Streaming video thread-

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Streaming video thread-

Post by Tom Kat »

Like most people on this site, I live (by choice) in a rural area. All I had for internet was DSL over some 40 year old telephone lines.
My wife and I work from home and we send and receive lots of data on a daily basis.

At long last, Starlink became available in my area and I made the deci$ion to upgrade to Starlink. If you are interested in that journey, you can watch my video on what the install was like HERE- https://youtu.be/thiFTClxMTo?si=nEcqT94JClrF5dKu Most people would have a much easier install than what I had to do.

The good news is, Starlink works great for me. Its true I pay a lot, but given the nature of my job, we can justify it.

This all brings me to the topic at hand- streaming video. We bought a Rocu device and it works good over all. We have not subscribed to any pay sights yet, there are a lot of free things to watch.

Are any of you streaming video? Do you have a service you hate/love? Any reccomendations? I am still new to all of this and trying to learn- :shrug:
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Streaming video thread-

Post by skipper »

I have been an Xfinity customer for a long time. I get the basic package deal and one movie channel. I also subscribe to Netflix, It works pretty good but the variety isn't what I would call up to date. I also watch a lot of movies on YouTube. You can watch for free if you watch the ads along with the movie.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

1,585 views on this post and only one reply????

Too much effort to type, huh?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

Speaking for myself, not too busy to reply, just occupied in trying to keep from freezing! :cold:

We are fortunate in that high-speed fiber optic internet cable service was recently brought to the neighborhood now giving those who sign up, the option for speeds of; 200 mbps, 500 mbps or 940 mbps, depending on the needs of each household. For those with heavy internet usage (eg. larger families with several kids on their iPhones all the time) or those with video conferencing needs, the 940 mbps brings almost one gigabyte of lightning-fast speed. For those of us with only mild needs, 200 mbps brings us an option 4 times faster over what we had recently plus it was cheaper...BONUS!
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I would love to get 200 MPS here. You just cant beat fiber-

John Maynard Keynes
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Small town living bit rural enough. Not to many trees to block signal. Definitely no terrain features. Flat as flat can be. We stream everything. Verizon put up a Tower 300 yards from town and were offering a very low price. Already had them for phones. 10 years fixed for 10 dollars a month. I'm curious to see if thats honored down the road. Haven't had a problem yet with speed. TV's and wireless internet. Nothing too crazy for work wise.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

ATT just started offering fiber optic service at blazing speeds. If it comes to your area, sign up.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Our cabin is in the "sticks" of north central WI. We use T-Mobile over the air home internet. The nice thing about our internet gateway is that it's portable so it's also our internet gateway at home in east central WI. In the north woods, the speed we have is suitable to stream prime video, Pluto etc. The speed we enjoy at home is far more than adequate for anything we want to do over the inter-web. For an advertised price of $50/mo lifetime, we will continue with this program until they break their promise or we find something better.
Shoot straight & often.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

WesF I am going to be in that part of the world later this year. We are going to vacation up in Duluth with the idea of coming back through Indian head country. I have been all across I-94 but never north of that.

John Maynard Keynes
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

Tom Kat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 am WesF I am going to be in that part of the world later this year. We are going to vacation up in Duluth with the idea of coming back through Indian head country. I have been all across I-94 but never north of that.
Tom Kat, Wisconsin has a lot of beautiful areas to enjoy, especially up in the north woods. Duluth/Superior, Bayfield & Ashland have some fantastic scenery especially if you have the chance to take in the Apostle Islands. Enjoy your vacation!
Shoot straight & often.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thank you for the advice, I will check it out. I have been all over the southern side and even up to Fon du Lac. Time to see some more

John Maynard Keynes