Winter wonderland

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Winter wonderland

Post by Tom Kat »

We got 5.5 inches of snow yesterday, its about 24 degrees...how did everyone else do?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Winter wonderland

Post by Bill K »

Last week a couple mornings I had about 1/2 to 1 inch of snow, but nothing since. But it will be coming for sure, in time.
Temps running cold already, nights down to the mid teens, 21 right now at 0600 hr. Day time temps getting up into the mid 30-40's. Off and on partly cloudy or some sun burning through. But I am ready with the snow blower and plow on jeep for the winters snow fall, per usual up here in my area. :D

This is what it will be like in the next few months. This from last year's.
101_0332.JPG
101_0332.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 536212 times
[attachment=0]
Attachments
102_7846 (1).JPG
102_7846 (1).JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 536212 times
102_7846 (1).JPG
102_7846 (1).JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 536213 times
101_0332.JPG
101_0332.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 536213 times
101_0299.JPG
101_0299.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 536213 times
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

Not to get into a prolonged "mine is bigger than yours" debate, and recognizing the amount of snow we each receive is entirely out of our feeble hands, here is a picture of our picnic table taken a few days before Halloween this year. Mind you, this was the most snow we received until recently, but it did provide a good start to replenishing the water table.
Attachments
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg (541.89 KiB) Viewed 533919 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

That is good as you say for the water table. My area, I believe is headed back to more of a drought year, the way it seems, but things can change and we could get another decent winter like last year, however in the long haul the run off was not as good as they thought it would be, overall, last year so we will see how it goes in the next couple months.
All of us need a decent winter and longer runoff in the spring. :)
MTPaul

Post by MTPaul »

You are right...a good start. In our part of southwest MT, we generally get the moisture laden and heavy wet snows as we get closer to late Feb and early March. While the winter snows do somewhat contribute to a groundwater recharge, they generally don't bring with them lots of moisture, the ski areas are the primary beneficiaries. Speaking of which, many ski resorts this winter were lamenting their lack of snowpack recently and over the Christmas holidays many vacationers to this area were no doubt disappointed they didn't bring their favorite rock skis with them as many of the slopes were closed and those that were open had more than a few "surprises" waiting for many of the unsuspecting downhill carvers.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

More than a few in my state thought the season would start off earlier, but it turned into a bust for most also.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

We've got a foot+ on the way this week I'm told by the "WX Guessers". Our Mt. Bachelor also was almost snow-less for their annual opening, but no matter for me, as my skiing days are past, too old and busted up now for such foolishness. I'll leave that to the 20-somthing rubber people.

I've resisted buying a snow blower, as if I do, it is sure NOT to snow for the next five years. No blower, now the foot plus is on the way. See how this works out? :chin:

I'm just checking off the weeks one at a time in anticipation of the coming of April.....rat season begins! I'm in the final stages of my last 100 rounds on the bench of 20VT for the 2024 season, giving me my usual 1,200 rounds per rifle. If the WX cooperates, maybe some early rock chuck shooting as early as late Feb or early March.....guess we'll see.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

MTPaul

Post by MTPaul »

I too gave up on downhill skiing some years ago. As I have come to learn, sometimes the hard way, it takes longer and longer to heal or mend this tired old body now that I've passed the senior citizen stage and approach the Grumpier Old Man stage.

As for clearing snow I too have graduated to various means of avoiding the back breaking shoveling method in favor of more friendly (friendly to the body at least) methods. The average annual snowfall we can expect, based on the nearest long-term weather station is over 80". First, I bought a snow blade for the JD riding mower. While this does accomplish the task with the addition of tire chains, with more than 6" of snow I can't push the snow down the long driveway. Next, I tried a Polaris ATV also equipped with a snow blade. Again, often the snow depth would often prove too much for the rig to handle. Plus, I was exposed to the elements during the entire time making the experience less than desirable when the outside temps dipped well below zero and the wind blew. Now I have a Polaris Ranger with a fully enclosed cab, heat and a/c, radio, six cup holders (for hot coffee and/or other assorted beverages) and all the power necessary to not only clear our driveway, but occasionally help others who aren't as well equipped to deal with the occasional dumper. Yes, I could employ a service to do this on my behalf, but I'm not there yet.

I too am counting down the days when the white stuff is but a distant memory and various varmints begin to emerge from their dens and burrows.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Your mention of your path way with snow blades/plows made me pass to you how I have done it for 15 plus years. My old 92 Jeep with chains on front tires does very well. :D
102_7846 (1).JPG
102_7846 (1).JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 533309 times
At this point in time and amount chains not on tires yet, but when it gets upwards of 6 ft. on they go.
MTPaul

Post by MTPaul »

Ha! Who knows, at some point I too may have to find another method of clearing snow off the driveway when the depth proves to be too much for the Polaris Ranger. The next logical step for me might be to equip my Ram 2500 diesel with a snow blade as I already have the tire chains. I've found if I don't let the snow accumulate too much, the Ranger is able to keep up. Fingers crossed... ;)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Trying to stay ahead of the next storm on Friday-
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

TK, now that is the type of rig to have. push and even lift and move it elsewhere. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Its nice to be able to move snow going forward or backward....

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Woke up this morning to 10" on the ground. This is the result of me NOT buying a snow blower for years, saying if I did buy one, it would not snow for the next five years to any degree. Well, it's now been those five years, and guess what? :wall:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

MTPaul

Post by MTPaul »

It may come as but a small consolation...but looking back and the older I get, the more "shoulda, coulda, would a moments I've experienced. Is this a sign of indecision or just too many life experiences spread out over time? Hmmm. Maybe a little of both. :huh: