TGIF!!! Whats your weekend plans??

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

TGIF!!! Whats your weekend plans??

Post by Tom Kat »

I will buy new tires for my wifes Rogue, and then hunker down. WE are about to get cold and a little rain/snow. Making chili on Sunday, then watching my beloved CHIEFS whip Denver for the 16th time in a row....WHAT ARE YOU DOING????
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: TGIF!!! Whats your weekend plans??

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TGIF? When you're retired, every day is Friday! :lol:

I'll be installing new night sights with my Wheeler sight pusher on my Wilson Combat SFX9 carry piece, raking copious quality of maple leaves :roll: getting 200 20VT cases loaded up with Nosler 32gr Varmageddons for spring rat season and readying my travel trailer and house for the frigid temps on the way for winter once again. Other than working on my pistol, nothing to crow about.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

ITs sad to see 13 other people looked at this post but wouldnt take the time to share their weekend plans with the group. Do you think this site will continue on forever with no activity????
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I am with Rick, every day is a TGIF.. :D I will piddle around the yard, go fish and might even do some shooting or calling coyote. Days are cooling, high running around 54, nights hitting 20 above and supposed to get colder in a day or two. Rain/snow mentioned, but so far have not seen it produce much. Light dusting on the mountain tops, but so far none here at my place, just above me,I live at 5100 ft. .
101_0584.JPG
101_0584.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 74969 times
Eagle lake fish.jpg
Eagle lake fish.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 74969 times

( did recieve my 22PPC form/trim die from Redding in post today, so may after sundown form some brass)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I do a lot of woodworking in my spare time. I'm getting ready to put the finish on this project. It's a Flip Board for the church. They put questions on one side of the panels and answers on the other and the kids can flip them to see if their answer is correct. They also like to do match games and puzzles.

Flip Board 2.jpg
Flip Board 2.jpg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 74962 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Nice to see the game is using thier physical and mental process in a old fashioned way, rather than via some electronic gadget. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

With my friend on the Kansas River. If you look close you will see a young eagle in the nest.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Like Rick & Bill, I'm retired so I have weekend projects all week :D. This Friday & Saturday mum & I will be working at Ruby's Pantry distributing food to the community. Saturday & Sunday our conservation club is hosting a rifle sight in for the upcoming Wisconsin gun deer season. Saturday afternoon I'll do some spotting for our customers, Sunday I'll be the bartender, if things slow a bit I'll sneak out to the range and sight in the ole 270. I'm working up a hunting load with 140gr Game Kings because the 130gr pills I used to fling at deer have been unavailable here for some time, I'm down to 9 130gr rounds. I'll just have to "force myself" to work up the new load.
Shoot straight & often.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like you will be busy, yet still have time to fit in some shooting and then hunting, when that opens for the season. Good to see someone still uses the old fashioned, yet able 270 Win. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:22 am Sounds like you will be busy, yet still have time to fit in some shooting and then hunting, when that opens for the season. Good to see someone still uses the old fashioned, yet able 270 Win. :)
The 270 is a wonderful round for deer. I have killed a big pile of whitetails with the .270

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been shooting mulies here on the high desert with my pet .270W since 1969. A pre-'64 M70 that was completely reworked by both McMillian and Robar back around 1996. I still have a few pounds of H4831 marked "WWII Surplus Powder" (20mm cannon) and it still shoots under 3/4 MOA with its pet load. It's scoped with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X with their CDS turret. Absolute deer death!

It has accounted for over 150 deer in its lifetime, as when I worked in logging camps in BC in the 70's, we could shoot 10 per season, so the tally really cranked up there. It is my all-time pet rifle. :yeah:

Love the .270 Winnie!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WesF

Post by WesF »

My whitetail boom stick is a model 700 Remington I purchased in 1980. Prior to that I was relegated to hunting deer with a shotgun because the hunting ground I had access to was in the farmland in WI which was shotgun only. Since purchasing the Remy I've been hunting the big woods of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National forest which is rifle country. Deer density in the big woods is much lower "up north" & harvesting an animal requires much more work but is also much more rewarding with success. The deer I harvest are one shot and done, the 270W is an awesome caliber when used by a competent & ethical hunter!
Shoot straight & often.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

A few years back I shot this one with my 1961 M 70 (the year I was born in) chambered in .30-06. I looked at the time (2005-2007) to find one in 270 winchester. But I didnt find any good ones. I fell into this one right for the money and in good shape so I went down that road. I managed to wack about a dozen deer and a black bear with it.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
WesF

Post by WesF »

Well...This past Sunday's range time was a success! The work on my 140gr Game King hunting load was successful using the 2nd recipe. Remington brass, Winchester large rifle primers, 40.4gr of H4895 & bullets seated to the SAAMI cartridge overall length of 3.280". I was able to hold the scope dead on the 100yd bulls eye & the bullets hit dead center for a 3 shot group that I could cover with a half dollar. Just for the grins of it I shot at the 150yd 4" diameter gong, the bullet vaporized about 3/4" below center. The recipe isn't producing a blistering velocity but I am more than satisfied with the accuracy. The cover density where I hunt is such that I've not taken a shot at a deer more than 100yds away so I believe I ready for the season. I'll probably mess around with bullet seating depth in search of the mythical one hole group but that will happen after this deer season. Wish me luck ;)
Shoot straight & often.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Now we wait for the photo of a nice buck taken with the load. :D :D