Winter wonderland

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Winter wonderland

Post by Tom Kat »

I have been a frugal spender all my life. But at this point, I realize I cant take it with me. So do I need a tractor? Sometimes...I will let the estate worry about that.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Don't feel bad Rick, it happens to the best of us, one way or another. I have that much and more right now and more is still coming down here. I juat came back in from plowing the drive and street and will take a little rest, then be back out again.. Oh the fun we have when not shooting those squeeks and Chucks. :D
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Just keep all that snow there guys. Houston doesn't have the knowhow to handle snow.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:05 pm Just keep all that snow there guys. Houston doesn't have the knowhow to handle snow.
I will, if you promise to keep that heat and humidity down there....I hate hot weather
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I don't take the cold like I did when younger, but I still like cool weather way better than the high heat you guys in Texas and Az get. Anything above 80 is to hot for me. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:15 pm I don't take the cold like I did when younger, but I still like cool weather way better than the high heat you guys in Texas and Az get. Anything above 80 is to hot for me. :D
Same for me Bill, and exactly why I live where I do. Humidity really kills me, as after a full year in RVN with super high humid conditions on a daily basis, I seldom now if ever travel east of the Rockies as if I do, I'm miserable. Besides, we've got about every species of big game you can think of, sheep, goats, elk, both deer species, antelope, all the bird hunting you could ever do, and superlative varmint shooting. Perfect except for the libtard politics from Portland.

We have all four seasons here, no humidity at all, no extreme temp swings either way. To me, it's perfect. Been here by choice for 50 years, wouldn't change a thing. But as our old governor used to say...."A great place to visit, but don't plan to stay".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I also dislike heat and humidity. I swear it was not this humid30-40 years ago. Older and fatter now, I can deal with it but at a slower pace. Still make young pups look bad though.
We have some negative temps supposed to arrive in the next few days. I hope like heck we don’t have to take the boiler off line because of gas supplies!! Sooo many steam traps and heat trace lines to get back on line. Can take a couple of months to get everything back to 100% heat.

Lost power late Tuesday and worked all day on that mess. Boiler has a back up generator but a hot oil heater is on its own. Trying to get that thing primed was a PITA yesterday.

You Texas folks may want to lay in a supply of heating items. Sounds like a it is going down that way again.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The church where i volunteer is preparing for the threat of two days with below freezing temps in the forecast starting Sunday night. I've been doing pipe wrap duties all day for the second day in a row now. We don't insulate like up north so these arctic blasts have a way of knocking all the generation off line. The ERCOT is hoping the generation doesn't all go offline like a couple of years ago. Forced outages across the state. People were left without power for a couple of days straight. I lost both my A/C units and had a waterfall coming from the ceiling in my garage. Cost me upwards of $25K to get everything fixed.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

I feel for you. Up here in MT, we are forecasted to see low temps in the -20F range late this weekend along with snow into early next week. Like you said though, these type conditions are not that far out of the ordinary for those who have lived here a while. It'll be a different story for the recent transplants as their Prius will have a tough time of it.

Perhaps there is a silver lining...maybe the frigid temps will send them packing...we can only hope.
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Up in North Dakota we are finally getting into our cold weather (not that I want it), lows over night of negative double digit's and highs in the single digits below zero. Will warm up late next week above zero. We are definitely reaping the benefits of El Nino unlike other parts of the country. We should have a foot or two of snow but have only a couple inches that have stuck since Christmas.
Snapchat-1301315180.jpg
Snapchat-1301315180.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 465452 times
We lost power on Christmas day from rain, yes rain on Christmas. 2 inches with it turning to ice overnight did a number on power lines. My sump pump hasnt run this much since last spring. Got to run my new generator I bought in the spring. There has been more foggy days than snow days this winter. Just crazy. Wife and I met my mom and her folks at a funeral last Friday and it was drizzle fog/ice in January. Just Nuts@
Snapchat-1787427025.jpg
Snapchat-1787427025.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 465452 times
Attachments
Snapchat-1049919584.jpg
Snapchat-1049919584.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 465452 times
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Are you in the Red river valley?

We are at 15, and will hit - zero tonight...snow expected in Kansas today

John Maynard Keynes
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

I am. Southwest of Fargo only a handful of miles. Have to commute up to the Big city every day to stare at that bright light through my welding hood.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Grandon, Graftin, Grand Forks, been all through the area many times and up to Winterpeg more than once-

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Then present situation-
weather.png
weather.png (331.71 KiB) Viewed 455617 times

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

It is that time of the year for temps to be dropping. My area is hovering in single digits, near zero at night and showing a high for the day on a average of 28 now. And snow and rain in the forecast again. :D