Skipper goes Postal

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Skipper goes Postal

Post by skipper »

It's a done deal. My son Jaxon and I got up early this morning to go to the range. I wanted to beat the gusty conditions forecasted for this afternoon. When we got to the range I was amazed at the number of cars and golf carts. Oh, no! Oh, yes. I picked the weekend of the Texas State Shoot Sporting Clays Competition to shoot my targets. Oh, well. I'm not going to post my pictures of my groups. I'll let WrzWaldo post them if he wants to.

I will post some pictures of my son Jaxon shooting his first ever groups with the Panda. I can't believe I let him shoot it but I did. He did O.K. With a little practice, he might evolve into a real competitor. I going to let him start practicing with the XR-100 and teach him how to hand load.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Skipper goes Postal

Post by WrzWaldo »

skipper wrote:It's a done deal. My son Jaxon and I got up early this morning to go to the range. I wanted to beat the gusty conditions forecasted for this afternoon. When we got to the range I was amazed at the number of cars and golf carts. Oh, no! Oh, yes. I picked the weekend of the Texas State Shoot Sporting Clays Competition to shoot my targets. Oh, well. I'm not going to post my pictures of my groups. I'll let WrzWaldo post them if he wants to.

I will post some pictures of my son Jaxon shooting his first ever groups with the Panda. I can't believe I let him shoot it but I did. He did O.K. With a little practice, he might evolve into a real competitor. I going to let him start practicing with the XR-100 and teach him how to hand load.
Yep, looks like he has potential and has a coach/trainer that is more than capable of advancing his abilities.

I'll post a link to all targets once the scoring is done. I need to get out and shoot mine before yours get here!!

WW
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

what is the syringe in tthe first picture for? hydralic trigger puller?
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
skipper

Post by skipper »

The syringe is full of bolt grease. It comes with the action.
skipper

Post by skipper »

See the shot in the border of the square on the right target? Jaxon closed the bolt on a round and touched the trigger accidentally. The Jewell trigger will go off with the slightest touch. You should have seen the look on his face. :eek: Priceless. Lesson learned.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

:D Skipper great to see your son out with you. I realy enjoyed teaching mine,,,,, he's now 19 and in his 2nd year at Penn State.
As far as your Jewell trigger............I got behind one ..........only once.......and the expresion was pricless. I knew it was set to 2oz. and was feeling for the trigger gard and missed........shot gone down range. I'm sorry but give a clean two to three pund trigger and I'm a happy camper.
Good luck with your son and enjoy all the time you can spend with him.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

I have a Jewell trigger on my Savage Target action. It is set to around 2 oz. I will be forever grateful to Arnold Jewell for setting me up with it. There are only a few in the world. We futzed with it for 4 hours getting it to work. Savage actions are all built just slightly different and getting the trigger to work with that action requires some careful modification. That is why there will never be a Jewell trigger available for a Savage action. It works great now and feels quite a bit like my Benchrest gun.(Bat action with Jewell trigger). If you haven't met Arnold, he is a gem of a man. I am really blessed to know him.

I need to get back out to the range and try a lighter load of vv 133. I got some 40 grain bergers to try also. When is the deadline for the postal? My son has been in the hospital for the last week and a half and he's not home for at least another week. Shooting is on hold for now.
skipper

Post by skipper »

The deadline is October 1st. They have to be postmarked by then. I hope you can make it.