204um Challenge: Let the excuses begin!

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

204um Challenge: Let the excuses begin!

Post by Steve V »

Well, I'm taking off on vacation next weekend, so I thought I better get the shootin' done today. Had leftover ammo from pd shooting this spring, so that's what I went with (so it could be the "stale" ammo I used). The weather was nice, overcast, 65 degrees and just enough a breeze to say there was one(coming straight into my face; hey, I'm used to shooting in a cross wind! :wall: )
Anyway,I'll be shipping the targets back to Skipper this week.
By the way, guys, be sure to throw in a $ or 5 to help Skipper defray the materials and postal fees that he so generuosly paid for without asking for any compensation from us, the shooters.
Thanks a bunch, Skipper, for taking charge of this.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: 204um Challenge: Let the excuses begin!

Post by acloco »

Only one....they call me "four shot".
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Steve V

I really appreciate the offer, but save your money. This is a labor of love for me. I really enjoy this forum and am very pleased to host this little shoot. Thanks.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
cracker

Post by cracker »

The only excuse I have is the six big mugs of joe I drank. I didn't plan on shooting untill my buddy calls and says he bought three new hand guns and wanted to try them out. since the place we shoot is about 25 miles I thought may as well take the targets along. WOW I never knew what the coffee could do to a guy. I should not have shot after looking through the scope, it was hard to time the trigger pull to the beating heart. at least I only shot the factory class with the hand loads and saved the factory factory target. hope you guys can beat my groups of one inch. last year I took second this year I bet I can take First. first to the bottom of the list.
Sportingly
Cracker
A.K.A. Wise Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

As afore mentioned my wife is all excited about the postal contest. So, when I got things ready and was shooting a few practice shots things were okay.

But. . .

When the real target came outta the envelope and was stapled to the shooting rack. . . . a 65lbs chunck of lead landed on my back with the attack cry of "Don't shoot DAD!! I wanna shoot!!"

I don't care what ya say about weather or body functions or anything else. . . .when that little boy waits until just the moment your finger is on the trigger and he sees that "Its on the mark" look in your eye. . . that's his cue to shout "SHOOT! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT DAD!" and if his first attempt to bump you off the plinker doesn't work. . . ."Mom! Mom! MOM!. .. Dad won't let me shoot. Make him let me shoot!" :(

then its: "Honey, let the boy shoot so he'll leave you alone.. . .Then it's my turn, you take too long between your shots!"

I love my family!!! They spoil me.

I still haven't put the first hole in the postal target, but the day will come when momma cat and little kitten are out at the store or grandma's house. :D
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'm not sure what happened. One of my rifles did NOT cooperate. I think my lack of cleaning time did me in. I only had a few hours in between range sessions and forgot to start the soaking when I got home the first time. A club match in the morning and a postal shoot in the evening was just too many rounds down the pipe without a good scrubbing :oops: . Almost forgot about this one, It was hard to see the target rings with a 9 power scope in the evening shade :roll: :lol: . I had the perfect day, 70 degrees with a gusty wind. But, it was dead calm for a few minutes between each gust. I guess that's my excuse for one rifle. None needed for the other :twisted: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:I'm not sure what happened. One of my rifles did NOT cooperate. I think my lack of cleaning time did me in. I only had a few hours in between range sessions and forgot to start the soaking when I got home the first time. A club match in the morning and a postal shoot in the evening was just too many rounds down the pipe without a good scrubbing :oops: . Almost forgot about this one, It was hard to see the target rings with a 9 power scope in the evening shade :roll: :lol: . I had the perfect day, 70 degrees with a gusty wind. But, it was dead calm for a few minutes between each gust. I guess that's my excuse for one rifle. None needed for the other :twisted: .
The targets were meant to challenge equipment as well as the shooter.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Hawkeye says "None needed for the other." That should send a message of fear into the hearts of mortal shooters. Maybe his target will get lost in the mail.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I shot mine this morning. My name is 3 shot now :mad: I didn't do good on this one, but had two 3 shot groups in the 1s and 2s :D
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I shot the wrong gun :lol: Went out and sighted in my other AR (.204) and on 9 power I shot a 4 shot .292 group :wall: :lol:
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Well......I have let my rifles down. They were performing well, but the shooter wasn't doing his part. Shooting conditions were just about perfect, virtually no wind.
Lessons learned:
-Don't get in a hurry and try to do all your shooting at one time.
-Be consistent at the bench......my techniques at the bench stink.
-Don't get distracted by other shooters/non-shooters.
-Prairie dog accurate is not bench-rest accurate.
-Even with an accurate gun(s), it's dang hard to shoot three good five shot groups.
-Shoot your targets before you go on a week long prairie dog trip.
-Hope your targets get lost in the mail before they get to Skipper!

-Last but not least: Mentally prepare yourself that someone has to be last.
ImageImage
love2shoot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by love2shoot »

No excuses here. Just didn't do the rifle justice. The funny part is after shooing the target I tried some new loads and found a new load that put 5 shots in one hole. How many of you think target panic has a role in shooting the target?
cracker

Post by cracker »

to much joe for the factory handload targets thats my excuse. now for the factory factory excuse. first i shot the grand kids rossi 243 I bought him for his birthday, 9 lb trigger, then I sighted a new scope on the 30-06 nice trigger just a little kick. then went to the cz with the set trigger at about 2 lbs, looking thru the scope, looks good, squeeze the trigger, hey who the he!! shot, oh it was me. it took a while to get used to the trigger and the groups showed it. I told myself to shot the postal shoot first but even I don't listen to me.
Cracker
A.K.A. bad shot
Sportingly
cracker
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

love2shoot wrote:No excuses here. Just didn't do the rifle justice. The funny part is after shooing the target I tried some new loads and found a new load that put 5 shots in one hole. How many of you think target panic has a role in shooting the target?

+1!

Didn't do my rifle ANY justice AT ALL! I think me shooting the .17 HMR the same day and it pi$$ing me off had alot to do with it.

ETA: Not to mention I think I wore out the welcome. I was making sure all was well prior to shooting the target and produced a few cloverleafs! That went to the wayside.