Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Post by skipper »

*** Hear ye, hear ye! ***

Anyone up for a competition?? I get the feeling that a Postal Match might be a really great way to bolster board participation.

This year I was thinking of offering a competition that is not caliber specific. The center of a hole is the center of a hole, regardless of the hole size, isn't it? :duh: I have a 204 Ruger BR rifle built by none other than Speedy Gonzales of SG&Y Rifles that leads me to believe that it would stand up to most any caliber. I might like to put that notion to the test. If we could come up with a way that I could compete and it not be perceived as an unfair advantage, that would be nice.

I'm thinking that a downloadable target that each member could print out and shoot five shots would take the cost of postage out of the equation. Then scoring could be initially done by the member and checked by the collective via posting visual results everyone can see. Help me come up with the specifics for this type of venture.
  • 5 Shots (caliber of choice)
  • 100 Yards (non-negotiable)
  • Gentleman's Rules (Honors System)

What says the board?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Post by Bill K »

Sounds good Skipper, I enjoyed your " 5 on a dime" shoots, this would fill the void and maybe more would jump on board and post a target/group.

Under stan the target would be scored, center to center on group by shooter, a photo posted of it and others could also then score and check measurment, correct ?

I would like to see this come to being done. :D

( I should add, that I would have no qualms, for any reason, with you shooting in the game.
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

I too would welcome the opportunity to be publicly humbled by those with firearms capable of creating one jagged hole or something very close. My pride is not so fragile as to admit I ain't there yet, but one can aspire to greatness, can't they? :shrug: The only caveat I would offer is winter still has a firm grip on SW MT so my participation might be limited to those times when the white stuff allows me the opportunity to get to my preferred range.
skipper

Post by skipper »

MTPaul wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:14 pm The only caveat I would offer is winter still has a firm grip on SW MT so my participation might be limited to those times when the white stuff allows me the opportunity to get to my preferred range.
Never fear MTPaul, we usually wait till spring has sprung. We missed last year, but I'm ready to join in on the fun. I never participated before cause I was always scoring the groups. That presented a precarious conflict of interest of sorts. With everyone scoring, I don't see why not. We also have to be aware that there are several international entrants who have weather concerns of their own.

Bill K was the past champion for a few years running. There's the competition.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I am going with a .204 Ruger! I got one that shoots okay, I would like to try it out. We are about to get some cold weather next week...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I would be shooting either my trusty old and accurate 204 R or the 22 PPC I am working on now and it seems to be shooting very well. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

I'll have to admit that I'm also working on a new 20 caliber. Mostly waiting for parts is what I'm doing. Like my last build, I think this new rifle will be just the ticket for competition. This one will be an F Class style rather than a dedicated Bench Rest rifle. Only problem is that it probably won't be complete till after the competition is over. Drat!!

Anyhow I just wanted to encourage everyone to get in on this competition. It will probably launch in May and run for a full month. I would suggest that you start working on your pet loads and getting your scopes zeroed in at 100 yards. In the past, the tie breaker was always the smallest 5 shot group nearest to the center of the bulls eye.

We have also had past champions that were using factory rifles and bullets. Not hand loading is not necessary but there are ways to ensure that your ammo is ready for competition. One tip is to roll your ammo across a flat surface while watching the very tip of the bullet. If it wobbles, reject it from any purpose other than a fouling shot. Anyhow I digress.

More news to come. Happy preparation. :trophy:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Looking forward to this. For now all I will say is "Boots and Saddles" Ladies and Gentlemen. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:18 am I'll have to admit that I'm also working on a new 20 caliber. Mostly waiting for parts is what I'm doing. Like my last build, I think this new rifle will be just the ticket for competition. This one will be an F Class style rather than a dedicated Bench Rest rifle. Only problem is that it probably won't be complete till after the competition is over. Drat!!

Anyhow I just wanted to encourage everyone to get in on this competition. It will probably launch in May and run for a full month. I would suggest that you start working on your pet loads and getting your scopes zeroed in at 100 yards. In the past, the tie breaker was always the smallest 5 shot group nearest to the center of the bulls eye.

