Will you accept the challenge?

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
Bayou City Boy

Re: Will you accept the challenge?

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I could care less as I do not plan to shoot....

But, do all "standard" Savage rifle actions comes with three action screws or is this something available on only a couple of specially designed actions? That might be something to consider when deciding if the LRVP is "just another Savage".

How would a three screw Remington, single-shot action be treated, for example...?

-BCB
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

I say go with the rules we already have. Having said that, I will probably be one of those with the biggest disadvantage. I have a Ruger MKII Ultralight with a standard 3x9 scope. Its only modification is a Timney trigger. It is fairly accurate but I am sure it will not compete with factory varmint guns and especially the LRVP (consider this my official cop-out or lame excuse :D ). But it is all for fun anyway!

Good luck to all!

Brian
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I received a question about Skippy on the target. You only need to fire one shot at him. Place it right in his eye. This is only to be used as a tie breaker. The most centered shot would win a tie.

I think the jury is still out on the LRPV's. My $4,100.00 custom rifle was beat out by an LRPV at last year's shoot. It wasn't the rifles fault. It was my fault. Three groups averaged doesn't cut any class of weapon any slack. Robert Harrel's group was incredibly small, but he didn't win the Overall. You will have to be able to keep it together for three agonizing groups. That's what makes this competition so challenging.

Is it fair to pit a $1100 dollar LRPV against a $2900 Remington XB 40 in the Factory Custom class?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Skipper:

Question for you. Will you be scoring by "tightest groups" or "closest to center of target"?

The reason I ask is because I am sighted at an inch high at 100 yards. Should I zero my scope to 100 yards?

Brian
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
skipper

Post by skipper »

204Shooter

Good question. Last year the groups most centered in the bulls eye would win a tie. This time, a tie will be won by the one shot you shoot at Skippy's eye so placement of the groups on the target doesn't really matter, within reason. If you put all your groups in a manner that I can't tell them apart, I won't be able to score your target. Targets will be 11X17 in. so space will be at a premium. So, the answer is that the centering of your groups in the bulls eye doesn't matter. Now your one shot at skippy's eye will matter. And please, don't tell me later on that a shot one inch high of skippy's eye is perfectly centered because you sight in one inch high. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you have a good scope you will just have to move about 4 clicks.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

skipper wrote:.....Is it fair to pit a $1100 dollar LRPV against a $2900 Remington XB 40 in the Factory Custom class?
If dollars are the equation for classes, and using your logic, is it fair for a base priced Cooper Varminter at $1345 and a Kimber Varminter priced at $1224-$1302 to be pitted against a $2900 Remington XB 40?

The last Cooper MTV - one grade up in style and wood from the Varminter - that I bought new I paid $1050 for about six month ago. Anything above the base price of a Cooper in any model is purely aesthetic $$'s spent (better wood/checkering and custom metal work, etc.) and has nothing to do with additional accuracy.

The Cooper action is proprietary to them, just like the model 70 was to Winchester, etc. and it is not a custom action.

A Kimber is nothing but a higher priced full blown factory produced rifle... The current MSRP for a Kimber in Varmint configuration varies between $1224 and $1302. I bought one about 8 months ago new (the $1302 rifle) for $980. Again, anything above those prices with Kimber you are paying for better wood, etc. and not guaranteed improved accuracy. And their action is also proprietary to Kimber but they are far from a custom action in the normal sense of the word.

A custom action of any make/model has been significantly improved through additional exacting machining over the normal action running down the assembly line.

As a PS: I sold the Kimber as its accuracy was @ 1.5" at 100 on a good day. I've never bought a Cooper that was not an excellent shooter....

-BCB
cracker

Post by cracker »

Wow how much money is at stake here, I thought this shoot was for fun. why worry so much about what class you shoot in or who shoots what in what class. these good poeple put together a shoot along with some rules and invited everyone to join in. I think we should all thank them for a job well done. if you want to win so bad set your targets at 100 ft. instead of a 100 yrds who will know, other than you. You are the one who would have to live with cheating. now lets all get our targets hang them at 100 yrds and do the best we can putting holes in them. remember a lot of work goes into something like this and its not far to the good poeple who have worked so hard to try and change things at the last minute. if you dont think things are fair feel free to set up a shoot with your rules and then invite everyone to join you. its that simple.
good luck to all
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

cracker:

LOL....! Cheating, etc....?

Please read the first line of my first post....

Sometimes responding to facts rather than jumping to emotional conclusions keeps one from looking emotionally foolish.

