HEY LURKERS!!! GET TO POSTING-

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: HEY LURKERS!!! GET TO POSTING-

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom, thanks for clearing the goosey thing up. That's what I assumed, but had to ask anyway.

Looks like you guys have quite the system for dressing those birds. When I saw that pile, I thought 'wow, that's gonna take some time'. You guys must have had some HOT shotgun barrels, and smiles that required surgery to remove. Those are time times we all remember. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I keep wondering where all the others went also. Thanks TC for the followup. Good eats with that ground sausage and sticks, for sure. :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I walk by flocks of those on a pretty regular basis and in the spring time, they can be a little hissy when the babies are out.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

My cousin was on a day once where they got 320 of them. Seeing the white tornado of birds circling above you is awesome. https://youtu.be/LqNygs6uTSc?si=iB0gMywfcedXsWT-
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:29 am Tom, thanks for clearing the goosey thing up. That's what I assumed, but had to ask anyway.

Looks like you guys have quite the system for dressing those birds. When I saw that pile, I thought 'wow, that's gonna take some time'. You guys must have had some HOT shotgun barrels, and smiles that required surgery to remove. Those are time times we all remember. :D
I grabbed a goose, ripped his breast feathers out, and tossed them to my friend and my cousin who fillets the breast, throws it in a pile, tosses the carccas in another pile and about that time I throw another one to the empty man. We were tired, happy, and wanted to get done and go home.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I suspect I am some where around the same area, Leavenworth, Atchison and Jefferson counties is where I ran around a lot. Urban sprawl started about 1988, coon hunting and end up in some ones back yard. Coyote hunting with dogs dropped off some time before that. Still got a few guys running greyhounds but less every year it seems. I need to get back to calling, works best if I get out of the house lol.

I lost hundreds if not a few thousand pics of a lot of years of deer hunting and waterfowl hunting. Tried like heck desk top crashed and a bunch of viruses no luck getting them back. I use a flash drive now. About to dig out and old 35mm camera ut don’t even know if the develop film or make it anymore lol.

I got into waterfowl hunting when most were dropping out due to steel shot. I have acquired a large number of calls over the years. My first custom call was ordered on the phone from some fellow named Phil, his brother Si answered that day. I lived for waterfowl season and spent a huge amount of preseason scouting. Probably contributed a fair bit to me not being married any longer.

I never chased the snow geese to hard. That was when nothing left to do. Hunted Missouri River bottom across from Iatan power plant. Killed a lot of them, but 99.9% would never commit with in range. I HATE sky busters!!! We had some really good set ups, but a LOT of eyes, one sees it be thing out of place and take the other thousand with them.
I recall we scoured about a 20 acre field one day, cut corn. We picked up two aluminum cans and bottle. The next day it was like you flipped a switch. That spot got hunted everyday for quite a while.
Had not hunted prairie dogs since about 88-89. Sold off most of my varmint rifles, which by today’s standards are way to big 22-250, 243 6mm Remington. A few of us got together and went out after a long spell. I had a 223 and that was it. Guys with the 204’s gave me a lesson. Came home a d liquidated some stale inventory and built 4 new rigs and bought a couple more. No adult supervision.
I have to admit a 22BR is about my favorite and boring rig.
I have a 20BR that sits waiting to digest enough 55’s to wear it out.

I poke around at a few of my old sites. Seems like activity is slow. Am on accurate shooter every day.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Well that is something. And you added to the site here. All is well and good. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I am trying Bill. I hate to see this thing die a slow death

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

You and a few others seem to think the same. Wish more would jump back in. :D