We have also had past champions that were using factory rifles and bullets. Not hand loading is not necessary but there are ways to ensure that your ammo is ready for competition. One tip is to roll your ammo across a flat surface while watching the very tip of the bullet. If it wobbles, reject it from any purpose other than a fouling shot. Anyhow I digress.

More news to come. Happy preparation. :trophy:
That's a good idea, cheap and easy
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

I disagree with your plan entirely. your just allowing anyone with a custom rifle to, regardless of caliber, to enter. You, yourself,
are planning on using a custom built rifle even if it is a 204R.
Go back to your first competition, one official 5 shot target, standard 204R, one official scorer, honor system in today's society
does not exist. Keep it fun for the common shooter that uses his 204R for varmints, not bench rest. Just my thoughts.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Varmint Shooter wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 amI disagree with your plan entirely. your just allowing anyone with a custom rifle to, regardless of caliber, to enter.
Well once again, this shows you can't please everyone, no matter how hard one tries.

No one is under any obligation to enter. If not liking the rules is your thing, then don't enter. If you feel it should only be open to varmint rifles only, then perhaps two classes could be considered; factory stock and custom. Some shooters shoot informal bench rest with their varmint rifles, and some dedicated BR shooters rifles never see a varmint field, but some do on occasion. How does one decern the difference?

As for the honor system being non-existent, well, that's a matter of opinion. I personally feel that dedicated shooters are by nature an honest bunch, but I've been wrong before.

Try to keep in mind, Skipper is trying to put on a fun postal shoot. No national recognition, no trophy's, just like-minded guys trying to see how their rifles and loads stack up against other forum members.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Varmint Shooter wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 am I disagree with your plan entirely. your just allowing anyone with a custom rifle to, regardless of caliber, to enter. You, yourself,
are planning on using a custom built rifle even if it is a 204R.
Go back to your first competition, one official 5 shot target, standard 204R, one official scorer, honor system in today's society
does not exist. Keep it fun for the common shooter that uses his 204R for varmints, not bench rest. Just my thoughts.
Well, here's the real conundrum. What do you consider a custom built rifle? Does that definition include light, slight or any sort of modification at all? Or does it have to be box stock factory spec? Where do we draw the line? Besides, 100 yard target shooting is the domain of the King 6mm PPC who reigns supreme. Second point, I live in suburbia on the outskirts of Houston, TX. I AM the common 204R shooter here. Paper at a range is much easier to find than open land someone is willing to let me shoot on. That's why I bird hunt so much.

I hear what you're saying and can appreciate your concerns. However there is a lot of effort in putting on a full postal shoot. I have to design targets, print said targets using some method of checking for authenticity, stuff those targets into envelopes, rent a post office box for three months, check that box almost daily towards the competition deadline, score all those targets,... You get my point don't you. Less than half of the targets I mail out get returned anyways. There is a point of diminishing returns outweighing effort. We need to find a way to have this friendly competition in a virtual environment. Online target downloading and results uploading would save everyone time and effort.

The whole point of a friendly forum wide competition is to have some fun and it also serves as a membership drive. I'm all ears to suggestions.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Okay, where's Varmint Shooter? I have thought it over and decided that, to make it fair, I'll shoot this old Remington XR 100. Box stock with a Leupold VX III 3.5-10 x 50mm scope. I may add a Harris bipod and use a rear bag. The thumb hole, rounded forearm stock on this thing doesn't lend itself to coaxial rests very well.

I've sat out of all the competitions in the past just to keep things fair. Please, let me have some fun for once. Is your rifle box stock??

Remington XR 100.jpg
Remington XR 100.jpg (129.08 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

First off, I don't ever cheat, I played on the golf team in college and never cheated and never will. I doesn't really tell you anything about where you are at.

Secondly, I don't really care if I win or not. I just like the challenge. My dad always said there is always some one with a faster car or who can whip your butt.
He was right.

Another question, where does my new 204 fall in? It is not a custom gun, but it does have a modified trigger spring and aftermarket stock. And new its an in expensive production gun at best.

Did I mention that I dont care that much about winning?

I do all of this for fun to entertain ME.

John Maynard Keynes
Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Sorry I expressed my thoughts on your plan for a competition. Have what you and all the forum members agree on. I'm out of it.