The Challenge Begins!

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Re: The Challenge Begins!

Post by SecretCode »

Well I finally was able to squeeze in a couple hrs to shoot my target. Spoiler Alert it won't win! That's just fine with me. I had fun, it's been absurdly dry and hot this summer as most of you guys are experiencing the same thing weather wise. This morning was very nice with it being 65 degrees @ 0615 thanks to the storm system that rolled through last night and gave up a much needed .5" of rain. The humidity finally hit us with the heat a couple weeks ago. So I loaded up and hit the road.

I'm glad I was able to complete and return my target this year. Super busy and had to host some family that we had for a funeral that was unexpected.

Thanks again Skipper for dealing with so many entrants.
Last edited by SecretCode on Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Shot my official target the other morning, 0645 or about, no wind, no one else at the Club Range and sent it off too Skipper, for his scoring. Looked pretty good to me, but then again I am bias. :D :D Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Skipper, are many targets showing up yet ? Don't post the score on them yet, so as to not scare some, if they look really good. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Not many yet. It's still early. No teasers this year. You'll just have to wait till the end. I will say that if all the targets are returned before Oct 1st, I'll be posting the results early.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds good Skipper: And a big Thank You again for all you are doing. :D
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I think I will make my first trip to the range on Friday. Rain plus throwing a belt on my mower complicated things. Finally got the belt replaced and was welcomed with 8 acres of very high grass that had to be taken care of. I'm doing some load work ups and won't have my "official" target shot for a bit. I am excited and doubt I will finish high, but am super glad for this as it relaxes me and I'm due for some relaxation. :D
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I have a couple of things I need to communicate:

1) Badlands target was returned today as undeliverable. My postman and I just couldn't believe that so we looked up the address ourselves. We found it without any trouble. I resent the target Priority Mail service. Hopefully it gets to you without further delay.

2) Check the return address, please. One target had the wrong box number on it. It should be Box 233.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Post by triggerfingers »

Well yesterday morning I went out to shoot my target on the calmest day that has presented itself in a while. Sadly, I broke the sacred rule of how to shoot a perfect five shot group and didn’t stop at four… Lol. The first four were nearly a perfect one hole group and the fifth shot dropped about a quarter of an inch, oh well. I will get the target mailed off today and will try again next year.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TF: That's what we refer to as "The Fifth Shot Terror". And for good reason as you found out.

The absolute best five shot groups have been destroyed over the decades by.......that fifth shot! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

It sure seems that way often.. Frustrating sometimes, for sure. The little grimlin.. :twisted: I know my fifth shot was a little off, but still touched the other four, in the group I sent to Skipper. :D
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

What about the "first shot Terror"! First shot all by itself with the next four in one hole.
Went to Rio Salado shooting range here in Mesa Arizona after work on a rare mid 90s day. Took a while to get the feel of my XR100, but I think that I didn't embarrass myself.
204 Practice.jpg
204 Practice.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 10633 times
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Put the #5 group together and it should be a winner. first or last shot, can sure rear up a bite you, or one in between. ;)
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

LOL...if only it was that easy.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I was able to get to the range and fire off some test loads. I like 10 shot groups for testing. I think I am eliminating the 39 gr. BK bullets. I shot some 32 gr. Varmageddon and they show some promise. While at the range, I got a text from my wife that her Dad had been attacked by dogs during his morning walk. He got bitten quite badly and required many stitches and three days in the hospital. I walk with him some mornings, and felt bad I wasn't there, but left early so I could make a full day at the range. Alas, that didn't happen and I cut my session short.

Here are a couple of photos. I started resizing cases yesterday and the expander ball stripped off the zip spindle on my resizing die. DO NOT ever buy Hornady Custom Grade dies. They are pure junk in my opinion. I am going to buy a separate resizing die pretty quick. Looking forward for more testing soon. Been frustrating (but fun) so far.

Oh...and my scope was having some bad parallax issues so I swapped it out, so will have to start from scratch sighting it in.
Attachments
204 Ruger Range.jpg
204 Ruger Range.jpg (160.85 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
204 assorted.jpg
204 assorted.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Nice looking range you have there. Good start on the grouping, but it will get better on and for you, for sure.
I use Hornady's custom dies and have nothing but good too say about them. I guess we each have a opinion, for sure.
Nice looking rifle and set up also, you have there. :D