-BCB

edited for spelling....
Last edited by Bayou City Boy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Bayou City Boy wrote:I could care less as I do not plan to shoot....

But, do all "standard" Savage rifle actions comes with three action screws or is this something available on only a couple of specially designed actions? That might be something to consider when deciding if the LRVP is "just another Savage".

-BCB

Thats actually a valid point BCB. Anyone shooting an LRPV must remove one screw of thier choice from the action :lol:
Who knows accuracy might improve.

I'll shoot under any rules against any gun. The results will be mine to live with.

As others have said lets keep this fun and not drive Skipper insane with a multitude of scenarios.
He's been kind enough to offer his services to allow us this oppurtunity and I see no reason to rewrite the Constitution in order to pull it off.
I'm sorry I even offered my opinions.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

I'll shoot under any rules against any gun. The results will be mine to live with.
+1 :wtg:

I've never been for putting Kimber, Coopers, and 40's in their own class. Panda, Borden, Stiller, BAT, ....yeah, those are a different breed, and are custom.

And making it a monetary thing doesn't do it justice either. I shoot competition on occasion, and I've yet to see a benchrest shooter using a $310 Weaver T36 scope complain because somebody else was using a +$2K March scope. I've also seen plenty T36's win.

Just have some fun, do the best you can, and don't fret about what someone else is shooting. Wind and other conditions will make a bigger difference in a three five shot agg than what type of equipment is used. Hop over to Saubier and look at last year's postal shoot results there. You might be surprised. And that competion is anything .20 caliber and under, to include PPC's and BR's.

Come to think of it, I think it may have been Waldo that beat me in one of the classes! :chin: Maybe I should reconsider! Nah.

Seriously folks, just enjoy...and thanks Skipper.

Mike
Factory Custom
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

Whats the point of this shoot???? I think the correct answer is organized fun! Its difficult enough to run a shoot in person never mind over long distances through the mail. I say let this shoot, like last years resemble and perpetuate the good that this site is about, the love of our 204's. It is my suggestion that as stated earlier we go with what WrzWaldo had started last year and continue with it this time round. The classes are laid out and the rules very few and simple. Lets keep it that way.

I for one will be shooting my CZ in the factory rifle/ factory ammo class and am very proud to do so. I hope that I can better my performance than last year even though I did place first in that category. I want to shoot better for better shooting principles and not win the category simply to win. I believe that we as a group feel the same. Lets get out there and shoot some paper. Good work to all who have had a hand in the continuation of this event and happy shooting. :D
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Awesome!

Thanks for moving forward with this Skipper!
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

cracker wrote:Wow how much money is at stake here, I thought this shoot was for fun. why worry so much about what class you shoot in or who shoots what in what class. these good poeple put together a shoot along with some rules and invited everyone to join in. I think we should all thank them for a job well done. if you want to win so bad set your targets at 100 ft. instead of a 100 yrds who will know, other than you. You are the one who would have to live with cheating. now lets all get our targets hang them at 100 yrds and do the best we can putting holes in them. remember a lot of work goes into something like this and its not far to the good poeple who have worked so hard to try and change things at the last minute. if you dont think things are fair feel free to set up a shoot with your rules and then invite everyone to join you. its that simple.
good luck to all
Sportingly
Cracker
Well said.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I've been out of pocket this evening visiting my folks. My dad turned 86 this weekend.

WrzWaldo - it's good to have you back. You had us all worried sick. Thank God, you're alright.

It looks like we will have to synchronize events. I'll talk to WrzWaldo off line and discuss how we will proceed. I've already gone too far to turn back now. We might just have to hold simultaneous events.

After much consideration, I think the majority of shooters just want to get out and pull the trigger so we'll just leave the classes alone. LRPV will shoot in the Factory class. If they're so good I just might have to go out and buy one. We still have to shoot three groups. That will be more of a test of the shooter than the rifle.

I will start mailing targets out as soon as Wednesday next week. The sooner you register, the longer you'll have to shoot, or should I say procrastinate. I'll plan to keep sending targets out as long as we still have people who want to register to shoot. The only catch is that they must be post marked by October 1st to be scored.

Oh Yeah, I was going to buy everyone a cup of coffee on the morning they shoot for score. :twisted: I'm competing too. :twisted:
cracker

Post by cracker »

look who's back. great to see you back wzwaldo we have not heard from you in a long time. hope all is well with you and your family.
lets burn some powder
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker