Summer of 2021 Challenge Winners Circle

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
SerenityNetworks
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: Summer of 2021 Challenge Winners Circle

Post by SerenityNetworks »

As others have said, thank you Skipper for putting this on. And cudos to the winners. Those are awesome groups.

Yet I'm quite happy with my 7th place. I hadn't pulled out a rifle in months and my CZ527 in nearly a year. I shot Hornady factory loads (45 gr). Maybe some day I'll do some reloading and achieve that elusive ragged one hole group.

Skipper, I'll PM you. I'm curious how I scored. But you are more than welcome to put my score in the post above. Others may be curious how others in the didn't-have-a-chance group performed. Actually, I'd be interested in seeing all the scores, what rifles, scopes, ammo, and other setup information everyone used.

Thanks again,
Andrew
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I shoot a Remington XR100, pillar and glass bedded with a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25X50 scope. Ammunition was 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings over Rel. 15 in Remington brass. Label on the box said I had hand loaded them in October of 2010.
The barrel is a bit shot out due to me thinking I had to hit 4000 FPS with every shot. I found that when I backed off the velocity my groups went from the .75 inch ballpark down to consistent sub .4 inch groups.
I use a Caldwell Rock front rest and a Protektor Bunny ears back rest.
I like to shoot for score at Rio Salado Sportsman's club shooting range in Mesa Arizona because of their concrete benches.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Mine is a savage axis action, small shank, with a 24 in SS take off barrel, from a Model 12, in a Boyd's stock. Shot from a solid bench, with bipod on front and sand bag on rear. 32 grain LF Nosler bullet over a charge of CFE 223, a little over 29.0 grains ( In my rifle, you should start lower and work up, if you go this route)
I shoot at my local gun club/private range, usually starting around 0600 hrs, before anyone else shows up or a wind may come up. I shoot slow and easy, taking plenty of time between shots. The wife will come along and is the only witness I have, thus far.
Did in the past have a shooting buddy, we would shoot together for score (Varmint Shooter) but he moved to Colo last year on me, so now I shoot alone. :D
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Shooting alone sure hasn't hurt your groups none Bill!!
For these competitions, I always have a range officer sign the back of the target as witness.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

At the times I go to my club range, there is no one else around.. It is a small group of members and other than some set times, for CMP, SASS, Trap/Clay shooter events, it is open to members with a code for the gate lock to come and go.
:)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I sent PMs to several members. Please check your Private Messages.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Skipper for that information.. Yes a cut off time/date appears that it will have too be used in the future. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I feel an obligation to the forum to let you know there was an entry received late after the competition. I have already talked to the member and out of respect will leave them unnamed. They can speak for themselves if they deem necessary.

The point is that the group was good enough to have threatened the outcome. This member can shoot very well. Being honest it would just not have affected the announced winners. FOLKS, Members, friends, don't wait so long to mail your targets back. One of our targets never did make it to Australia until it was way too late. The Winner, Bill K, shot his target and returned it within the same month he got it, July. It truly hurt me to have to go pick up an envelope, after the fact, and find out it was not only postmarked prior to the deadline and a potential winner but someone was denied recognition. It wasn't in my box the day I posted the winners but that doesn't matter much now.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Skipper, it's becoming more & more difficult to depend on the USPS! Some of us just suffer from chronic procrastination. Hopefully those of us who procrastinated learned a valuable lesson.
Shoot straight & often.