2022 Ghost Bullseye 5 Shot Challenge WINNERS CIRCLE

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

2022 Ghost Bullseye 5 Shot Challenge WINNERS CIRCLE

Post by skipper »

Attention Ladies and Gentlemen, (drum roll, please) :music3: it's time to announce this year's winners!!!

In 1st Place with a group size of 0.496 inches Center to Center is:

Bill K

In 2nd place with a group size of 0.661 inches Center to Center is:

Blue51

In 3rd Place with a group size of 0.916 inches Center to Center is:

Irishgun

Congratulations to ALL the winners. :trophy: The target was exceptionally hard to see at 100 yards this year.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 2022 Ghost Bullseye 5 Shot Challenge WINNERS CIRCLE

Post by Bill K »

Darn Skipper: I never in the world believed my group on that target would even place. With the pulled shot and all.
This target was a challenge for sure, but I loved it. Thanks again for all your time, effort and work to pull another good shoot off, this year.
Looking forward to next year, if I am still kicking the ground above it. Thank you. Bill K :D

( How many shooters finally got their targets in for scoring, if you don't mind given the number out ? )
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I don't know how any of you could see it at all. I was using a 4x12 redfield revolution on it and really struggled. I am curouis to know what size glass everyone used for this target. That's the toughest 300 yard target I ever shot at. I guess the one thing good I could say is that all 5 of my shots were on the body of the rat...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm surprised that no one else figured out the simplest way to shoot that particular target. I aimed at the top right corner of the target and dialed in 18 clicks left and 22 clicks down. That placed my group on the rat while I lined my crosshairs on the top and right side of the target.
Point Of Aim.jpg
Point Of Aim.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 21028 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

What I did, was to zero in on the white outline of the nose area, then I clicked up one click and tried holding on the view of the nose. And it worked pretty well, even tho still hard to keep on at the 100 yrd mark.
Did pretty well, with the exception of the one I either pulled some, or slide off the nose with that fifth shot. I did open my group up, but worked for me as too trying to see that evil rat out there.
Had my scope set on the 12x, as I usually shoot all my varmints set at 10 to 12x . I guess it panned out, for me, even tho I thought it would not hold up with other shooters. :)
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Nope, like a dummy I used my field loads and aimed at the rat. No scope adjustment
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
blue51
.204 Ruger Guns: savage mod 12 with criterian 26" barrel every thing else fac

Post by blue51 »

For me when I looked at the target through the scope I could kind of see a white triangle under the big mouses eye and I just aimed for the apex. The scope is an older leupold vari-x- 3, 4,5-14. So if you think my vision is a little off we won't even talk about my hearing.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Often the last year or so, my hearing is so bad, I really miss a lot of words, then someone is talking around or too me. :) Have some aids, but hate them and almost never use them. :eek:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Bill ole boy, you may be old and not hear well, but now we all know you can REALLY shoot! :eek:

Sincere congratulations on winning this year's challenge....good job! We also know now why there's a diminishing supply of squirrels and chucks in your neck-o-the woods. You're doing your job, and doing it quite well. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick. I have been shooting since I was 8 yrs old with my Dad and Uncle, first real kill, back then was a black bear, since then I have hunted ( probably like you) each and every year for deer, bear and elk mostly. A few Pronghorn and then some big bear, moose and Dall sheep in Alaska.
Also shot on various pistol teams, when in LE, Firearms instructor ( first ever firearms instructor class at the L.A. police academy, back in 64 ) then taught various PD and SO officers over the years. And I retired from LE in 87.
Also used to shoot high power rifle, when we used 30-06 in Springfields and Garands. ( those were great times) As I aged, the out of state hunts started going down, then when I lost my last big game partner, I have not gone back for the Elk and Alaska hunts. Did make a couple fish trips to Alaska a few years back, just for old time sake, and visit a cousin in anchorage and friends in other parts of the state.
Now I shoot paper and the smaller varmints, we all like to go after so well. So I keep my guns and shooting eye/trigger in shape.. :D

But I also know you and others on the site, shoot very well and have fun, just like I try to keep doing. :)
joelw1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MKII Hawkeye Predator

Post by joelw1959 »

I'm really sorry that things turned out the way they did this year. My Wife was diagnosed with Uterine Cancer about the time the targets came in. I had also been working on the trigger on my Ruger MkII Predator. I ordered the wrong spring. Wife had Cat Scan, surgery and numerous biopsies where things came back fine so that part of the story came out well. Let's hope that things turn out better next year. I will do a fun shoot for myself with the target Skipper sent just to see. My rifle is still in pieces but hope to have it back together soon.

Congrats to those who turned in targets. Big pats on the back to all of you.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

joel: Family, especially the wife comes first and foremost. Sure hope and pray she can beat this cancer. None of it is good, but think positive and all will work out just fine.
There is, more than likely, next year to get into the shoot. Will be looking forward to your entry and also a update on the wife's progress.
joelw1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MKII Hawkeye Predator

Post by joelw1959 »

Bill.....the post surgery biopsies came back clean and we had an after appointment on the 8th. She will have to go back every six months for a bit, but her Oncologist is pretty sure that everything is good. Living where I do, I trust those people.

Thanks for the shout out.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

That's great. Good you trust and have good medical facilities.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Congratulations to Bill K, Blue51 & Irishgun! Those are some impressive groups at a virtually blank target. It's my hope that I don't pull off any mishaps prior to any future competitions. I've begun shooting trap & archery again with the encouragement of my surgeon. Once I get my head right with shooting my rifles at shorter distances I'll begin stepping back to more "respectable" ranges. It's amazing how much shortening my thumb has effected the use of my left hand! I'm now very intentional with how I grip things, unfortunately being that intentional takes up mental capacity that would be better used refining my shooting skills. On the bright side, I have a new found "need" to shoot more! Here's to incentive!
Shoot straight & often.