I had an unwelcome visitor last night...

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

I had an unwelcome visitor last night...

Post by Tom Kat »

I have been aware of a skunk in my are for a couple weeks. This is their breeding season after all.

One did a spray in my yard last night. I got a live trap and was curious to know of anyone else has had to deal with this problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Man does it smell bad...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Re: I had an unwelcome visitor last night...

Post by SecretCode »

All I've ever heard was to have a blanket near by or over the trap to begin with and slowly cover the trap and to drown 'em in the river or slough. Thankfully have never had to trap them. Always have been able to pick them off with a shotgun or rifle well away from dwellings.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Sounds like a job for Forced Amphibious Recon Marine with a night scope. Just stay in the house!!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I got one last spring with a Model 62 pump .22

This one has led a charmed life ever since, I have missed him twice last spring.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Over the years and even now around the old cabin up here on the mountain I trap one here and there in a live trap. If I can get a good clear shot at it without getting the critter excited, I will shoot it in the head/brain with the 17HMR. Quick and they usually don't spray.
Back when I worked LE in this area, we would bet calls on some being around the homes and often we would, if possible and they were not all excited and would hold still we would shot them also in the head with our service revovlers. ( No way can or would they do that in todays society). Otherwise we and the homeowner would just have to leave them alone and let them move on, on their own sweet time. :)