Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Post by skipper »

I fully intend to hold a competition this year. I already said I would and my word is what defines who I am, mostly to myself. That said, participation is what is going to determine the future of these competitions. That's not meant as a personal dig, just practicable.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Skipper, thank you for considering another "postal" shoot! It's been a couple of weeks since I've been on the site and am happy to see the activity on the site since my last visit!! That being said, I am all in with your proposed competition! As you might remember, I sustained a catastrophic injury to my left thumb & forefinger just prior to the 2022 competition. I wasn't able to hold my rifle, much less able to fire my 204R. I've since fully recovered from the injury and have been shooting my rifles and enjoying all of the shooting sports. All that "hot air" aside, I make you 2 promises! First, I will refrain from using my table saw from now until the conclusion of the competition :wall: Second, I will submit a target for this competition! I'm looking forward to competing with myself as well as other members of this forum. Hopefully the competition will peek the interest of some of the lurkers & get them involved. Thanks again for your willingness to challenge us!
Shoot straight & often.
skipper

Post by skipper »

My vision is that anyone who wants to compete can do so by simply printing out a target, shooting 5 shots on it and posting that group in the Competition Forum. That takes the time, expense and frustration out of utilizing the postal service. Scoring will require all participants, as well as our non-participating members, to evaluate each submission and come up with the winners collectively. That way, if your group doesn't stack up, so to speak, you don't need to submit anything. No one will even know you tried.

We have always abided by the Honors System in the past and I don't see how mailing out targets would change that aspect. If someone really wants to cheat, they will always find a way. I hope they can live with their conscience afterwards. In the end, the truth always comes into the light.

Any caliber will do. We are trying to be a more inclusive site. The 204 Ruger was the basis for this site 20 years ago. Since then there has been a longing for a Small Caliber Forum. This could very well be the beginning of that vision. Traffic on this site seems to be greatly influenced by internet searches that fit a specific search criteria anyhow. Come one, come all I say.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper, one question I have. You mention in your last post ( Any caliber will do) Are we not trying to stay in the smaller one's i.e. 224 and smaller ?
Or does it mean any caliber even into the larger one's i.e. any above 224 ?
I would like to see it stay at least 224 and smaller. But your choice and rules will be followed. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

I don't think we ever definitively decided what a Small Caliber was. There were some suggestions but no ultimate decision. Here's what Wikipedia says:

Small-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .32 inches or smaller.[1] It may also refer to small-bore rifle competition. The medium-bore refers to calibers with a diameter between .33 inches up to .39 inches and large-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .40 inches or larger.[2] Miniature bore refers historically to calibers of .22 inches or smaller.

Should that be the deciding factor? Point .32 inches or smaller??
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:46 pmShould that be the deciding factor? Point .32 inches or smaller??
Skipper, I don't have a dog in this fight, but .32" would include calibers like the .308/7.62 and others similar. IMHO, small caliber is the .224" bore and smaller, and I don't think that's what the term really indicates, as Wickipedia is not gun-friendly nor really the end-all in this regard.

I'd suggest considering what Accurate Shooter site and Saubier consider 'small caliber' and go from there. The .22 caliber to the .17 cal would most likely be the ticket, as that parameter has been pretty much globally accepted, but it's your shoot and you're free to do as you please in that regard. But I truly believe that 'small caliber' means small, and to me, small in regard to firearm calibers starts with the .22 caliber, in some circles the .224" bore is considered 'sub-caliber', but not generally here in the US.

Confused yet? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Along the same lines as Rick mentions. I feel we should keep small caliber, on this site for the shoot anyway, at .224 on down, which could be 12, 14, 17, 20 and .224 . But again, I will go with what you Skipper deem it, after you confer/read what the majority of those responding say.
It will be fun, no matter what any of us shoot.
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

I would like to throw my opinion into the ring as well. If the .224 diameter bullets were to be the upper limit, the competition would include the 17 HMR, 22LR, 22 magnum as well as the 22 caliber center fire rounds. All but the 22LR are capable of holding tight groups out to 100 yards. A 22LR, in the hands of an accomplished shooter is also capable of holding tight groups at 100 rounds. As RiO has said, this is your show, run it as you see fit! Just my 2 cents worth.
Shoot straight & often.
skipper

Post by skipper »

It's not my shoot, it's your (members) shoot. You (members) decide. If you want 224 - 17 caliber, so be it. I'm just the one ramrodding this effort. This competition has never been about me. I don't really care one way or the other.
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

I'll cast my vote for the .224 calibers and smaller. In the final analysis, I plan to do my best with whatever qualifies. :yeah:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I vote for 224 and smaller and centerfire. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

So now we want to exclude rimfire?? Why would we do that? Caliber is caliber not case. Bill, anything else???
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Matter not to me which way the majority vote. I just thought since it was originally a 204R site, centerfire was in order. I don't mind RF, heck I might use my 17 HMR then, it is super accurate out to 150 yrds. :D :D
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

There was a 222 match at Accurate Shooter a while back. They in turn had another that included others based off of 222/223 family so to speak.
There was no winner or loser, groups were measured and recorded. I believe there was a lot learned by many. They listed equipment and load data I believe.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Wouldn't that look good on your signature line???

First Place.png
First Place.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 492 times