Postal Shoot Prep

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Postal Shoot Prep

Post by skipper »

I guess you guys can put your guns back in the safe. I've got my rounds loaded and I've been practicing. I've spent a good part of this summer at the range learning how to read the wind. I guess we'll see if I learned anything. :lol:

On the serious side, what are YOU doing to get ready for the big shoot??? Anyone got any surprizes up their sleeve??? It's too quiet on the forum. No one is talking trash, yet. :eek:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Postal Shoot Prep

Post by Hotshot »

Save your rounds Skipper.

I have a new scope, a new load, a new front rest, and I set my trigger at 12 ounces. It's a good thing this postal shoot is free or I couldn't afford it.

Seriously, I practice shooting three groups at a sitting, doing all the right steps for the best results. I really analyze poor shots to try and eliminate them in the future. I know I can do the good shots most of the time, but I can't seem to do them all the time. 14 good efforts can be ruined with one poor one in this game.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I got a couple surprises up my sleeve. Shoot my .308 one time at each target, that should help :lol: Really no, I got to shoot my load some more and see if I need any adjustments. As for reading wind, I only shoot when there isn't any :D
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

I took my two 204s prairie dog hunting and there were so many dogs out there, I couldn't stop shooting. My barrels are toasted pretty good. I doubt the groups will be worth a darn now. I've been focusing on competing with my 6ppc so the 204s are just sitting in the safe licking their wounds. We'll see what I can cob together. Perhaps I can do chamber setback on one of them and get it competitive again. The other one is looking like a cross between alligator hide and a cobblestone street. Skippy just hated me up in CO. The rancher called the other day to say that he was driving past one dog town and saw white flags raised by the remaining dogs.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

skipper wrote:
On the serious side, what are YOU doing to get ready for the big shoot??? Anyone got any surprizes up their sleeve??? It's too quiet on the forum. No one is talking trash, yet. :eek:
Not sure yet :huh: I'm in the same boat as rayfromtx. Been too busy shooting my Les Baer 223 in the 300 yard prone match and my 204 Predator in the weekly 100 yard off-hand match using the old German ring targets. The off-hand is a blast to shoot. Last week I almost shot the highest 10 shot score, Two points away because of one really bad shot :wall: . Todays off-hand I'd like to forget :oops: :oops: :!:. We'll get back at it with my LRPV when my targets get here.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper

Post by skipper »

I just want to be able to get to the range before the Sporting Clays match or the deer hunters. Last year, I shot in the middle of the shotgunners. It was very hard to concentrate.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

New load and new bullet from last year. We're gunnin' for ya this year Hawkeye :lol: Have any of you recieved your targets yet?
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

No targets here. I'm using 26.6 grains of Benchmark,CCIBR4 and 35 grain Berger's with .0000 runout :!: :D I'm ready for ya :ninja: I hope :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

No trash to talk here yet. Some intermittent 204 load testing totally uncompleted but showing promise.
29.2gns of Win 748 and the 35 Bergs. Might even dip into the 36gn Gunhaus pills for a try.
I've been playing with two 6 BR's and a 1903 A3.

My latest dream is to take the old war relic to the egg shoot and woop some boys in the 100 yd sporter comp. :twisted: Now that would be fun. So far its far from competitive but I've just begun.

I do promise to do better than the P-dog shoot. :eew:

No targets either. :(

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
skipper

Post by skipper »

I haven't heard hide nor hair from WrzWaldo in some time. I wonder if he's O.K. Where are you, Kevin?

I did load development last year and then switched to VV N133 right before the shoot. That's not going to happen this year. I've been through load developing since last year. I'm ready to go for it. My barrel is still in top form and August is a month in Texas where there is little or no wind, to speak of. If I can bear the heat, this ought to be good. Ya'll (Texas term) are fixin' to feel the Lilja, Panda, Shehane, Jewell heat. :lol:

What are we going to do if something has happened to WrzWaldo???????
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

Skipper,

I found some special powder that loves Lilja barrels. I'll be sending you some in an old Prince Albert can, be sure and use it for the shoot. Don't tell Hawkeye where you got it, I'm sending him some special Savage powder in a Copenhaven tin.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Skipper,
Now that you mention it, Kevin hasn't been out here much lately. I hope all is well. When the forum was down for a while I contacted him through his coated bullets web page and order my targets through it. I wish that I could get Benchmark to shoot in my gun. It's alot easier to find in my neck of the woods. Still using VV n135 in mine but I switched to 35 gr Bergers. Shoots great at 200 yds. Haven't shot this load at 100 yet. I was using the 39 gr bk. Don't know what happened but my gun doesn't seem to like them anymore :huh: Anyway, I'll quit talking now. Good luck to all in the 2nd annual postal shoot. It sure was a blast last year.

Kurt
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

KVW wrote: I was using the 39 gr bk. Don't know what happened but my gun doesn't seem to like them anymore :huh: Anyway, I'll quit talking now. Good luck to all in the 2nd annual postal shoot. It sure was a blast last year.

Kurt

My LRPV has the same issue with the 39's. In the P-dog shoot I shot a 1/4 MOA group at 200,Then 1" MOA, Then 2" MOA :chin: :huh: :duh: . Not sure what the issue was. I thought my barrel was toast. The Hawkeye bore scope says different.

HOTSHOT
My Savage Likes Carter Hall :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

skipper

Post by skipper »

I see ya'll got the special 39 SBKs that I had sent to ya'. Kinda like the old trick golf balls that are weighted on one side. They go all over the place. I'll send you some more to shoot for the Postal Shoot. :twisted:

How fast were you driving those 39s? Weren't some of the members having problems over 3900 fps????
Hotshot

Post by Hotshot »

I think that problem was 32 SBK's at 4100 plus.

Say, did Kevin forget to tell all you guys? Send 25.00 fee to Hotshot and when I collect enough for an LRPV and a NF 8-32 everybody gets their targets. Thanks in advance.