today-one for me and one from my BIL. No need to get out the calipers, a tape measure will do for my target. We procrastinated a little too long and had to shoot this morning with a bit of a breeze. My first 2 shots were one hole-after that they scattered all over. At 6:50 this morning all six of the shooting benches at the range were taken so we had to wait till one opened up which was right as the sun came up over my target stand. We later realized that deer season opens this weekend and all the other procrastinators were there sighting in their rifles. Oh well, there's always next year! Randy.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

I'm in the same boat as Skipper. COVID-19 has struck around here! I'm hoping I can still get to the range in time to shoot my target and get in returned to Skipper by 1 October. I procrastinated way too long and now I'm not sure I can make it down to the 100 yard target line and back to the bench without running out of breath and needing to take a nap. We'll see how things go. Good luck to all who have been able to get their shooting in and targets returned!
WesF
Shoot straight & often.
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I feel your pain Wes! Luckily I got to the range to shoot my target before catching covid. Long recovery time for that bug!
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
skipper

Post by skipper »

I have the following targets:

BillK
SecretCode
trigger fingers
Hozz57
521DVX
jwsmith1959
blue51

I plan to make one last trip to the "box" on the 30th after closing time. The very next day, October 1, 2021 I have to return the key and post scores. It's about time to have a cold one and sit back for the results. Good luck!!!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I sure hope more than that, get there targets into the mail and into your hands by 10-1-2021, so we have a fuller group competing in the scoring. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

WOW!!! :eek:

I just completed scoring the targets I have on hand. This is the closest contest by far with the top three being separated by only six one hundredths of an inch. Thats 0.06 difference. I had to increase the magnification of the targets to input shot holes four times normal. There is one target that I had to call a "possible" on. In the Marine Corps, a possible was when there wasn't any clear way to confirm the number of shot holes. However, the shot hole group was large enough for a bullet to pass through without making contact with the paper. I'm going to post pictures of the top three targets so everyone can see for themselves. You never know, there's still time for an upset.

:not:

You guys are killing it!!!