Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Small Caliber Posted Results Shoot 2024

Post by skipper »

Varmint Shooter wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm Sorry I expressed my thoughts on your plan for a competition. Have what you and all the forum members agree on. I'm out of it.
I sorry you feel that way. Please, reconsider. You had a valid point. The groups will be the tale of the tape. I'm sure we will all walk away with valuable experiences.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Varmint shooter, they had a very challenging target a few years ago. I shot a terrible group, sent it in...and resolved to do better. Skipper never mentioned how poor it was or said anything to anyone. It was a good feedback tool for me. I am sure I will do better next time. I am not really shooting against these guys, I am shooting against myself. They happen to be doing the same thing. If I could make the top 5 I did really good, these guys can all shoot.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Was that the target Skipper called "The Ghost Target" ? That was a good one. I thought I shot poorly on it, but was very surprised when Skipper said I won. I thought for sure someone would make a better group than what I did on that one.
Just hope when this up coming shoot takes place, a good number of the members will sign on and send back a target. :D
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

I'll chime in with my two cents. :twocents: I like the idea of at least two classes of rifles in this shoot-off, although it does complicate things somewhat. One a bone stock (or at least as close to bone stock as the rifle existed when it first came from the factory) and a second class of either modified or full-custom. If the main purpose of this effort is to encourage as many participants as possible, why not have at least two classes? Not to get too far off track with the main point first voiced by Skipper, but if a secondary purpose of this friendly competition is to broaden the 204R membership, why not cast as wide a net as possible, within reason of course?

Some who may consider participation may not have a modified or full custom rifle nor do they for whatever reason choose not to reload. Therefore, they are left with factory rifles and factory loaded ammunition. I see a real similarity with the drag racing community here. Not that we necessarily need as many classes as exist on an NHRA drag strip (Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, etc). Perhaps just two... Bone stock factory rifles and factory ammunition and custom/BR rifles with handloaded ammunition. :chin:
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K yessir that was a tough one to see. You figured out a good way to shoot it.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

Here are the 2022 Five Shot Extravaganza, Ghost Bulls Eye results by group size. These were the only targets returned, btw.

Bill K - 0.496
blue51 - 0.661
Irishgun - 0.916
Tom Kat - 1.828

This was the target's ghost bullseye:

Ghost bulls eye.jpg
Ghost bulls eye.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 720 times

I did blur the eyes to some degree. I thought it would be more challenging. I also remember being surprised that not anyone admitted to sighting in on the corner of the paper and adjusting windage and elevation to center the group on target.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Love the target! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rick it was a very good one. The little dime size bullseye was kind of faded into the body and made it a challenge to see at 100 yrds. But it was the best one yet, as for my opinion. I just wished more that sign on would have shot for score. That part was disappointing, I thought, with all the effort and work/time Skipper puts into doing it. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

MTPaul wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:06 am I like the idea of at least two classes of rifles in this shoot-off, although it does complicate things somewhat. One a bone stock (or at least as close to bone stock as the rifle existed when it first came from the factory) and a second class of either modified or full-custom. Perhaps just two... Bone stock factory rifles and factory ammunition and custom/BR rifles with handloaded ammunition.

MTPaul, I like the idea, however I think most members here are reloader as well. So the emphasis might need to be on the rifles alone. You might even want to compete in two different classes. Even then how would we know if someone registers in a stock class but shot a custom built/modified rifle with handloads? On the bright side, there are some tips we will be happy to share on shooting factory ammo more competitively. Mostly weighing and sorting, culling out the questionable rounds. Five very closely matched rounds is all you'll need.

Second consideration would be that if we used printable targets, everyone would be able to print out as many as they wanted. Unlimited attempts so to speak. Might prove to be very interesting. However, from past experiences with these competitions, there is the unavoidable fact that the shooter will have to pull the trigger 5 times. Until you have tried 5 shot groups in a competitive environment you don't really realize the pressure it invokes. There's something about looking down range at a nice tight 3 shots touching group and realize that the next trigger pull could potentially screw it all up. Nerve racking to say the least.

The good news is that we have a month or so before the weather warms up enough to get out and shoot. That allows us time to work out the details. Let's put on our thinking caps and brainstorm. Regardless of what we decide, there's always the potential that someone will find a way to fudge on the results. I'm willing to live with that reality. The question is, are you? My group will speak for itself. Hope it has a happy story to tell.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Like I said, I dont care if someone wont follow the rules. My honor will be intact, and I am shooting this match for ME. I dont especially care where I come in at as long as its an improvement over last time. And I think it will be.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Exactly and well said Skipper. We just have to trust each other also, and shoot for fun, more than anything else. The one to beat and top is yourself, as TK mentions.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:47 am Exactly and well said Skipper. We just have to trust each other also, and shoot for fun, more than anything else. The one to beat and top is yourself, as TK mentions.
Its the same reason I never cheated at golf. I would have no idea if I was getting any better. and in golf, you really play the course, others, and most of all, your self.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:43 pm Love the target! :eek:
I hated that target....but look forward to any challenge as a learning experience

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I thought that Ghost Target was a great one. Really made you buckle down. Maybe Skipper will have something along the same line in the upcoming shoot. :D :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

I have already developed a new target for this year. Not going to post it till necessary. You know how devious I can be. :twisted: I AM determined to make this an online type contest though. Just too much trouble for the meager participation number of the past. Separate Factory and Custom classes would tend to complicate things a bit as well. If someone else is willing to put in the works of an actual Postal type contest, I would be glad to hand over the reigns. Any takers?

If participation improves, there might be an outside chance I'll get motivated enough to go back to mailings.