how will you shoot the postal shoot

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
cracker

how will you shoot the postal shoot

Post by cracker »

Just was wondering how all involved in the postal shoot will shoot their groups. will you shoot five at target one then five at target two ect. or will you fire round one at target one, round two at target two, round three at target three, round four at target one ect. is there a rule as to how we need to put the 15 holes in the target.
I dont want to cheat but if its allowed I think I will shot round one at target one, then round two at target two, round three at target three, and round four at target one ect.
sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

Cracker, just curious as to why you would do it that way? Is there some type of performance gain or something?

Another question would be does one have to use the same ammo for all three targets? I don't know why someone would want to change but just curious if lets say someone had two loads/ bullets that are very close to each other performance wise.

walleyeman
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

cracker,

I shoot 5 at one bull and move to the next. If I feel I need to toss a sighter in then I'll shoot them as I see necessary. Normally at 100 yards I shoot my foulers at the sighter and verify scope adjustment then it's 5, 10 ,15, done!

walleyeman,

In all but the "Factory Ammo" class you can shoot whatever ammo you want at whatever bull you want. If I'm shooting to impress friends and family (and mostly myself) I'll shoot the best handcrafted ammo I can muster!

edit: late spell check.
Last edited by WrzWaldo on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

If you shot one bullet at target one and then the next at target two, by the time you got around to shooting bullet three at target one, conditions may have changed. The wind may be blowing from a different direction. I would think that you should watch the wind and shoot all five shots at the first target when the wind is the same for each shot. Then move on to target two and try to shoot all your shots when the wind is the same. Too much could change shooting a round robin. Your barrel may heat up, the wind may change, you may lose concentration, etc. It's probably best to shoot all five shots at the same target before there is a major change.

If you started shooting in a dead calm and fired two shots into a tight group but the wind started blowing after the second shot. You could aim at the sighter to see what effect the wind was having on your point of impact, adjust and go right back to the score target. Or you could sit there like I do and wait for the wind to die down. You might be sitting there for a while. Or you could wait for a day with perfect conditions and shoot then if they don't change. Or stop when they change and come back to finish another day. The choices seem endless. BUT, I will NOT be shooting a round robin.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

You'll definately be doing yourself a disservice shooting round robin. This style of group shooting is used for load development only. To compare different seating depths or powder charges etc. By shooting these tests in the round robin fashion each load variation is spread equally in a bore gathering fouling.
As Skipper said things change as you shoot. The biggest "change" I fear is bore condition. A bore gathering fouling (copper being the worse) can change POI. No need to spread that over all three targets.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

1. Clean riffle with Butch's Bore Shine.
2. Shoot 'sighters' until she tightens up (timing 60 seconds between shots after shot #1).
3. Once she tightens up (timer started to count 60 seconds at end of last shot) - let #1 rip at #1 target at the beep. Bolt will be opened, count 10 seconds THEN chamber a round - EVERY TIME! That leaves about 42 seconds to go 'BOOM'.

I will shoot all 15 shots until finished.
The barrel heating/timing is to keep everything consistent. That's how I shot my .174" group.
My barrel runs better warm.

She takes 5-6 shots to 'settle down' after cleaning. She can run 15 shots without fouling out and losing accuracy.

She has only had 100 rounds through her - not even broke in yet! :shock:
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: how will you shoot the postal shoot

Post by acloco »

(and I AM just kidding....) - With a dull pencil about .204 diameter!!!???!!!????!!!

I have a very small quantity of 35 gr Bergers on hand. I just received a box of 40 gr Bergers. Will be loading these and some 40 gr VMax's and test the waters this weekend hopefully.