The Challenge Begins!

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Re: The Challenge Begins!

Post by jwsmith1959 »

I wished I had some CFE 223 or Pro Varmint, BUT that just gives me another two powders to fool with. Haha

I have quite a few primed cases, so I should be able to wait until my new sizing die comes in.

I'm glad you have had good luck with the Hornady Custom Dies, but I've had two failures in a year with them. Maybe it is just a problem with a cerain lot. From now on, I will be staying with RCBS and Forster. Lee has never given me an issue either. JMHO.

I hope to get to the range on Saturday when my wife is home. I know 0.90" won't even be worth a look-see.

Good luck to all the competitors.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Just by chance, when you say two failures, is it the zip rod slipping ? My first set did that, but I learned to tighten that nut tight and have never had a issue since.
I also have and use, some oldies i.e. C&H 30-06, the die set I started with in about 1953, when I started reloading. But since then I have bought and used RCBS, Redding, Lee, Hornady and Whidden dies. Each as a purpose and they all work and do the job they are intended too do.
If you find and go with some CFE 223, I believe you will find you will start using more of it in a lot of your firearms. Good FPS and accuracy and better cleaning is what I like about it and use in from 223 up to the 375's, about 80 % of the time now. :) It is the only powder I use in my 204 R. in and around the 29.0 grain plus (carefully) and 32 grain bullets is the best and most accurate in my rifle. :D
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I never could get 32gr bullets to print better than 3/4" on my Rem XR100 or my Savage model 12FV. Best results with 39gr Sierra BKs over Benchmark or REL10X. I still had about 400 rounds left over from 2010 loaded with REL10X that seemed plenty accurate when I do my part.
I use Redding dies for my .204.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

This is what my 204R does with them and the load, I use. I use Hornady die. Last years shoot and my target. :D
102_7338.JPG
102_7338.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 12214 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The man has bragging rights, for sure. :hail:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My mistake Skipper, this was the target from two years ago. But my point in showing it, was to show how the 32 grain bullet with CFE 223 and the right combo, is a fine set up for groups. Or at least in my 204 R. :)
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Can't argue with that target!!!
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Bill K wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:30 pm Just by chance, when you say two failures, is it the zip rod slipping ? My first set did that, but I learned to tighten that nut tight and have never had a issue since.
I also have and use, some oldies i.e. C&H 30-06, the die set I started with in about 1953, when I started reloading. But since then I have bought and used RCBS, Redding, Lee, Hornady and Whidden dies. Each as a purpose and they all work and do the job they are intended too do.
If you find and go with some CFE 223, I believe you will find you will start using more of it in a lot of your firearms. Good FPS and accuracy and better cleaning is what I like about it and use in from 223 up to the 375's, about 80 % of the time now. :) It is the only powder I use in my 204 R. in and around the 29.0 grain plus (carefully) and 32 grain bullets is the best and most accurate in my rifle. :D
Things are looking up!! Got an email from one of my local places in NW Houston (only and hour and 1/2 away), that they have some Pro Varmint and 10X in stock. They also allow a 200 primer purchase with $50 in store spent. Not a problem. I will go with the Magnum CCI's as they did best with the the VV powder. I have 60 BR#4 and about 150 CCI regular SR. I'm tied up today, but will be there tomorrow at opening. Their Hodgdon restocking has been dismal, so no CFE 223, but I will take what I can get at this point.

To answer your question about the Hornady dies Bill K, I had an issue with the Zip Spindle slipping right at first, but fixed that within 10 rounds. The last two failures have been the expander ball stripping off the spindle, and a bent decapping pin. I bought a 10 pack of decapping pins and will never use them up in my lifetime. The stripping of the expander is troubling. I lube the inside of each neck when resizing even though the 204 brass seems to be very thin in that area. I think maybe they had a bad batch of the spindles or the expanders, or the neck sizes very small. I load for numerous cartridges for close to 45 years and have never had a problem with most of the die sets I own. I do have a set of Herter's dies in 270 that will stick a case no matter what lube is used. They sit in my shelf of shame. :D They are also over 55 years old and from what I have read were chrome plated which caused that issue.

I really miss the old Herter's catalogs!! My Dad bought quite a few things from them and I loved reading the dialog for each item.

I have 50 trimmed and primed Hornady cases and 50 R-P sized and trimmed ready to go, so missing the Hornady die parts is not a huge deal. I won't be able to get to the range until at least Saturday as I need to be somewhat around for my Wife's Dad in case he needs something. He is getting around very well considering the circumstances.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I see what you are saying the issues you had. So far nothing like that with me, except for, at first, not tightening the zip nut.

Boy Herter's, yes I miss that also. I still have a Herter's heavy, heavy like a tank built, double ram press that I have had for at least 60 yrs. still going strong, along with my other presses, RCBS rock chucker and the first press I bought back in around 1953, a C-press C&H, plus a couple sets of the C&H dies, at that time. I guess I am as old as dirt.. :D

Do you remember their Wasp waist bullets ? Used them also, not bad bullet either..
skipper

Post by skipper »

The targets are starting to come in now. I have received targets from the following members:

Bill K
triggerfingers
SecretCode
hozz57

Your targets are safely back in my possession.

BTW my lips are sealed. :not:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank You Skipper, And the fun begins. :D :D
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

Hi Skipper - haven't got my target yet down here in oz - prbably delayed due to less international traffic - hopefully get enough time to have a crack and get it back to you

cheers Hoppy
skipper

Post by skipper »

Wow, that's sad. I hope it gets to you in time.
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

:shock: Last on the list...I hope that's not some kind of omen. :lol:
521dvx
.204 Ruger Guns: #1Savage 12LRPV , Ruger #1 , Ruger Hawkeye Predator

Post by 521dvx »

I am returning my target today. Not good.