Quiet as a Mouse Around Here

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Quiet as a Mouse Around Here

Post by Tom Kat »

Someone, somewhere, is paying to host this site and to keep the URL paid. This site is a fantastic resource for search engines, if nothing else. I have googled lots of stuff and have many old threads pop up.

Maybe the owner would like to sell this site?

I have an internet friend in a small town in Nebraska, He is a computer genius, a code writer. The mayor of this little town pissed him off somehow, and they let the URL expire. Larry bought it, and changed it...and made them all look foolish.

Check this out. https://larryathey.com/minatare/index.html

They nicely asked them to release the city url, but Larry was pissed. Finally the mayor died and he let it go. He could have sold it to them...

This is all food for thought. IMO the 204ruger.com name has some value, a new owner could do a lot with it.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

So I checked, 204Ruger.com is paid. 204ruger.net is available for $16.50

Anyone could buy that and start another forum. With a little know how, a lot of the people that come here and lurk could be siphoned off to a new web site.

Ask me how I know! LOL

I guess my whole point is, we are like a rudderless ship adrift in the current. Every ship needs a captain.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:30 amI guess my whole point is, we are like a rudderless ship adrift in the current. Every ship needs a captain.
We indeed do have a captain, and he goes by the appropriate name of "Skipper". And as a fellow moderator, I feel he is doing a very good job here, runs the yearly shoot-off, and puts much of his time into running the forum smoothly.

The forum works as-is in it's current format. Other than perhaps a new forum title that includes other small caliber cartridges, it's good to go if more would contribute quality input, good pics, and interesting topics.

Pro Tip: If anyone cares to post up their adventure, opinion or post response, it's a good idea to proof-read what you're about to post before hitting 'enter". :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Nothing against Skipper at all. But...I have started and owned and ran and sold a couple of forums in the last 20 years. Im not just a guy spouting off.

I DO like the members here and believe this site is a valuable resource...but I also have a vision of how great it COULD be.

Good content helps...but its the little things. Let me say this Rick, I wish we had an active owner.

Oh well. I enjoy my time here.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Years back 204 Ruger.com could also be reached through a domain named RugerHunting.Com. That domain is up for sale if anyone is interested. I have no interest in owning or managing a forum. Sorry, but it just doesn't interest me. I do what I do out of a respect for Brian and his son Tarrin. If you are an old enough, longstanding member to remember 204Shooter, aka Brian, you would know why I have so much respect for him. Enough to volunteer as an Admin just to help out.

We also have one of the nicest, most experienced, small caliber EXPERTS around who happens to call this website home. I won't mention any names, but his initials are RIO. His experience and knowledge of the 204 Ruger and other small caliber rifles is second to none. For one, I am glad he spends time sharing his vast knowledge right here on this forum. That, in itself, is enough to cover the cost of membership. Oh, I forgot, membership here doesn't cost a red cent. How wonderful.

Just an aside, the 204 Ruger is a peculiar little cartridge that has its own set of idiosyncrasies enough to drive an average shooter to drink. The information shared here can help keep you out of those pitfalls. If the majority of longstanding members here says something is important it would pay dividends to listen carefully.

Did someone say it's time for a postal shoot???
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I think I am ready for a postal shoot.

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Some how jumped from here to the photo instructions.

Thanks skipper for pointing me on the how too