Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Post by Tom Kat »

I will go with the flow, but I am happy with what we did last time.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

"Last time" I knocked myself out for a competition that was not very well received. Let's just say the participation level was paltry at best. I'm not willing to continue going down a dead end road. You don't need this forum to go shoot groups or rats. You can do that on your own. I come here to fellowship with likeminded people. We have those who live in places that are favorable for going out into a wide expanse and shoot varmints and predators to their hearts content. Then, we have those like me that don't have that kind of luxury, even in Texas. Too crowded around the big cities. So, we head to the local range where the draw is putting another bullet in the same hole as the previous one. That's our challenge.

I did like how these competitions tended to draw us closer together. The camaraderie. I like how Rick's Annual Rat Rodeo pics allow us to live vicariously in target rich environments where we can melt our barrels during the day and wet our whistles at night. To me, this place is home. I've been here a long time and feel comfortable sharing my experiences with my Paper Puncher, as Rick calls it. Let's bring it back to life people.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I wouldn't take it personal. This forum is on life support. Hopefully this will breathe some new life into it.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

I agree with Tom Kat, in that "This forum is on life support. Hopefully this will breathe some new life into it." Not to continue beating a dead horse, but if encouraging more people to participate is one goal of this competition, along with supporting healthy camaraderie, why not have categories that allow this to happen? Perhaps there might be only a few (Varmint Hunter and myself??) who at present own and rely on factory rifles and factory ammunition, but my bet is there might be more than we think. Maybe even a few "lurkers" will join in? :?:

I will abide by the majority decision and if it is decided that only one category will exist (basically open to all manner of rifles and all manner of ammunition) then so be it. I will still participate and go into this friendly competition with both eyes open and fully expect to have my clock cleaned. My pride is not so fragile as it will require hours of therapy in order to regain some measure of self-worth. :wink:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The upcoming shoot that Skipper is presenting is going to be along the lines he chooses to do, not the majority of the shooters making suggestions and comments.
As Skipper said if someone wants to step up and put on, handle, score and work a multi competition with various styles, then step up, present your shoot and head it up and do the work to make it come to be. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Peace brethren. I intend to offer at least two classes of rifles. I always listen to your opinions and they are welcome. I'm not sure about offering classes custom tailored to suit each individual's needs though. Perhaps we could offer a handicap for various known disadvantages. I said this before and I think it bears saying again, we had a member, Hawkeye Joe, take us all to the mat with a stock '07 Savage LRPV one year. That was the year we had classes for every conceivable rifle type. Hand loads and factory ammunition as well. WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO REPEAT. I was literally mailing targets around the world. The post office loved me.

Here's a look at the signature line Winner's Badges that were emailed out to the winners of each class and overall top three winners that year. We could get back to this level of Competition if it warranted. It's hard to believe we have been having these shoots since '08.

Overall_Winner-1.jpg
Overall_Winner-1.jpg (4.49 KiB) Viewed 701 times
1st_In_Class-1-1.jpg
1st_In_Class-1-1.jpg (4.36 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I like that, no money involved (the root of all evil!) and some pride for whom ever the "winner" is. Let me know, I want to shoot. I have to do better than 1.8" group

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am waitng also TK. In fact yesterday was a little warmer ( 40 degrees) with sunshine, so I ran up to a large gravel pit and places a target with a 1/2 dot or two and played with one 20 and on 17 caliber rifle I will probably shoot with and a couple of my reloads.
Felt good and they were all holding pretty well on and in the dot. :D Hopefully more days will come like that and I can start getting out of the cabin more and below the snow line. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Its still below freezing here at night...but at least we are gaining daylight.

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I know all to well of how hard it is to run any kind of match, beeninvolved in numerous in years past.
It seems the younger crowd for the most part is more concerned with how pretty their rig is, or how fast it will shoot with little concern of accuracy or precision.
Then there are those that have good intentions and the cut off date sneaks up on them quicker than they thought (I am guilty).
Then there are the ones that try, but are afraid they won’t win or place and don’t send a target in.
Those that sign up, and don’t turn in a target, just hold up those that would or could.
I shoot against myself and no one else. 3-5 in a bug hole once does not make a rifle or the pilot an MOA shooter. Doing it demand, I know maybe 4-6 that are capable.

I will say I will try and participate, but, “don’t look for me till you see me coming”.

I honestly think a postal match is 2-3 times as hard to run as an in person match.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

If we take not too seriously and just enjoy ourselves we are much better off in the long haul. I will be waiting for skipper to fire up the shoot, give us the target/s to print, etc. then shoot one for entry and sit back and see how others do also, again for fun and peace of mind. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but only 5 members have expressed an interest in this competition.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

The same 5 from last year?

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

No, not the same. I'm talking about the ones that have expressed interest in this post.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I noted that very few have actually said they were on board and waiting for the further date and target and will actually shoot in the upcoming shoot, if it does go to press, sort of saying. I know I will shoot in it, if and when. Win, loose or draw as they say. :)