**COYOTE POSTAL SHOOT SIGNUP**

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: **COYOTE POSTAL SHOOT SIGNUP**

Post by OldTurtle »

I've been trying to "Guesstimate" what the smallest ones would compute out as far as a range...The visible length of the smallest target coyote itself measures at 1/2" and the actual length of a full grown dog is about 4.5' nose to tail tip (around here), so that would make it what?,,, a 1000 yard shot??? About .00926% of actual size @ 0 feet...if the largest target is 3" @ 100 yards (.055% of actual) ???

It will be quite a feat for me to hit even one...
AR
Factory/Factory
tarbabi

Post by tarbabi »

Am I correct to assume that I did not make the cut?

Matt
cracker

Post by cracker »

Matt you have a pm
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
cracker

Post by cracker »

It looks like the target that BaBaoriley posted would have scored a 70 or an 85 if shot # 12 took off a toe. I based the scoring of 300 points for a perfect target on the bowling score of 300 for a perfect game. I was thinking that a score of 100 would be good as I have a hard time doing it with a ball and ten pins. looks like 100 might be harder then I thought. good luck shooter's and can't wait to find the time to put holes in my target.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Cracker,

Anybody who could think up this game must be mentally unbalanced!
I can't wait to shoot mine either.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Hotshot
And you call me "WISE"
SPORTINGLY
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
igoman
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12

Post by igoman »

Just got mine in the mail today, can't wait to put some copper through them. Just need a good calm day here in Oklahoma, this may take a while....
cracker

Post by cracker »

went to shoot my target today only to remember I sent the last one out and need to print one for me to use. At least i had another gun with me and got some reload work done, also while at the range meet some old buddys I haven't seen in years. good guns, good whammo, good beer and good friends, god I love this sport.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
OldTurtle

Post by OldTurtle »

Well, all I can say is that after shooting my target, BabaOriley and the rest of you probably have "nothing to fear from me".... :oops:

My .204 AR started having cycling problems about half way through and I was having to load one at a time....Lost track of which dogs had just been shot and forgot to engage two of them... :roll: .. I was too worried to break the 20 round rule and too lazy to walk the 200 yards to find out.. :eew:

At least I now know never to try a 2000 yard shot on anything off of shooting sticks... :doh:

I'll post mine here as soon as I figure out how to get them in my scanner..Decided just to take a photo since the paper was going to have to be folded a bunch to get on the scanner... :wall:

Here's the "Practice Target" where I forgot to shoot two due to having to load one at a time...

And the one that 'counts':

Last edited by OldTurtle on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR
Factory/Factory
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

OT, that target I posted was off a 6-9 bipod. While I have shooting sticks I'll use for this, I never use them. I use a 12-25 bipod when calling coyotes. I'm thinking my contest target won't look too great. I think to score high on this target, you may need better than 16x magnification. The winners of last years postal shoot should chime in here about the magnification they used. It always seems like the guys with the .3" groups "all day long" are using 25x or more. Now keeping steady at 25x on sticks would be a challenge in itself, but at least you'll be able to see what you're aiming at on this one. Probably not many out there with 40x on their walking rifle.
OldTurtle

Post by OldTurtle »

I was originally using my 4-16x set at 16x and quickly dropped it down to 12x, just due to the unsteadiness of the sticks.... Usually if I'm in the woods, I use the carry sling with my arm wrapped through it... Just the way I was taught as a kid..

When I first saw the target, my first thought was "Wonder if I could use my 8-32x scope on the small ones?" and realized I probably couldn't hold steady enough to even see the target stand, much less the target...

Had my eyes been good enough to see the small ones, I would have probably been trying to fit iron sights back on the barrel..less noticeable shaking that way.. :oops:
AR
Factory/Factory
cracker

Post by cracker »

OT
Very nice target, good shooting. Everyone has to realize I am a lazy person and did not want to measure groups or have a target that was hard to score. I figured if I made it tough that I wouldn’t have to add many numbers together to come up with the scores. Also if its very challenging there may not be a tie and that makes it easier on all (you wont have to share bragging rights) from OT and Baba’s targets I can tell this will be a very challenging shoot and their targets show me I am in for stiff competition here.
Have fun people and I have to get to the print shop and the range as the DEAD line is approaching
Sportingly
Cracker
Wise
Sportingly
cracker
OldTurtle

Post by OldTurtle »

It will really do some distinctive separation as the old axiom of "Aim Small, Miss Small" takes on a whole new meaning.... :lol:
AR
Factory/Factory
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Shot target number 1 today......not too much wind and about 72 degrees but I have to admit that even though the wind was not much of an issue, those coyote's were bobbing around in my cross hairs like they were alive.. Then like a new shooter, I continued to shoot when my barrel was getting warm/hot, guess what...the shots started going high. I have three different sets of crossed-sticks that I used in BPCR competition so I did not have to make any. Im not showing my target and all my missed coyotes just yet, and I still have one more target to redeem myself (I Hope). Had the Leupold set on 25x and them coyotes still looked real small, like postage stamps. Hope to have a better target next time I make a post. Thanks Cracker, for setting this postal match up....... its getting real interesting.
Just looked at my other target only to find out I shot the bigger target first. Oh well, must of had a senior moment. Getting old s^*ks!
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters