POSTAL SHOOT DETAILS - BEGINNING STAGES - **IDEAS WELCOME**

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

POSTAL SHOOT DETAILS - BEGINNING STAGES - **IDEAS WELCOME**

Post by BabaOriley »

We now have 66 entries in the various classes. See post below for details. I hope to have everyone signed up by June 7th, so please let me know soon if you will be entering! Thanks!

There's been talk of a postal shoot, and as we only get about 5 months where we might see calm, dry, warm, comfortable shooting conditions where I live, I figure if I want to see it happen, I better take my turn at organizing one. It seems like we only get about 3 hours, 3 days a month like that in the summer, and I'm busy 3 our of 4 times the stars align, but now is the time to get some shooting in, for me anyway.

This time around, there will be an entry fee. :shock:
Since there's also been talk of how the owner of our favorite website is in need of some reward for his time and effort providing us such a nice place to live on the Internet, I figure we should all be able to help out. Some have donated money, some will buy T-Shirts, and some are giving enough by volunteering their endless knowledge. I hope something like this can benefit the site somehow, either by bringing in some extra money, or by increasing participation.
Now, before you move on, heading back to the FREE part of the Internet, let me explain what I have in mind. I've noticed I have several items sitting around here I know I'll never use. I could sell these items on eBay, but I think I'd get more out of supporting this site, and putting them up as prizes for a fun competition. Maybe some of you have items you'd donate to the prize pool.

Rules:
.20 Caliber rifles ONLY. I'd say .204 Ruger only, but the hole is going to be the same. No way to tell what it came out of, so .20 cal it is.

All targets must be shot outdoors. A 200 yard indoor range, with no wind, is rare, and would not be fair.

Entry: $3 per class

Classes:
See separate post below for suggested classes to be available.

* FACTORY = A manufacturer who produces and sells more than 10000 rifles a year. A "factory" DPMS .204 Ruger might have a bull barrel on it, but I'd consider this a factory rifle. Let's say have White Oak Arms AR-15 in .204 Ruger you off a website. I'd consider them to be a custom manufacturer, and it could be used only in the Unlimited classes. If you are in doubt, ask before entering. Someone is going to have to judge what is factory and what isn't. If you guys would like to choose someone besides me to decide this, that would be fine.
Edit: The DPMS vs custom AR analogy was not appropriate for this application. Factory is going to mean factory barrel, except for the Savage LRPV, which will be restricted to UNLIMITED classes only. Also, I think it best that ALL AR-15 variants are restricted to UNLIMITED classrd, or the ***AR-15*** classes listed in the post below.

If you participate in this, please participate in the spirit of fair competition, not "getting by with a technicality" to give yourself some edge. I don't think anybody will claim you cheated if you win, but think about how others are going to be participating, and try to follow the spirit of the rules.

Prizes:
Prize pool will be listed AFTER all Targets are received. Each prize will be assigned a number. The top 3 shooter/rifle pairings in each class will get their choice of prize from the list. The order in which each class gets to choose will be drawn for. That order will be repeated down to 3rd place in all 5 classes. No matter how many classes it is entered in, each rifle will be eligible for ONE prize. If a rifle finishes 1st in one class, and 3rd in another, the shooter will forfeit their 3rd place prize choice with that rifle. If they place with a different rifle, that shooter can select one prize per rifle entered if that rifle qualifies for a prize. This way, the top 3 rifles in each class get to choose a prize. Let's say someone has a rifle that is crazy accurate. That rifle can place in more than one class, but can only claim one prize. A signature tag will also be made available for place winners in each class to have displayed on the forum.

As far as prizes, I guess it would be nice if they all fit in a $5 flat rate box, but I doubt that's gonna happen. I wouldn't like very much to have a bunch of guys send me 30 pound prizes and I end up losing $200 in shipping the prizes out. maybe I could list estimated shipping cost over $8 or something on any heavier or larger prizes. That way, you'd know before choosing that prize you might have to pay any shipping over say $8. ?
A thought on avoiding shipping costs: If you have a prize to pledge, you keep the item and ship it straight to the winner after results are in. You'd only need to register the prize with me to get it on the list.

It really surprised me to hear from Brian that neither Hornady nor Ruger is willing to sponsor this site that must be the best salesman for a cartridge they invented. Maybe a few of you have industry contacts that might help change that. Maybe you have a contact in any industry that might be willing to put up a prize or two to this contest in exchange for some advertising. Logos could be on the Targets, and maybe Brian would put a sponsor's banner on the forum.

IMPORTANT DATES:
  • DEADLINE to sign up for Classes you want to participate in is MONDAY, JUNE 7th. (send me a PM to be added to lists)

DEADLINE to get your item entered into prize pool is MONDAY, JUNE 14th. (This let's me determine what prizes will be available, and whether the whole thing is feasible before people send in entries.

DEADLINE to have your entry fees sent in is MONDAY, JUNE 21st.

TARGETS go out in mail MONDAY, JULY 28th.

Returning TARGETS must be POSTMARKED BY MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 6th.

Goal is to have TARGETS scored by MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20th.

Prizes should be chosen, shipped, and arrive by THANKSGIVING.

Entrants from across the oceans are welcome, but to claim a prize, you must be willing to pay any extra shipping over $8 to get your selected prize shipped to you. I'm also not sure of the legality on shipping some possible prizes outside the USA, so that may be a consideration when choosing prize.

Let's say the goal here would be to get every shooter a prize valued at $5 or more, although I know I paid over $20 for a couple items I would be donating. Prizes remaining after 15 entrants choose their prize will be randomly awarded to remaining shooters.

I was thinking we could have a minimum post count or something to qualify for entry. That would at least keep someone out there from registering with some sinister plan to cheat, claiming all the good prizes. I hear about coyote contests where they give the winners lie detector tests. Ultimately, these prizes aren't going to be worth thousands of dollars, and there is no way to stop someone from cheating, so I think I'd like to make the only requirement be that you are a member here TODAY, at the time of this posting. If someone cheats, they're just going to have to live with it. I think we've had excellent respect for the rules in past postal shoots around here. It does worry me a little that once you start getting money involved, someone is always left feeling shafted. My main goal here is to avoid that for sure.

Any ideas are welcome on this, as what you see here is just what poured out in the last couple hours. I'm sure there could be some details I'm missing. Ultimately Brian has final say whether he's OK with whatever setup being held here. What do you guys think of the classes structure etc? Am I wrong in thinking some of you have things you could donate as prizes? If there's 75 entrants, I would need to come up with 75 prizes valued at $5 or more, or we may have to cap the prizes awarded to how many are pledged. Let's just see what kind of prize list we get going. (IF YOU HAVE A PRIZE(S) To PLEDGE, PM ME. I DO NOT THINK IT WOULD BE CONSTRUCTIVE FOR ANYONE TO START ANNOUNCING WHAT THEY'LL PLEDGE HERE IN THIS THREAD. I THINK KEEPING THE PRIZE LIST UNKNOWN UNTIL RESULTS ARE IN MAY FOSTER GREATER PARTICIPATION BY TRUE FANS AND PARTICIPANTS OF THIS FORUM. Those who read later about the great prizes that were awarded will have to wait until next year to try their luck. But I don't know. Again, your thoughts are welcome.)

I know that's a lot of info, but I think we can make something like this happen...
Last edited by BabaOriley on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
cracker

Re: POSTAL SHOOT DETAILS - BEGINNING STAGES - **IDEAS WELCOME**

Post by cracker »

you the man BabaOriley
I like what you've done,you can count me in for all classes.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Excellent! Like the idea also BUT I would only be in for one class. Don't have access to anything more than 100 yards.

Anyway you could add a 100 yd factory class or some other sort of 100 yard class?
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

WaltherP99 wrote:Excellent! Like the idea also BUT I would only be in for one class. Don't have access to anything more than 100 yards.

Anyway you could add a 100 yd factory class or some other sort of 100 yard class?

I think a lot of people might be limited to a 100 yd range. In some areas of this country people have a hard time finding a place to shoot at all. Our club has 100 and 200 yd ranges so I'll be limited to that. But that's fine with me. I do like this contest. Dave
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

OK. Yeah I can imagine 100 yards being a limitation for many. Obviously it would be best to get the most possible entered in each class. My local range is only 100 yards, but this year I've been using a 2'x4' piece of plywood held up by 1x1's to use as a target stand. I set it up on a friend's field drive which is straight for about 800 yards. If I shoot more than 200 yards, I'm going to want to be able to drive to my target. I'm not spending half my range time walking, although I could probably use it.

My thinking was when the winners turn in groups of .150" at 100 yards, we need something to challenge them. I'm not confident in my skills at 200 let alone 300, but I'd enter those classes and shoot them just to try it.

So would you guys like a "factory 100 yards for group" class then? Not sure those 200 and 300 yard classes are going to work if only 3 enter each of them. Maybe I should create 10 classes of more variety, with the understanding that 5 or 6 of them with the least number of entrants will be eliminated. Those who were entered in the classes cut could have the option of joining the classes that remain. I would think the order of prizes being chosen at the end could be determined by the number participating in each class. The class with the most entrants chooses a prize first, etc... Great input so far! If you have an idea how it could be better speak up. I've never done this before.
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

Sent you a pm on the postal shoot. If you would like I can e-mail you pics of the rifles I intend to shoot. Thanks for all that you are doing. Ride Up!!!

Thanks
Shane
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

I guess scaling down the 200 and 300 yard targets for 100 wouldn't work? That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if that would be a hassle for ya!

Either way...at least there is 1 class for most of us to shoot! :) Thanks for your time in organizing this Baba and I hope all works out well! :wtg:
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

WaltherP99 wrote:I guess scaling down the 200 and 300 yard targets for 100 wouldn't work? That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if that would be a hassle for ya!

Either way...at least there is 1 class for most of us to shoot! :) Thanks for your time in organizing this Baba and I hope all works out well! :wtg:
I think it would be best to scale down the 200 and 300 yard targets for SCORED competition at 100 yards, but it wouldn't matter shooting for groups.
BabaOriley

New class variations, and AR-15 classes added.

Post by BabaOriley »

These classes were created trying to provide somethign for everyone. It seems that as long as the classes with the most entrants take priority in prize distribution, there's no reason any class with 3 or more entrants couldn't be held. This will also depend on the number of prizes available when the time comes to decide which classes to keep or toss out. Please indicate to me either in this thread or in a PM which classes you want to shoot.

If you have an AR, and a factory bolt action, you can shoot every class listed below. The factory bolt action can shoot 10 of these classes, UNLIMITED and FACTORY. The AR-15 can also shoot 10 classes, UNLIMITED and AR-15. A custom barreled bolt action (and the Savage LRPV) is limited to the 5 UNLIMITED classes.

Class 1 - UNLIMITED 300 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
  • No restriction on rifle.
    Please, no clamping, strapping, or vice type rests.
    Shoot for smallest 5-shot group.
    5 shots anywhere on the target will be measured.
    More than 5 holes in target will result in the 5 holes resulting in largest group being measured.
    Target will be measured with OnTarget software.
Class 2 - UNLIMITED 300 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
    Target will be scored by each ring or item on the target having a point value.
    Each shot will score the highest ring or item it is touching.
    Higher point total is the goal.
    10 shots anywhere on the target will be scored.
    More than 10 holes in target will result in only the 10 lowest scoring holes to be counted.
Class 3 - UNLIMITED 200 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
    More than 5 holes in target will result in the 5 holes resulting in largest group being measured.
Class 4 - UNLIMITED 200 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
    More than 10 holes in target will result in only the 10 lowest scoring holes to be counted.
Class 5 - UNLIMITED 100 yards for 10-SHOT GROUP.
    In the 100 yard classes, no more than 20x zoom setting may be used on any scope. That is total effective zoom, including doublers etc..
    10 shots anywhere on the target will be measured.
    More than 10 holes in target will result in the 10 holes resulting in largest group being measured.
Class 6 - FACTORY 200 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
  • Factory barrels only. Custom stock and/or trigger is allowed.
    Savage LRPV will be considered custom for this event, and is only eligible in UNLIMITED classes.
Class 7 - FACTORY 200 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
    Savage LRPV will be considered custom for this event, and is only eligible in UNLIMITED classes.
Class 8 - FACTORY 100 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
    In the 100 yard classes, no more than 20x zoom setting may be used on any scope. That is total effective zoom, including doublers etc..
    Any more than 5 holes in target will result in 5 holes making up largest group being counted.
Class 9 - FACTORY 100 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
Class 10 - FACTORY 100 yards for 10-SHOT GROUP.
    Shoot for smallest 10-shot group.
    More than 10 holes in target will result in the 10 holes resulting in largest group being measured.
Class 11 - ***AR-15*** 200 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
  • ANY AR-15 chambered for ANY .20 caliber cartridge.
    In the AR-15 classes, a minimum of 5 shots at a time MUST BE SEMI-AUTO CYCLED unless jam must be cleared and next round chambered.
    If you chamber each round one at a time manually, this rifle may be used in UNLIMITED classes only.
Class 12 - ***AR-15*** 200 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
    In the AR-15 classes, a minimum of 5 shots at a time MUST BE SEMI-AUTO CYCLED unless jam must be cleared and next round chambered.
    If you chamber each round one at a time manually, this rifle may be used in UNLIMITED classes only.
Class 13 - ***AR-15*** 100 yards for 5-SHOT GROUP.
    Any more than 5 holes in target will result in 5 holes making up largest group being counted.
Class 14 - ***AR-15*** 100 yards for SCORE. 10 shots.
Class 15 - ***AR-15*** 100 yards for 10-SHOT GROUP.
    Shoot for smallest 10-shot group.
Last edited by BabaOriley on Tue May 25, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

I'll enter 2 rifles.

Savage bolt action in these classes: 6-10, 5

AR-15 in these classes: 1-5, 11-15

That's 16 classes. $48 in entry fees.
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

I will enter my Savage LRPV in classes 1-5, my Savage model 12 in classes 6-10, and my AR-15 in classes 11-15. That should be $45.00. I just need an address to send the funds to. Thanks again and Ride Up!!!

Thanks
Shane
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I'll enter my AR in 11-15....PM me with the mailing address... You da man, for putting this together, Baba... :D
AR
Factory/Factory
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Current entries:
Class 1
  • BabaOriley
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 2
  • BabaOriley
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 3
  • BabaOriley
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 4
  • BabaOriley
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 5
  • BabaOriley (2 rifles)
    broncsandwhiskey
    mrmarmota
    Hotshot
Class 6
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    greystone
    broncsandwhiskey
    bb73
    greystone
Class 7
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    greystone
    broncsandwhiskey
    bb73
Class 8
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    greystone
    broncsandwhiskey
    6.5swede
    mrmarmota
    Hotshot
    bb73
    greystone
Class 9
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    greystone
    broncsandwhiskey
    mrmarmota
    Hotshot
    bb73
    greystone
Class 10
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    greystone
    broncsandwhiskey
    6.5swede
    mrmarmota
    Hotshot
    bb73
    greystone
Class 11
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    OldTurtle
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 12
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    OldTurtle
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 13
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    OldTurtle
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 14
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    OldTurtle
    broncsandwhiskey
Class 15
  • BabaOriley
    cracker
    OldTurtle
    broncsandwhiskey
Last edited by BabaOriley on Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Tried making a target for the scored classes. Would like some feedback on what you guys might prefer and why. Keep in mind these will be printed on 8 1/2x11 paper. I like the term "204um Challenge" better than "Postal Shoot", which sounds like the mailman shooting up his place of work.

This first one looks like it may be a crapshoot, but I think there are a couple areas on the target that might have a chance at rewarding a miss more than others. I would think there would have to be a stipulation on this target that if I can't find 10 holes, you can't claim you had one go through the same hole. If there's any question as to whether there's 10 holes or not, you may lose a hole being counted, so go for a different item on the target if you don't want to risk that. Or, shoot another shot? The 10 score on this target will print 1".

Text reads "Shoot 10 shots. Item hit scores value shown. Highest total wins. If more than 10 holes in target, lowest scoring 10 holes counted first."

This one I'm really not sure on. Not many around here but me shoot more than 2" groups very often with any gun they'll keep around, so we probably don't need such a big target. I know there's several around here who would shoot out the bull on this target, so would have to trust they may have 10 shots through one ragged hole if that's what they claim. If there's nothing left of the bull though, I'm not sure how you'd know if it was a 10 or 9. Maybe superimpose a bull over the top of the target and see what fits inside it? The reason I'm concerned on scoring is this is probably going to be one of the most popular targets, and scoring needs to be somewhat straightforward on it, or some could argue the scoring. I'll see what you guys think on these two styles...

Text reads "Shoot 10 shots. Item hit scores value shown. Highest total wins. If more than 10 holes in target, lowest scoring 10 holes counted first."
Last edited by BabaOriley on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Personally, I like the target with the multiple potentials rather than one bulls eye....While any wind can play havoc with individual scores, it would certainly be easier to score and count the shots..... Those "100" counts do look awfully small though.. :lol:
AR
Factory/Factory