204um Praire Dog Postal Shoot

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
rayfromtx

Re: 204um Praire Dog Postal Shoot

Post by rayfromtx »

Well I went out just before dark and shot my target. It was harder than I expected, especially since it was too dark to see where I was hitting. The sighter and tiebreakers were easy to see but the dog was impossible. To make matters worse, I used the wrong bolt in my rifle and got a hang fire on the last shot. Just as I decided to move off the target to check it out, it went off. It didn't kill me too bad but I didn't know till I got down there. I expected to find a 2" group but it wasn't terrible, considering. Thanks for putting it together WrzWaldo.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Just back from shooting my target.First tried about 5 weeks ago,but as seen on the sighter target,the berger load i tried went all over the place.Dont know why!It was real good when i tried it before.
Still went back to my 32g V-MAX over BL-C(2),fox shooting load and tried again today.Was hoping to shoot prone(not having a bench),but as it was so wet i shot it off this old water tank,that i sometimes use.Still hit the praire dog 15 out of 15 so i suppose it could have been worse.Anyway will send the target off tomorrow so everyone can have a laugh,and many thanks to WrzWaldo for putting all this together,and giving people the opportunity to try something diffrent.

Last edited by foxwhistler on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I finally shot my PD targets this evening. I wanted to shoot tomorrow, but the predicted 30mph winds changed my plans. I wish I would have packed my spotting scope. Even with my 35 power Leupold I couldn't see my shots at 200.Only the noggin shots were slightly visible. I wasn't liking that one bit, and it was killing me not knowing.Others were at the range so walking up after every shot wasn't possible."THAT" was the hardest part!!! I guess you could say I kinda stunk it up also. I did however shoot one tiny group to redeem myself a little. Can't wait to see what's next. A rematch on Skippy would be nice, as he has me a little peeved tonight. Good show Kevin!! I'll be mailing them in the morning.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

i got my targets shot today
i think i need a new scope
with my burris blackdiamond i was having problems seeing my group on the brown and its getting a lot darker at all backgrounds :huh:
will get them in the mail tomorrow
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Well I could probably come up with a million excuses as to why I shot so badly at my P-Dog target but I wont blame my rifle. It was mainly a severe lack of trigger time and rushing to get it done before the deadline. :eew:

I WILL say that the reason I completely missed the Tiebreaker circle is because of a Sucking Vortex which was produced by a guy firing his HDR, 3 feet from me 2 miliseconds before I pulled my trigger, thus producing a leftward horizontal low preasure zone which was enough to pull my bullet off it's mark by 2". :huh: :duh: :huh:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I hate those sucking vortex's! I've been the victom of many.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Robert harrel wrote:i got my targets shot today
i think i need a new scope
with my burris blackdiamond i was having problems seeing my group on the brown and its getting a lot darker at all backgrounds :huh:
will get them in the mail tomorrow
I think we all had the same problem :| My 35 power leupold Comp wasn't any better at 200 yards. I only saw the first group in the head, And that's because they made one BIG hole. I thought sweet, and shot my other two groups. The other two weren't pretty :eew: Looks like my new status will be mop squeezin bottom dog :lol:

hozz57
I put one in the black rig on the tiebreaker with my Predator at 100 :lol: Looks to me like we all sucked..... Ya know,..... Skipper's been too quiet. :duh:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Well, do or die tomorrow. Have the ammo loaded.

Have had snow, rain, and always wind for the last 2 months.

Going to bat with my new 204. Built this using a Savage model 12 stainless single shot action (NOT an LRPV), factory Savage SS fluted 204 barrel, BVSS stock, and topped with a, new to me, Bushnell Legend in 5-15 with mildots. My N 8-32/56 Nightforce will not work with this - seems that there is 20 MOA built into the scope????
skunkriver

Post by skunkriver »

I shot the targets yesterday and got them sent off via "pony express". I made a tactical error as I should have shot the 200 yard targets first before the wind picked up and the sun came out :wall: . Those little critters certainly came alive at 200 yds. with all the mirage that was present. I think my 200 yard factory looks as if it were shot with 4 buck from a 12 gauge!! :oops:

Thanks, Kevin, for your efforts putting this together; I learn something each time we do these PSs. :idea: Carl
Make good decisions!!!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Wish me luck...heading out in 15 minutes (in the wind!) :)
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Just by the hair on my chinny chin chin I shot up my P-dog and sent it back in.
My groups were quite bad I'm sorry to say. The rats are all snickering across the country today.
I have no excuses, of that I am sure. Irregardless of that theres only one cure.
I'll buy two more barrels I'm thinking with glee. A new 204 and a 243.
The economy is slouching but I'll do my part. If I ever see a real P-dog I think I'll just fart!!!

This poetic injustice is brought to you by the Guinness brewing company and a moron with a keyboard. :hic:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco

Post by acloco »

Results in....I suck when shooting in the wind.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I just plain old suck when I'm shooting!! :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco

Post by acloco »

Whew....JUST made the post office.....not that either was worth sending in.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

WrzWaldo
Getting may returns?
From some of comments............Not to many happy campers?
The targets were great and a challenge to say the least.
I think I need to spend more time with my No. 1 for it to shoot better. But I quess thats the problem with one tooo many rifles!
Nope sorry guys and girls out there I'm not sellen any yet.
Thanks again WrzWaldo for doing the work.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"